Subject: Adventure Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Are there any games other than Above and Below that feature adventuring but also have some amount of real game play (not just rolling dice and seeing what happens)? I'd like something with more puzzle than A&B, but everything else seems to go into dice chucking RPGs or story games with no real gameplay (Tales of the Arabian Nights, Agents of SMERSH, etc.). Legends of Andor, so far, seems to be the closest alternative, but still basically an RPG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game is your friend.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should go all in with some upcoming games. First, take a long, hard look at The 7th Continent; then, a furtive sideways glance at Arkham Horror: The Card Game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:
I think you should go all in with some upcoming games. First, take a long, hard look at The 7th Continent; then, a furtive sideways glance at Arkham Horror: The Card Game...

I was aware of 7th Continent, but it's not out yet.

I'll look at Arkham Horror. I hadn't heard of the card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T.I.M.E Stories
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyzerOfGames wrote:
Legends of Andor, so far, seems to be the closest alternative, but still basically an RPG.

I strongly recommend this game. It has the puzzle element that you want and I don't think it's anywhere close to an RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
AnalyzerOfGames wrote:
Legends of Andor, so far, seems to be the closest alternative, but still basically an RPG.

I strongly recommend this game. It has the puzzle element that you want and I don't think it's anywhere close to an RPG.

Yep! I second that. It's a great puzzle game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:

Another upcoming game you might want to look at is Gloomhaven. An adventuring game with card based combat (no dice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
Scattle - Knock Knock.mp3
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Mage Knight Board Game is your friend.

I honestly never understood why people would call Mage Knight an "adventure game". To me, it actually feels more like a racing game than an adventure game, considering the pressure to explore and level up as quickly as possible while using a deck of cards in the most efficient way possible.

I guess what I'm missing in Mage Knight for having a feeling of "adventure" is storytelling and/or doing a couple of quests. All the games which have been recommended so far feature at least one of these aspects and reading OP's entry post, he also seems to be looking for similar aspects (correct me if I'm wrong). If you are looking for a puzzle though, Mage Knight is indeed an excellent recommendation -- probably the best in the entire thread. It just doesn't feel very adventurous and often more like bookkeeping and doing taxes, especially when we are talking about the game's combat system.

Is Star Trek: Frontiers (a sci-fi retheme of Mage Knight) also considered to be an "adventure game" ?

Anyway, here are my recommendations:

Eldritch Horror

E Strikes a good balance between puzzle and storytelling, strategy and luck. Yes, the game uses dice, but it's your job to mitigate the element of luck. (For more information, see here: Don't be afraid of dice - why you should not fall for the "luck-dependency' trap.)

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

E A nice puzzle in card game format, featuring excellent artworks and nice depth for deck construction. The player(s) are playing through various scenarios with background stories and if you are a fan of the books, you will find and enjoy many nice details (like quotes of the books on most cards).

Arkham Horror: The Card Game

E Based on the core of The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, but more refined and with a stronger focus on storytelling and playing through various scenarios, which are connected in one campaign, so that the decisions and outcomes of previous scenarios have repercussions on the later ones (and sometimes also on your deck of cards).

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

E This one might be the game your are looking for. It's a hybrid game, having the core of a Eurogame with a thick thematic layer of Ameritrash. Fair warning: the game's tough, quite swingy and is relatively complex.

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game

E Thinking about it, I think Dead of Winter qualifies as an "adventure game". If you are looking for a semi-cooperative game that actually works as such and that also features a hidden traitor, this might be your game. Don't be scared by the zombie theme though: the game tackles it right, putting the focus on the survivors and their internal struggles and not on the undead. The way the game introduces its element of storytelling is excellent, sometimes being horrifying, sometimes being funny.

Good luck with your research and have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
I honestly never understood why people would call Mage Knight an "adventure game". To me, it actually feels more like a racing game than an adventure game, considering the pressure to explore and level up as quickly as possible while using a deck of cards in the most efficient way possible.

Well, I only play the game cooperatively, and while what you say is certainly true, it also does have the elements of adventuring (exploration, fighting monsters, gaining treasures, and so on).

Mostly, though, I was thinking about what the OP said here:

Quote:
I'd like something with more puzzle than A&B, but everything else seems to go into dice chucking RPGs or story games with no real gameplay

That just screamed "Mage Knight" to me.

It is very puzzle-like. It sure has real gameplay. And not a whole lot of dice-chucking involved, esp. not as an action resolution mechanic.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
Scattle - Knock Knock.mp3
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
[...]

Mostly, though, I was thinking about what the OP said here:

Quote:
I'd like something with more puzzle than A&B, but everything else seems to go into dice chucking RPGs or story games with no real gameplay

That just screamed "Mage Knight" to me.

It is very puzzle-like. It sure has real gameplay. And not a whole lot of dice-chucking involved, esp. not as an action resolution mechanic.

Bye
Thanee

That is certainly true and I also mentioned this in my own post. If someone is looking for a complex puzzle game, this is definitely the game to get. If the same person is at the same time looking for a game that also gives the feeling of going on an adventure, well...

Or maybe it's just my own definition and perception of having "adventures" in board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd look at Salvation Road. It is post-apocalyptic theme, so not a traditional fantasy/adventure theme but it is a great puzzle game with many meaningful choices but not so overwhelming that it takes a half hour to set up.

You get the adventure/PRG feel from the characters you play. (Each person must play at least two characters.) Can be played solo or coop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AnalyzerOfGames wrote:
Are there any games other than Above and Below...

How about its successor Near and Far?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
It looks like this just came out, but not in time for me to get in time for the event I'm buying for.

The Oracle of Delphi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.