César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the briefing:

"The selected platoon is the only unit that you may move beyond Row 1"

So if I detach an assault team from a platoon's squad, that AT does not belong to the platoon and therefore is not able to move, is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not play it that way.

I don't think you're going to find a crystal clear answer to your question in the rules for patrols. You will have to do what makes the most sense.

The men that the assault team was formed from are in the platoon so the assault team is also from that platoon. After their scouting is done you can merge them back to that platoon if you want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
I would not play it that way.

I don't think you're going to find a crystal clear answer to your question in the rules for patrols. You will have to do what makes the most sense.

The men that the assault team was formed from are in the platoon so the assault team is also from that platoon. After their scouting is done you can merge them back to that platoon if you want to.

On the other hand, assault teams will ignore «squadplatoon move» orders, and may be ordered by any platoon HQ. It is my understanding that they are not attached to any particular platoon once in the ground. Not that I am too sure anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct. They are "technically/legally" not part of your platoon.

But your original rules question and proposed answer would have made it impossible for me to split a few guys off from my squad and tell them to move ahead to see if anything was there. I am 100% sure that's not what the designer meant - there's no real-world reason for something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually what I did was dettaching assault teams from each and every platoon and sending them forward. In my mind, the instruction was "you cannot move units belonging to a platoon other than the active one". So I used units from 1st PTN and lots of assault teams.

Someone questioned my approach, and suggested me asking here, and so I did. But not before re-reading the briefing for the scenario to check the actual wording.

Well, finally started over again and completed all three patrols never detaching a team -just in case. It was easy as pie anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
there's no real-world reason for something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
NoMasOvejas wrote:
Actually what I did was dettaching assault teams from each and every platoon and sending them forward. In my mind, the instruction was "you cannot move units belonging to a platoon other than the active one". So I used units from 1st PTN and lots of assault teams.

CletusVanDamme wrote:
peterk1 wrote:

Yes, I concur that there's no reason to do that.. but what bugs me it's that seems that RAW (Rules As Written) permits this gamey tactic.
Reminds me in some ways to the "retreat sleaze" tactic.

Anyway, RAI (Rules as Intended) it's clear that you can't make this tactic (IMHO)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:
peterk1 wrote:

I know next too nothing about real world military tactics. I mostly push cardboard chits around

By the way I also toyed with the idea of giving each squad a field phone and a couple phone lines, so that they would always be in command. After all, nobody else would need them. Eventually I decided against, don't regret it. not much risk moving around when it's dark, even without cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.