Subject: New to gaming, what are your essential games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CT Rentschler
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
Like the title to this thread says, I am new to tabletop gaming and wanted to know what are some board games that you think are essential for a board game collection? I know part of this depends on subjective tastes but I just wanted to get some recommendations for must buys or games to get when starting your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Essential lighter games to start a collection for me would be titles like:
Lords of Waterdeep
Pandemic
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne

Games like this tend to let new gamers get a taste of what modern board gaming can be and from there most usually fall deeper and deeper into this wonderful rabbit hole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms or Dominion to add a deck builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gateway:
Catan
Ticket to Ride
Alhambra

Worker Placement
Stone Age

Social Deduction
The Resistance

Cooperative
Pandemic
Flash Point: Fire Rescue

Drafting
Sushi Go!
7 Wonders

Role Selection
Citadels

Deck Building
Dominion.
Star Realms

2 Player
Lost Cities
Battle Line

Party Game
Codenames
Incan Gold
Wits & Wagers

More ideas here: http://www.dicetower.com/game-video/top-ten-gateway-games-ne...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World
King of Tokyo
Sheriff of Nottingham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter
The Resistance: Avalon
Coup

All of these are fantastic, pretty easy to learn and teach and still exemplify what is best about gaming to me. Others will prefer things that involve less player interaction and more puzzling things out on your own. But I love these three to this day because the way you interact with your friends as you play then.

Oh and for co ops, Pandemic, NOT pandemic legacy, remains the gold standard for new gamers.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ctrentsch wrote:
Like the title to this thread says, I am new to tabletop gaming and wanted to know what are some board games that you think are essential for a board game collection? I know part of this depends on subjective tastes but I just wanted to get some recommendations for must buys or games to get when starting your collection.

The backbone of your collection needs to be a few games that are easy to get into and that will reward repeated plays. For that, I suggest the following:

Pandemic
Ticket to Ride or Takenoko (I prefer Takenoko, but TtR is a modern classic, and most everyone will like it).
Spyfall and/or The Resistance
Sushi Go Party! and/or 7 Wonders
King of Tokyo (HIGHLY recommend getting the Power Up Expansion as well).

This should have something for everyone, and should be good for repeated playthroughs. Depending on your group(s) there might be other games that you'll like better (e.g. my group prefers Among the Stars over 7 Wonders or Sushi Go), but these are a really good base, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Keil
United States
Blue Springs
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My must haves that i like to call The 3 P's : Power Grid, Puerto Rico, Pandemic

Caverna also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is the one game I think everyone should own. It's easy to teach/learn, quick to play, new people tend to enjoy it, and people who have played it 100 times can usually still enjoy it. It also has a whole bunch of expansions and maps you can add to keep it fresh.

Beyond that, it really depends on your tastes and who you're able to play games with. Having at least one dexterity game is probably also a good investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Beginner Wargame: War of 1812

Light 4X Wargame: Conquest of Paradise

General information on wargames: here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know some of these have been said but that's how you'll know what your looking for.

Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Pandemic
7 Wonders

Next up:

2 player - Patchwork, Battle Line, Jaipur
Auction - Biblios, Ra, Isle of Skye
Race - Jamaica, Formula D, Splendor
Dexterity - Animal Upon Animal, Coconuts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An-Jen Tai
United States
Palmyra
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm into heavier games so this reflects my tastes:

Agricola: One of the earliest worker placement games and one that has not outworn its welcome. Thanks to the Occup/MI cards, provides near endless variety

Glory to Rome: Wild and crazy, not recommended for those who dislike chaos and rapid changes of fortune. Rewards tactical excellence and strategic flexibility.

Dominant Species: Multi-player war game disguised as a Euro. Can be played as a negotiation game or not. Dripping with theme.

Railways of the World/Steam: Classic pick up and deliver. Can be a relaxed affair or totally unforgiving by changing one simple rule.

Saint Petersburg: An optimization game that epitomizes elegance. I still prefer the original, but the new version with the market is more balanced, though I think it feels a bit awkward and tacked on.

Twilight Struggle: May be the most rewarding 2 player experience in gaming. A political simulation of the highest order and a damn fine game to boot.

A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Axcid wrote:
My must haves that i like to call The 3 P's : Power Grid, Puerto Rico, Pandemic

Caverna also.

OK. what part of the 3 Ps does that fit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no "must buys"

If you're new, your best bet is to check out a meetup and try as many games as you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
WELCOMEblankCtrentsch

My holy trinity are (With a focus on Gateway and tried and tested):

Catan
Ticket to Ride: Europe or Ticket to Ride
Pandemic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schulte

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second a lot of these so ill just put ones that i didn't see

7 wonders - for 3 to 7 players fun hand sharing mechanic
beyond baker street - for good memory interesting tactics
camel up - again large group, racing
covert - just came out but a great 4 person game
five tribes - has a good feel and flow
dominion - this one is a deck builder lots of expansions if you like that
qwarriors - a dice game that works like a deck builder, dice masters is the same thing with more theme
fuse - i usually dislike dexterity games but dice rolling and a timer got me

*edit* for spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How has no one suggested Splendor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
There are no "must buys"

If you're new, your best bet is to check out a meetup and try as many games as you can.

Yeah I agree.

A person's games collection is a reflection of their own personal tastes. If you can, play lots of games before you decide to buy any. If you're new to gaming, you won't know what you like yet. There's no point buying the popular games if they're not right for you. You'll just end up selling and trading a lot (been there... done that....).

Having said that... if my entire collection exploded and I only had ten games that I could buy for my new entire collection... it would probably be something like:

- Glory to Rome
- Power Grid
- Lords of Vegas
- Battle Line
- Tichu
- Terra Mystica
- Tumblin' Dice
- Pictomania
- Codenames
- Tigris and Euphrates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The suggestions here are good, but there are a couple factors to consider first.

1. Who will you primarily be playing with? A bunch of new-to-games people? Kids or teens? Experienced gamers in a meet-up group? Your spouse/partner?

2. How many players will you typically expect? If you always will have 6+ people over to play, it will drastically change the games you should be targeting. Same for if you mostly game with your partner.

Most importantly, don't just look at the top-100 BGG rankings to determine what games to buy. These rankings tend to favour certain types of games that may or may not appeal to you or work within your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Keil
United States
Blue Springs
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

OK. what part of the 3 Ps does that fit?

I'm not sure how you don't understand what i said.

Power Grid
Puerto Rico
Pandemic

3 of my favorite games of all time. All start with P... there are 3 of them... 3 P's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Armstrong
United States
Rolette
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
WELCOMEblankCtrentsch

My holy trinity are (With a focus on Gateway and tried and tested):

Catan
Ticket to Ride: Europe or Ticket to Ride
Pandemic

I'd echo these ones too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG. Lots of good suggestions here. I always tell people to just get games that sound appealing to them. Obviously, it's good to have a starting point though, so take a look at the suggestions you get here, maybe watch some play-through videos, then buy what excites you, but don't buy a ton all at once. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestions above, but the best is the suggestion to find a gaming meetup group or gaming night at a local game store. The chance to try a variety of games without having to buy them first is extremely helpful. Learn what you like and what types of players you will most often play with; that will guide your purchases.

Having said that, something that is missing from most of the suggestions above is a good auction game. These tend to work very well with new gamers and get people to interact in friendly competition. For a great starter I recommend either For Sale or Medici. Both are quick to learn and hold up to repeated plays.

For other collections basics, I second the suggestions above for Ticket to Ride, Pandemic and Splendor. They have all become standards with very broad appeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
Spyfall and/or The Resistance

I know people have issues with The Resistance, but Spyfall is even more group dependent. I would also get the first expansion to The Resistance or simply get the Avalon version. Also, get Codenames.

No Thanks! and For Sale are also great entry level games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb

Euro Games:
Agricola or updated Agricola otherwise known as Caverna: The Cave Farmers.
Carcassonne is a great tile laying game but should be played with Builders and Traders for maximum playability.
One of the Small World games, I prefer Underground mostly due to the races available.

Abstract Games:
Hive After purchasing this it has never entered my home. I take it everywhere!
Pentago
And of course the old standbys: Chess and Go
If you are looking for an excellent chess variant you should look into Navia Dratp. It used to be a collectible game but it has since died and you can find it very inexpensively and it has completely replaced Chess for me (but I was never a huge Chess fan anyway).

Wargames:
Twilight Struggle Excellent, somewhat easy to learn Card Driven wargame.
Squad Leader is an old The Avalon Hill Game Co wargame at the tactical level that is cheap, easy to find and uses the programmed learning method of rules which flattens the learning curve significantly.
Combat Commander: Europe is basically card driven Squad Leader.

Ameri-Trash:
Fortress America is a classic Red Dawn themed game that, if you get the Fantasy Flight version, can be found on clearance shelves at many LGS.
Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game is a Risk variant that is infinitely more interesting than Risk.

Good luck on your search and welcome to the hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.