Hide
12 Posts

504» Forums » Variants

Subject: 504 of Legacy Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
123123 123123
msg tools
Did anyone ever try a Legacy Variant of "504" in which the results of one world have an impact on the starting conditions in the world you play next? Any ideas? Experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no idea how that could work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do a simple legacy/"fable" (as in Fabled Fruit) thing of keeping almost the same world next time but just changing one of the 3 modules, so that your worlds gradually evolve with each play. E.g. 123, 127, 427, 421, etc.

(I don't know by what method you would change it. Randomly pick a new one for a random slot would seem the easiest & most natural way...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I was wondering how you could ever do an expansion to 504. This is it. I hope Friese considers this, because I think it would be pretty neat and may encourage people to play more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, while we are at it, what about the boat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Mesa wrote:
I was wondering how you could ever do an expansion to 504. This is it. I hope Friese considers this, because I think it would be pretty neat and may encourage people to play more games.

I think 504 demands expansions. Just add modules A, B, and C, put the necessary components in a box, add an updated Book of Worlds, and your good to go!

Alternatively, add modules 1', 2', and 3' (variants of modules 1, 2, and 3 that are played instead of the originals), reuse the original components for those modules, put the updated Book of Worlds in the box, and boom!

At one point I contemplated writing up rules for an alternate military module based on Risk. You could use the Risk combat rules in TOP 1 or 2, with VPs for territory occupied in TOP 1, and income for territory and some sort of continent equivalent in TOP 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
123123 123123
msg tools
How to play the "Legacy" variant of "504"
Jack Spirio wrote:
no idea how that could work

Well then you didn't you know that anyone who has a normal copy of "504", has the functional "Legacy" expansion already (smile).

It doesn't matter which of the worlds is following which world. The legacy variant always works the same. It adds depth to each world.

One of you was asking what the boat is for. Well, the boat is the most important part of the "Legacy" version of "504".

Players need the boat to carry goods from one world to the other. The problem is that you have to decide whether you want to use an item to win the world you are currently in or whether you want your worker or cart to board the boat with it and drop the item there so that it can be used to win one of the future worlds. This may not be an option for the assumed winner of the present world but it may be worth a thought for the others. It pimps two player games massively as you don't want your opponent to outperform you the next game(s). Yes, boarded items may accumulate and, yes, some items may not be useful or even part of in the next world(s) but there may be other worlds in which these items are the key to victory.

Know your gaming group well enough to predict which world(s) may possibly be the next and you may board the boat with the best items the present world has to offer.

The "Legacy" version gives rise to a lot of additional decision-making. Do I have what it takes to win the present world or should I place items on that boat, knowing that they will then NOT count in the present world anymore? Which world(s) could possibly follow the present world and which items may be most helpful there?

Boarded items are not part of tbe present world. The boat can transport anything deemed valuable in another world. Items can only be retrieved from the boat if items of that kind are part of that new world anyway. So despite the fact that the boat connects subsequent worlds, it can only import items that are in coherence with the regular rules.

In a new world imported items may be picked up from the boat any time at no cost. They will be placed in addition to the regular setup once picked up from the boat. The boat can only be placed on water tiles neighboring cities or grassland. They can only be entered from that side. Worlds that do not have such a scenario do not support the usage of the boat. Players who did not make use of the boat benefit from such worlds. The boat may then be used again in one (or more) of the next worlds.

How to pick up items from the boat? In case of need normal transport rules apply. Money can also be among the items the boat can carry. The boat can carry literally anything that may be of value in a future world.

"504 Legacy". That's what the boat is for.
Questions? Comments? Reviews?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Moved to Variants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This Can be to strong as in some worlds you don't Need Money anymore at the end, but you get a lot, so you just put it on the boat and win any next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
123123 123123
msg tools
Jack Spirio wrote:
This Can be to strong as in some worlds you don't Need Money anymore at the end, but you get a lot, so you just put it on the boat and win any next game.

This applies if you are the only one using the "Legacy" boat. It won't be an easy win if your opponents use the boat wisely as well. Also the way of selecting which world(s) to play next might now change. The outcome might hence not be more or less random anymore or based on gut feeling. Strategical thinking has to set in. It helps determine which items to put on the boat next, aka which items fit another world best. It might hence be worth a thought to determine which items may be best to collect in which world in which order. Result: a lot more depth. Do you agree?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
123123 123123
msg tools
Octavian wrote:
Moved to Variants

Not happy about this move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly (Gastonia / Charlotte)
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XXX123XXX wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Moved to Variants

Not happy about this move.
Then you're gonna really love the next possible move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.