United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I correct in thinking that in a 4-player game, each player will end up with exactly 2 mission cards? Of course, whether he completes them successfully is a different matter. I'm just talking about how many you'll end up with in front of you.

The rules state that every time you play your "King Me" card, you draw two missions and keep one, returning the other to the bottom of the mission pile. Since every player must play their King Me card by the end of the 4th round, everyone will have exactly 1 mission by that time. There will be 4 left in the draw pile. Then by the end of the 8th turn, everyone will have drawn a second mission, giving everyone exactly 2 mission cards, every game, without exception.

Sound correct?

What about the 3-player game? Does the mercenary get a mission when flipping up his King Me card? If not, then two of the three human players will end up with 3 mission cards while the last human player only ends up with 2 mission cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played with less than four yet, so I haven't considered that aspect, but yes, every player in a four player game will get exactly two mission cards. Unless the game finishes earlier than eight rounds in, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. I'm glad I got that down right.
Thanks, Andy!

If we play with 3, we may just deal the mercenary a facedown card during each of his "King Me" turns, and consider those cards effectively removed from play.

If nothing else, it might bring a little variety to the game, because you'll never know which missions were missing until the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
Unless the game finishes earlier than eight rounds in, of course.

On a side note, since I have your ear, do you have a feel for roughly how many times a group can expect to go through their decks during a game? This will change by game and group dynamics, I'm sure. I'm just looking for a rough idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I'm not sure I'd be a good example, because I've only played with my family up to now, which includes my wife, who isn't really a gamer, and my two kids, who are 10 and 12. But each time we've played, it's probably been 7-8 rounds, which is about twice through the decks. I suspect if some of the territories are more hotly contested, you could expect to go through three or four times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as another data point here, our first play (which was great fun) lasted 7 rounds. We all grabbed our second mission fairly early after the 4th round, since it looked like we weren't going to have very much time to achieve it otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.