Popular Tags: [View All]
Al Leigh
United Kingdom
Lewes
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been looking forward to getting this to the table but most of my gaming opportunities are two player at the moment. What do people think about different ways to play Conan senarios designed for 3 or 4 players with only two. So far I've been thinking about...

1 - one player using all the hero characters, though this may well be a little overwhelming to organise.

2 - have the hero side pick a single character who then has all the gems allowed to all the characters in the scenario, along with an increased refresh rate. This method would be very similar to the 'legendary' upgrade in Imperial Assault used when there are less characters playing against the overlord

3 - proportionally weaken the overlord and the hero sides so that the hero has only one or two characters of normal strength and an easier opponent. This method relies on some kind of technique to assign values to the different troops on the overlord side.

4 - find some 2 player senarios!!

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thrud wrote:
So I've been looking forward to getting this to the table but most of my gaming opportunities are two player at the moment. What do people think about different ways to play Conan senarios designed for 3 or 4 players with only two. So far I've been thinking about...

1 - one player using all the hero characters, though this may well be a little overwhelming to organise.

probably the best solution. You can work your way up to more heroes over time and the stamina mechanic let's you track quite well what you already did with a char.

Thrud wrote:

2 - have the hero side pick a single character who then has all the gems allowed to all the characters in the scenario, along with an increased refresh rate. This method would be very similar to the 'legendary' upgrade in Imperial Assault used when there are less characters playing against the overlord
3 - proportionally weaken the overlord and the hero sides so that the hero has only one or two characters of normal strength and an easier opponent. This method relies on some kind of technique to assign values to the different troops on the overlord side.

these two are I think the most complicated. For one proportionally downgrading the OL or upgrading a hero is probably not that easy. Secondly, most scenarios have other objectives than just wiping the enemy out - therefore, you also have to check your changes against the victory conditions not just the pure manpower of the enemy.
Thrud wrote:

4 - find some 2 player senarios!!

always an option, but might take some time

So I would try the first option, first with 2 heroes or so and see how much work it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a two player game today with one player as the overlord and another as 3 heroes. I was on the hero side and I found it easy enough to manage and would say the overwhelming part is the freedom you have since you are controlling 3 players and there's not really a turn order in Conan haha. Still I did okay, what I would say is stick to the one or two complexity level scenarios until you are confident in using multiple heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cheese 383
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thrud wrote:

In this solution you loose all the capability of the heroes.
For exemple, in the first scénario, if you keep Conan you don't have Shevatas's skill "Evasive". So it's harder to win with the heroes.

The best solution is the first !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Hatt
France
Brest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cheese383 wrote:
Thrud wrote:

In this solution you looss all the capability of the heroes.
For exemple, in the first scénario, if you keep Conan you don't have Shevatas skill "Evasive". So it's harder to win with the heroes.

The best solution is the first !

I would go for the first solution too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hobbs
United Kingdom
Aberdare
Rhondda Cynon Taff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fusionmonkey87 wrote:
Played a two player game today with one player as the overlord and another as 3 heroes. I was on the hero side and I found it easy enough to manage and would say the overwhelming part is the freedom you have since you are controlling 3 players and there's not really a turn order in Conan haha. Still I did okay, what I would say is stick to the one or two complexity level scenarios until you are confident in using multiple heroes.

we just played the Pict village scenario with 3 players, I played the Overlord and the 2 others had 1 character each and shared Conan. that worked really well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Leigh
United Kingdom
Lewes
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear... Thanks for the posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thrud wrote:

This is an unfortunate case of people misusing the term "player" when they mean "character." Interpret "3 players" as "3 characters", and "4 players" as "4 characters" and your path will be clear. i.e. multiple characters (the heroes, in this case) played by one player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.