Subject: Do you bother to bring games with you to a con? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me.... smaller ones, if I have games of mine I'd really like to get played, or the logistics is convenient (e.g. close by parking, and I don't need to walk 200 meters just to get to the game area).

Nowadays, but larger ones in general... No. There's generally enough selection that I can usually get into a game that I like, or like to try out. The most I've done here was leave the box at home and put a game in a large, freezer zip bag (board, card decks, other bits), and walk around with that in my backpack. Bring up to 1 or 2 more games, if they don't take up too much volume.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have the game that I'm interested in playing, I'll bring it along, even if it's for an event that someone else is running. By bringing a 2nd copy, additional tables with more players can be accommodated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll usually take a few of my favorites like Russian/German Railroads and Lords of Waterdeep/Scoundrels of Skullport, as well as some that aren't as common, like Scoville.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I do bring games to GenCon, because I crash in a (large) hotel room with 8-10 other gamers, and we'll play stuff there at night after we're done with the convention hall for the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually only take about 30-40 games with me to a con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take 5-10.
I like to play new stuff i have not seen but then i like to get old titles i own that i realy enjoy to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take hard to get games, games I've committed to teaching, and games I am in love with to share with others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:

Amateur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The literal answer is Yes, while yet knowing from experience it to be mostly unfruitful in the face of other opportunities discovered upon arrival. It is a matter of "backup plan".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bordgamer wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

Amateur.

Yes, I hang my head in shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rae
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take games, usually a mixture of types including games I want to play but usually don't get the chance. Carriage is an issue so number depends on how I am traveling to an event. If driving it is usually a case of filling the car boot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Derwood
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers, Winter Game Fest, etc.
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only do I bring any popular games the con library lacks, I actually bring additional shelving and ADD my games (temporarily) to the con's library (assuming the con is within driving distance). You do get a bit more wear and tear, but I haven't had any losses to date (I do put peelable labels on every box and shelf). Greater good, baby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
No I don't because there are a lot of opportunities to play different games at a Con without me bringing my own. I just have to remember to bring a lot of cash for potential games and/or terrain that I might buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Massey
Wales
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely that's like taking beer to the pub?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schema Man
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CPAG wrote:

Depends on your normal gaming group - there are some games I wouldn't expect to pull out with my normal group that I can always find people at a Con to get it on the table with.

PS: thumbs up for Eric bringing shelves and games to Cons - I've benefited a few times and saw him at a con over the weekend. Thanks Eric!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kreutzet
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bring games you've designed to playtest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Montalvo
United States
McAllen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to take a few games because there will be times that the library will not have a copy you are looking for or you can not find an open seat. When that happens I take out one of my games, set it out and play the "Need Players" flag up and wait for a victim.... I mean player and start playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but generally because I'm running them.

Maybe one favorite gets packed otherwise (in case I want to play off hours).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmontalvoj wrote:
I prefer to take a few games because there will be times that the library will not have a copy you are looking for or you can not find an open seat. When that happens I take out one of my games, set it out and play the "Need Players" flag up and wait for a victim.... I mean player and start playing.
Unless I know ahead of time the game selection from the library and what people bring in may be on the more lackluster side, I'll bring in games with expansions. With many cons and collections, you often cannot count on players having the expansions you desire (especially if they're new and or on the pricy side).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcy Morelli
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are planning to play in a tournament the situation is different. You will definitely want to bring a copy of the games for the tournaments you are playing in. The convention and the GM have only got a couple of copies, and that will only handle 2-3 tables worth of players.

We have had situations (especially when you have a lot of newer players) where we haven't had enough copies for everyone who wants to play. Trust me, this is not a good experience for anyone!

So please, do bring games for tournaments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I tend to bring games to Cons that I want to play or am willing to teach others to play. The game libraries at most Cons tend to be out of date, plus there's no guarantee that a popular game won't be checked out. So, yes, bringing games to Cons is a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Engelmann wrote:
Not only do I bring any popular games the con library lacks, I actually bring additional shelving and ADD my games (temporarily) to the con's library (assuming the con is within driving distance). You do get a bit more wear and tear, but I haven't had any losses to date (I do put peelable labels on every box and shelf). Greater good, baby!

You, sir, are awesome. I am just sorry I cannot come play at conventions with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
schemaman wrote:
CPAG wrote:

Depends on your normal gaming group - there are some games I wouldn't expect to pull out with my normal group that I can always find people at a Con to get it on the table with.

Bingo. The games I bring to cons are games that are special; I have trouble finding groups at home to play, rare games (even by con standards), or games that I have a special edition of that other players might want to try. For example, I bring my English text set of Glory to Rome with European edition artwork, a custom set of Container, or my big board copy of Indonesia, etc. That means I end up toting around 4, maybe 5 games with me to a con and that's it. Usually I split the difference and offer to teach about half of them and the rest come out if someone requests a game or something. To me, conventions are the opportunities to try unique stuff like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
John Weber wrote:

I tend to bring games to Cons that I want to play or am willing to teach others to play. The game libraries at most Cons tend to be out of date, plus there's no guarantee that a popular game won't be checked out. So, yes, bringing games to Cons is a good idea.

Exactly this. I bring games that I've arranged ahead of time to teach, games that I am dying to get to the table (Star Wars: Rebellion can be hard outside of a con), and then smaller games that are easy to transport and play (Codenames, Secret Hitler, Happy Salmon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Conder
United States
O'Fallon
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This year I brought and played the long format games that are usually too difficult to either find the time to play or find players willing to play. Conventions are great for trying old and unusual in addition to the new and shiny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.