Subject: Monster Full-Move "Toward" vs. "To" Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
This is a question that has come up during our second campaign (primarily relating to the Gorm) as to how to properly execute the Move portion of the monster AI cards. We've noticed that some cards order you to full-move "To" the target and others order you to full-move "Toward" the target. The KDM Guide Glossary defines a full-move as moving the monster the entirety of their move attribute. Therefore we have been playing as such:

1) When the card reads "To" a destination (aka the targeted survivor) is specified, so that the monster moves until it either reaches the maximum number of spaces it is allowed, or until it reaches it's destination, at which point it stops.

2) When the card reads "Toward" it is not a destination that is designated but rather a general direction, and thus the monster moves to the targeted survivor, but then if there is movement remaining to achieve full-move, will continue to move over and/or past the targeted survivor in the same direction.

This distinction makes a pretty big difference in how the monster is operated, and syntactically would seem to be correct. I haven't been able to find any rules or postings, official or unofficial, which address this issue, but I have a nagging feeling that maybe I'm missing something. Any thoughts or evidence for or against would be appreciated.

P.S. I didn't have the game in front of me when I wrote this so I don't have any concrete examples of where the two differing wordings appear on hand. I'll post examples when I get the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
"Move & Attack Target actions are the most common
way a monster will attack survivors. Move & Attack
Target, unless specifically stated otherwise, is an instruction
to move the monster towards its target up
to its current movement or until adjacent, turn to face
them, and attack using the action's attack profile. If a
monster is already adjacent to its target, it will turn to
face its target and attack without moving."

"Some actions will simply state to full move towards
target, then attack target. This is effectively the
same as a Move & Attack Target action."

page 69

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Excellent, had a suspicion I was missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game in front of me either, but we noticed that difference especially with the Antelope. When a L2 Antelope uses "Diabolical", it is instructed to move TOWARD a random survivor in the indicated zone. We played her FULL move, as it is much more difficult this way - most of the time it hit more than one survivor on its rampage, instead of stopping at the first reached survivor. And so it stopped further away from the survivors, so that it was more difficult to handle, too.

If we would have been able to stop her with a survivor that tanks this trait, it would have been lots easier.

Hope we got that right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Fluidkarma wrote:
I don't have the game in front of me either, but we noticed that difference especially with the Antelope. When a L2 Antelope uses "Diabolical", it is instructed to move TOWARD a random survivor in the indicated zone. We played her FULL move, as it is much more difficult this way - most of the time it hit more than one survivor on its rampage, instead of stopping at the first reached survivor. And so it stopped further away from the survivors, so that it was more difficult to handle, too.

If we would have been able to stop her with a survivor that tanks this trait, it would have been lots easier.

Hope we got that right.

That was correct. If the full move ends in an attack then it functions the same as a move and attack. If there is no attack after the full move then you don't stop at the target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Poots
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
That card is incorrect, we are fixing it for the 1.4 update to read move THROUGH the target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here he comes from the darkness, bearing a lantern of true wisdom.

Seriously Adam, we need an update on YOU KNOW WHAT*

_
* and if you don't: we need update on Lantern Festival. A hint about what to expect on a new kickstarter wouldn't hurt as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
kingdomdeath wrote:
That card is incorrect, we are fixing it for the 1.4 update to read move THROUGH the target.

I guess this also applies to the butcher's Furious Crown hit location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.