$20.00
$15.00
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
So this is an extension of the responses to our recent MRA infestation (noting it's mostly directed at Darthhugo and dashi, and to short-term high volume members of eras past).

The question is, while we all love occasionally throwing down insults (I think every one of us does it), is a consistently aggressive and attack oriented posting style effective?

I'd argue "NO" for a few reasons:

1) It's relatively easy to ignore
2) It turns off your putative allies, which are either a useful support structure or your intended audience (depending on whether you're trying to discuss or just trolling)
3) It fails to expose the full extent of various beliefs.

Points 1) and 2) are pretty self-explanatory, so I want to expand on point 3) some:

Let's presume a few intents for engaging someone that takes a crazy position (left or right):

First, you might be mad and just wanting to call them out. Insults work fine for this, but they're shallow - you're not really pulling their positions out for proper scorn. Getting an opportunity for everyone else to see and dislike the full extent of their unpleasantness is far more destructive than even the worst insult could be.

Second, you might that you're trolling them (extremists make easy trolling targets). The insults they'll shrug off, they don't care what you think anyways. Even worse, a troll needs an audience, and if you're making your potential audience hate you too by being uncleverly aggressive, there's not really anything to the point.

Also, it's the weakest form of trolling. Master level trolls are all about getting their opponents to engage and escalate. Just yelling at them doesn't let the proper process even begin.

Third, let's assume you're actually trying to engage them. If you're just yelling insults, this was never your intent anyways, but nevertheless;

The goal then is the same, you need to draw out the positions. It's not likely that you'll change their mind, but at the very least getting them to articulate and defend those positions makes them think about them and at most, getting the positions stated gives them no wiggle room when you successfully destroy their positions.

~~~

So TL;DR A softer approach is more effective regardless of your intent in posting on RSP. As a bonus it makes it much more bitey when you dive into an occasional snip of pure invective. It's win-win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
What is MRA?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you said "high volume member"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Whatever. Fuck off.

This guy. Biggest dick evar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Whatever. Fuck off.

Heh it kind of proves my point. If it were dashi doing that it wouldn't be funny. But since BJ usually sin't quite so aggro, it works :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darthhugo's conversion or destruction thing didn't deserve the thought you put it into it. It's orthodoxy, like any other, permitting neither dissent nor diversity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
windsagio wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Whatever. Fuck off.

Heh it kind of proves my point. If it were dashi doing that it wouldn't be funny. But since BJ usually sin't quite so aggro, it works :D

He's just mad because when he tried to blame NRA members for his mom's suicide, I told him it was more likely his fault. But as you said in your OP, if your schtick is just rage, rage, rage all the time (like his was), people aren't going to take you seriously. I just assumed he was being a dick like he always did prior to that. I didn't imagine his mother actually killed herself.

I presume him spelling it 'evar' means he was joking too.

DAMN this stuff gets confusing :(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
So this is an extension of the responses to our recent MRA infestation (noting it's mostly directed at Darthhugo and dashi, and to short-term high volume members of eras past).

The question is, while we all love occasionally throwing down insults (I think every one of us does it), is a consistently aggressive and attack oriented posting style effective?

2) It turns off your putative allies, which are either a useful support structure or your intended audience (depending on whether you're trying to discuss or just trolling)

Points 1) and 2) are pretty self-explanatory, so I want to expand on point 3) some:

Let's presume a few intents for engaging someone that takes a crazy position (left or right):

First, you might be mad and just wanting to call them out. Insults work fine for this, but they're shallow - you're not really pulling their positions out for proper scorn. Getting an opportunity for everyone else to see and dislike the full extent of their unpleasantness is far more destructive than even the worst insult could be.

Second, you might that you're trolling them (extremists make easy trolling targets). The insults they'll shrug off, they don't care what you think anyways. Even worse, a troll needs an audience, and if you're making your potential audience hate you too by being uncleverly aggressive, there's not really anything to the point.

Also, it's the weakest form of trolling. Master level trolls are all about getting their opponents to engage and escalate. Just yelling at them doesn't let the proper process even begin.

Third, let's assume you're actually trying to engage them. If you're just yelling insults, this was never your intent anyways, but nevertheless;

The goal then is the same, you need to draw out the positions. It's not likely that you'll change their mind, but at the very least getting them to articulate and defend those positions makes them think about them and at most, getting the positions stated gives them no wiggle room when you successfully destroy their positions.

~~~

So TL;DR A softer approach is more effective regardless of your intent in posting on RSP. As a bonus it makes it much more bitey when you dive into an occasional snip of pure invective. It's win-win!

Sorry, were we discussing effective protocol for discussions on a website dedicated to toys?

If so, SillyFuckingDiscussion ()
If not, UNSecurityCouncil ()
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
windsagio wrote:

~~~

Sorry, were we discussing effective protocol for discussions on a website dedicated to toys?

I just want it to be more interesting, and this aggro schtick makes it duller :(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
windsagio wrote:

~~~

I just want it to be more interesting, and this aggro schtick makes it duller

OK, for you, I'll add 10% less aggro to my posts.

See, I can compromise. But I can't ever go 100% aggro free, as then why the fuck would I spend any time in RSP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
windsagio wrote:

~~~

But if he's having fun, then fuck it if it is being made yet even more furtherly intolerableness for everybody else who also shares this space.

"I paid for my ticket to come to this ball game... what are YOU doing bringing your kid to a game where I am gonna get drunk and scream obscenities at the left fielder for three hours? What kind of parent are you?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
Aww thanks <3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
windsagio wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
windsagio wrote:

~~~

But if he's having fun, then fuck it if it is being made yet even more furtherly intolerableness for everybody else who also shares this space.

"I paid for my ticket to come to this ball game... what are YOU doing bringing your kid to a game where I am gonna get drunk and scream obscenities at the left fielder for three hours? What kind of parent are you?"

Sorry that you have to find your life's purpose and socialization stuck in BGG RSP. Uber fare conversations not stimulating 'nuff for you?

For you, I'll try extra hard to make your little starfish life more meaningful and bearable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
windsagio wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
windsagio wrote:

~~~

Hey, at least you got the kids off the compound. You are a good father.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALL UPPERCASE
msg tools
DO YOU EVER GET THAT FEELING THAT YOUR WIT IS SO AMAZING AND CRUSHING THAT YOU CAN'T DELIVER JUST ONE REPLY, LIKE THE ZINGERS ARE JUST BUBBLING UP UNCONTROLLABLY FROM YOUR FINGERTIPS AND EVERYONE IS IN AWE AND THEY THINK YOU'RE HILARIOUS AND THE GUY YOU'RE MOCKING GOES HOME IN SHAME BECAUSE HE JUST CAN'T HANDLE THE EPIC VERBAL TROUNCING YOU JUST HANDED HIS ASS IN FRONT OF EVERYONE?

YEAH, ME TOO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RUNONSENTENCES wrote:
DO YOU EVER GET THAT FEELING THAT YOUR WIT IS SO AMAZING AND CRUSHING THAT YOU CAN'T DELIVER JUST ONE REPLY, LIKE THE ZINGERS ARE JUST BUBBLING UP UNCONTROLLABLY FROM YOUR FINGERTIPS AND EVERYONE IS IN AWE AND THEY THINK YOU'RE HILARIOUS AND THE GUY YOU'RE MOCKING GOES HOME IN SHAME BECAUSE HE JUST CAN'T HANDLE THE EPIC VERBAL TROUNCING YOU JUST HANDED HIS ASS IN FRONT OF EVERYONE?

YEAH, ME TOO.

Awwwwww... look at the sock-puppet learning to touch themselves for the first time. I'm glad we all could be here with you, because its a big step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.