Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
william whittaker
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Pertaining to the pirate king and Ghost ship

Spoiler (click to reveal)
When you draw the events that say they attack/demand respect/etc. and you roll the 9 dice or whatever it is off the top of my head, my group has been playing under the assumption there is no defense or anything like that, and that its just 9 dice rolled and 3 successes meets what the card is asking for, no subtracting dice for any reason, no extra defense or anything like that. For some reason this seemed off to me and I wanted to see if anyone interpreted things differently. We couldn't find anything in the rules to directly contradict this interpretation so I'm curious to see what others say. I just found it weird that as you got a more improved ship you were just as susceptible to these threats and you were at the mercy of RNG if they attacked and you were in the targets based on what the card says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to read the cards more carefully.

The pirate king specifies a raid value. That means its dice pool is reduced by the garrison of the target, as well as any other modifiers to raids, such as defending ships. The ghost ship is different, it just rolls a fixed number of dice (stated on the card).

Also, it's not exactly random who they attack, you have a whole round to manipulate your position to avoid being attacked (e.g., by spending your gold).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It would be helpful to list the event letters (Event A, B, whatever) in the thread title (and also to refer to them by letter outside of spoiler tags in the thread, though that's less of an issue).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
william whittaker
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I apologize for not listing the event card because it was a couple games ago that one of us got hit and it was me, I was actually hoarding gold for the milestone that game when the one that pirate king card came out and I played the whole round under the assumption that it would work like any other raid. For some reason my entire group had each decided independently that it was it's own special rule and that it was just all or nothing based only on the dice and modified by nothing. I tried to argue that that was counter intuitive to what felt like game mechanics and whats the point of upgrading your ship if they never stand a chance to fight back in these equations, because I had built up with hold upgrades and such and I later got the milestone that game that triggered the ghost ship coming into play next game. I think fundamentally the other problem is we are going into game 7-8 I believe now and I'm still the only one in our group of 5 who's ever done a single raid because they are very anti-pvp in this game for some reason, and want to just explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Defending ships only subtract 1 die in raids against your province. Hold upgrades don't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.