Twilight Struggle» Forums » Strategy

Subject: An expansive hand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
This T1 hand is not from a real game but just for fun... how would you play it?

Decolonization
Destalinization
ME scoring
Vietnam Revolts
Marshall Plan
CIA
NORAD
Nasser

Edit: As the USSR at US +2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Headline ME

Space Decol or Destal - might be Destal if you get Red Scared

Rest for Ops - counter-coups in ME, placing in Asia and Europe. Could play MP as an event but likely will need it for Ops.

Potential to play Vietnam and coup it same turn, or if Defcon drops too fast play it last in round.

Keep Destal in case of Blockade, otherwise you will hold it and dump turn 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
As the USSR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Harding wrote:
This T1 hand is not from a real game but just for fun... how would you play it?

Decolonization
Destalinization
ME scoring
Vietnam Revolts
Marshall Plan
CIA
NORAD
Nasser

Edit: As the USSR at US +2

Talk about a tricky situation. Some good stuff and some bad stuff there, both a little earlier than you'd want to see it (other than Vietnam).

Maybe headline Vietnam, Marshall to coup Iran (try to keep Europe a draw... you're not dominating it with this hand anyway), and if USA does not go into Malaysia or coup Vietnam at DEFCON 4, use a coup to drop DEFCON to 3 (probably Egypt, if USA went there). Take Thailand with CIA. Decol and De-Stal for event (though I'd mostly De-Stal to 3-stability countries this early; Decol to Africa, and maybe snag Indonesia to be a pest). Might have to eat NORAD and put Thailand to 0/4*. Hopefully you can keep ME at mutual Presence to dump ME Scoring rather than lose to Domination. Not sure what the hold card would be, though I'd probably lean towards holding De-Stal. Stylistically, I never like playing China unless I am desperate, but I wonder if this hand actually calls for it on T1. Also if Iran coup fails and USA infiltrates western Asia, plans would have to be changed around a bit.

But I'm no expert, so I'm sure they have better ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ray donovan
msg tools
Interessing, even the headline+turn1 in not clear for me.

headline nasser + turn1 ME scoring?
headline nasser + turn1 norad 2 Lybia+1Syria? (forcing him to coup in ME and you score it turn2 for (+3/0/-1)
headline vietnam +turn1 cia 2 ops in thailand?
headline deco 1Alg/1Th/1burma/1malaysia or SAf, turn1 vietnam 1Thailand/1France using vietnam
headline cia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heretical idea: headline CIA, hope for Defectors HL by the US and play for the long game. Let the US work hard to keep ME dominance in turn 1. It's not that many points as long as USSR can keep presence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojciech Pietrzak
msg tools
Headline Nasser.
AR1 ME Scoring.
AR2 Marshall, event first. If Italy at 4/0, coup Iran, otherwise coup Italy
AR3 CIA, coup Panama
AR4 VR
AR5 NORAD to Thailand and Laos/Cambodia (or, if CIA went to Malaysia and USA already has Thailand, China Card to Thailand)
AR6 Decol

Destal is a held card, let him have a headache about Comecon and Warsaw Pact.

AS USA after CIA I would probably play 5YP for the event if I had it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wei
China
flag msg tools
HL Nasser
AR1 China go Iran
AR2 ME Scoring if not give US+4 or more vps
AR3 CIA event first go Panama
AR4 Decol if DEFCON=2, Algeria+Angola+Indonesia+Thai
VR go Panama/Iran/S.Africa(priority sequence it is) if DEFCON=3
AR5 Marshall go 4 France if empty,
otherwise VR go Thailand/Laos/Lebanon(priority sequence it is)
or decol.
AR6 Marshall go 4 France if empty, otherwise space NORAD.

Card Held: De-stalination, Marshall/VR/NORAD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
sankt has nailed it. I'm turning into such a sankt fanboy. I wanted to do almost exactly the turn he describes, but failed to see the necessity of using the China Card for the AR1 coup. I was thinking of needlessly abandoning Europe with a Marshall Plan AR1 coup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wei
China
flag msg tools
Benkyo wrote:
sankt has nailed it. I'm turning into such a sankt fanboy. I wanted to do almost exactly the turn he describes, but failed to see the necessity of using the China Card for the AR1 coup. I was thinking of needlessly abandoning Europe with a Marshall Plan AR1 coup.

1. The major reason that USSR do not use China in T1 is to avoid US held key cards in T2, but you already have both de-cards, right?

2. Personally, I will NEVER give a Marshall without having 3 Euro-BGs OR Warsaw already evented, after that move, your only chance in Europe is de Gaulle combo (means lose 4 mil vps) and Brush Italy.

3. Decol in Algeria & Thailand can force a dilemma, probably give you at least one of France and Thailand, which means you can REALLY IGNORE these 2 regions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the responses

My general ideas were similar:

Headline Nasser
Only play Marshall if France is open after Decol.
Play CIA after scoring is dealt with.
Very probably play China.

Against 4/3/3 I might coup Italy, but more likely spread to Libya with Vietnam.
Against 4/4/2 Iran coup looks possible.
Against 4 Italy 3 Iran take Libya or score ME AR1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.