Subject: Are there any games out there like... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a long time Magic the Gathering fan and I really enjoyed Wizards Hydra and Hoard decks that came out during the Theros block. These AI ran decks scratched the itch for MTG at home when friends were busy and I could not get to the local game store.

My question to the community is are there any card driven games that have the same concept. The one stipulation for me is that I want (if possible) for it to be a card only game (no board, no miniatures, no dice) The game does not have to be combat driven and theme could be anything as long as it pits the player against the AI deck.

I know what I am asking for sounds a lot (if not identical) to an LCG but I do own the Lord of the Rings LCG and I am not sure how to describe it but it just doesn't feel like the MTG Hydra and Hoard experience. If the Community feels that the LCG system is my best option so be it but I would rather ask and see what all of you have to say before simply assuming there is nothing better out there for me to enjoy.

Last helpful hint as to what I am looking for: Ideally it would be a game with pre constructed player decks that once you got familiar with the game enough you could dismantle and deck build while also supplying you with a variety of AI decks to battle. If you all could help me find something that I may have overlooked or have missed other then LCG's your comments would be much appreciated.

Thank you for all the help you give players like me and as always Happy Gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds exactly like Sentinels of the Multiverse. Completely a card game, you (and your teammates) vs. the AI deck. It's listed as 2-5, but there are apparently people who play and enjoy it solo.

Edit: you can't construct your own deck, but you can choose which hero's deck to use, and there are different villain decks to play against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn

I think that might be what you are looking for.

If you ever want to delve into a game that DOES have miniatures and a board, but was actually the inspiration (somewhat) for Magic: The Gathering, check out: Wiz-War (eighth edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Ashes: Rise of the Pheonixborn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashes is great i own it but to my knowledge there are no AI deck to play against like a solo mode are there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I didn't know about the MTG challenge decks.
Is this something worth trying?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Lister
United Kingdom
Southport
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse definitely sounds like what you are after. The only thing it doesn't do is allow for deckbuilding/construction, the decks are fixed but there are so many of them (heroes, villains, environments) that there are so many combinations. Even playing the same heroes in a different player order can make a difference.

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn is a very fine game, but I'm not aware of a solo/AI option for it.

The new Arkham Horror: The Card Game might be worth looking into.

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set (or one of the other variations) might fit the bill too.

Finally, Star Realms with one of the expansions (I forget which one, think it's the Gambit set?) has an AI mode, but you might be better off just playing the app for solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero Realms with Hero Realms: The Ruin of Thandar Campaign Deck?

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely check out Dungeon Crawler

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Arkham Horror and LotR LCGs will be the best for tweaking decks after you get a hang of the game while playing against an AI. SotM is solid, but decks can't be tweaked although there is such a large amount of variety in the game I'm not sure that is a bad thing. Ashes is awesome, but there's no AI to play against. Patherfinder allows your character to evolve, but you don't really prebuild a deck to my knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:

dejunking wrote:
Ashes is great i own it but to my knowledge there are no AI deck to play against like a solo mode are there?

I will admit that I am at fault; when you put hydra and hoard decks, I assumed that was the duel deck for that block. I stopped playing Mtg at the beginning of the Return to Ravnica and didn't jump back in until Kahns. At any rate, I don't know of any card game other than LCG's that can be played solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:

Like I mentioned above they are nothing like playing a 1v1 match against an actual reacting opponent and the AI decks are easily able to be beaten if you build around them but during the Theros block with a standard Theros block legal deck they did satisfy the itch when there was no one to play with. Also the oversized Garuuk planeswalker is fun to play against but again is able to be beaten if you so choose to build a deck against his weaknesses. They are a fun way to pass the time and I wish there were more than 3 to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gordon
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
no realy this is blank
badge
HOBBES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Disco Stupac wrote:
Sentinels of the Multiverse definitely sounds like what you are after. The only thing it doesn't do is allow for deckbuilding/construction, the decks are fixed but there are so many of them (heroes, villains, environments) that there are so many combinations. Even playing the same heroes in a different player order can make a difference.

I can appreciate this statement but I think that there are expansions to SOTM that do allow some "deckbuilding" style elements. Particularly Sentinels of the Multiverse: Vengeance and Sentinels of the Multiverse: Villains of the Multiverse. These two expansions split the traditional AI villain deck, which typically gets one turn before players then environment, into mini villians working as a team. Each of them get a turn after each player.

So instead of turn order being:
Villain (V), PLayer 1 (P1), P2, P3, Environment(E)
you would have
V1, P1, V2, P2, V3, P3, E

Turn order as previously stated can really change up the way you are able to hand off abilities or negotiate the card draw.

The nice thing about different decks is that they are very streamlined to themes, I am rust on MTG terminology but there are some player decks that Voltron (Absolute Zero), that Ramp (Tachyon), support/token generate (Legacy) and control (Visionary) just in the base game.

Each of the villain AI decks work differently, with different win conditions they are trying to develop (Baron blade for instance on one side has a timer that can "Pull the moon into the earth")

The Environments are interesting as well in that they (like planechase cards) change overall board state and require adaption and are often quite thematic. Sometimes they give the players a bonus or att a global +1 damage to all damage, or they sick a pack of velociraptors on the weakest thing with hitpoints on the board?)

There are some "Maths" to this game that make it "fiddly" for some but as a MTG player you are going to be much more used to comboing of other cards, and looking for deeper interactiosn to create"infintie combos" or other crazy broken awesomeness. Just watch out the game sometimes gets away from you with really bad combos in the AI too.

There are apps on Android or IOS (even steam) where you can try for a much lower cost prior to buying into SOTM. But I think you will love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also recommend Sentinels of the Multiverse; great solo experience, and over twenty different Villain AI's.

You can hop over to Steam or an app store and pick up the free Demo version. This is a limited set up, but it will give you an idea of the "feel" of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Sentinels of the Multiverse.
1 to look at probably BattleCON: Devastation of Indines
1 that gives a nice quick fix is Rune Age which is much better with Rune Age: Oath and Anvil if you can get them.

I have two more up on the shelf here like...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.