Subject: Any simple starter decks out there? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Rodger
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have someone who saw my copy of the game and said "I like Game of Thrones, can we try this some time?" The thing is, he doesn't have a lot of gaming experience and my first thought is the game would be way too complex for him. But my second thought is that's unfair and I should do my best to find a good introduction.

So I'm wondering if anyone has or knows of a pair of dirt simple decks. Not ones that even show off the game to the best of its abilities, but ones that have the least weird interactions, least game text and easiest information to teach.

And if not, any recommendations on the starting point? I'm inclined to guess that Stark and The Watch are probably the most straight forward and have the best bet for a very basic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had success teaching the game with the decks suggested by the Learn to Play guide. Any reason why not just use those?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rodger
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll look at them again, but I'm kind of wondering if there are even more simple ones. Can you build a deck with characters devoid of individual rules, for instance. A bunch of armies, a few generic knights and only a couple unique characters you have to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Solsumo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try treating the text box of the cards blank for the early games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rodger
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
True, but that might muck up the cost/economy. Now I'm curious if you simply can. Are there enough simple cards out there? Sounds like a project.

On a related note, does anyone know what cards make up the HBO box? I assume the text is all the same, but I can't really tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The HBO box is its own separate game. Although mechanically it is similar it isn't made to be played with 2nd or 1st edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rodger
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
The HBO box is its own separate game. Although mechanically it is similar it isn't made to be played with 2nd or 1st edition.

Is it close enough to be used as a teaching game?

Edit: Actually, looking in to it, this seems very much what I'm looking for... fewer keywords, simplified text. I'd rather get a chance to actually see it before buying it, but I may have to take a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.