GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,488 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Tragedy Looper» Forums » General

Subject: Cosmic Evil's new Police Officer/Informer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jessie Ulii
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up the Cosmic Evil expansion and saw that it comes with a new version of the Police Officer and the Informer. The Mastermind rulebook notes that if you have a more recent version of the base game that you can disregard the extra cards. Should I be playing with these 2 new cards when I play Base Game/Midnight Circle Expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to know this as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Yes, use the new versions. The comment about disregarding the extra cards if you have a more recent version of the base game is that recent printings of the base game already have the updated Police Officer and Informer instead of the original.

The changes weren't made to suit Cosmic Evil's new mechanics, but to improve how they play in all scenarios. The Police Officer was changed so that his goodwill ability would actually be used in the goodwill ability phase, to clear up ambiguities related to it. The Informer was changed to remove the "coin flip" aspect of her character, where if you already knew one subplot you would previously have a 50/50 chance of learning the other subplot or learning nothing at all, which is far too much weight to place on a random guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you explain in detail the new text? So that I can check which version I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Faso74it wrote:
Could you explain in detail the new text? So that I can check which version I have.

Police Officer: [Adult] [Man]
Paranoia limit 3, starts in City
(4) Reveal the culprit behind any incident that has occurred this loop. (once per loop)
(5) Place an Extra marker on any character in this location. Should that character die during this loop, instead remove that marker. (once per loop)

Informer: [Adult] [Woman]
Paranoia limit 3, starts in City
(5) The leader names the title of any subplot. The mastermind must name the title of one subplot in use, that is not the subplot named by the leader.

The original Police Officer's second ability didn't use Extra markers. Instead it was used outside of the Goodwill Abilities phase as a "reaction" to prevent a death in that location was that death occurred. It was rewritten so that it would follow normal goodwill ability rules.

The original Informer just said that the Mastermind reveals first or second subplot, leader's choice which. This meant that if the protagonists already knew one subplot from some other source (e.g. they found a Serial Killer in a Basic Tragedy script so they're obviously in The Hidden Freak), the Informer would have a 50% chance of telling them no new information and a 50% chance of telling them the other subplot. The new Informer removes this luck component.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the extra marker prevent the characters death regardless of where the character or the police officer is? Or does the PO still need to be in the same location (and alive?) as the protected character?

I guess the character survives in any case once the PO has agreed to help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bonner
msg tools
According to BakaFire's FAQ, you treat it like the Police Officer arranged for some bodyguards. Once you use the ability, it's effective even if the Police Officer goes somewhere else or dies.

(Incidentally, the Soldier's ability that protects the protagonists also keeps working if the Soldier dies.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the confirmation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.