BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » Denmark

Subject: Board Game ideas for someone learning Danish? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danica S.
Australia
flag msg tools
Hello!

I'm an Aussie with a Danish dad and I have always wanted to learn Danish. He never taught me or my siblings but in the last 6 or 7 years my eldest brother has been learning and getting really good! I'd like to buy him a Danish board game for Christmas that he can play with my dad (and maybe even me).

I have looked around online and I simply have no idea where or even what to look for. I couldn't even find a Danish version of monopoly, something I presumed would be relatively easy to find?? I guess not.

Anyhow I figure it can't hurt to ask here and see if anyone has any good suggestions. I have rellies in Denmark so I'll ask them as well but I would like the opinions people who love to play as well.

So in short, what would you guys think is a good game someone who is learning the language and where do I even go about purchasing one? Thanks heaps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly is called Matador.

You can buy it hear: http://www.gamesweb.dk/braetspil/4309/matador
It's a good trusted game shop.

A brand new Danish game which is easy to learn but damn hard to master is Flamme Rouge and I can't recommend it highly enough!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found a book store who sell both games:
http://www.arnoldbusck.dk/spil/braetspil/matador-spil

http://www.arnoldbusck.dk/spil/braetspil/flamme-rouge-spil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Slotracer wrote:
Monopoly is called Matador.

You can buy it hear: http://www.gamesweb.dk/braetspil/4309/matador
It's a good trusted game shop.

A brand new Danish game which is easy to learn but damn hard to master is Flamme Rouge and I can't recommend it highly enough!!!!

But the question was for learning Danish. There is no Danish is Flamme Rouge. I was originally thinking about the Danish version of Codenames but that is probably too hard for a learner. Most of the games you get translated into Danish are language independent family or other simple games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janus Basnov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I guess the best is to go for a Danish version of Trivial Pursuit or a similar quiz type game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AD .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a Danish Sherlock Holmes Consulting detective?

I've heard it being used to help people learn English, perhaps it can be used to learn other languages like Danish?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Engelbrecht-Gollander
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zardon wrote:
Is there a Danish Sherlock Holmes Consulting detective?

I've heard it being used to help people learn English, perhaps it can be used to learn other languages like Danish?

Nope there isn't sadly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Culkasi wrote:
I guess the best is to go for a Danish version of Trivial Pursuit or a similar quiz type game?
This might be quite tough - depending on the level of Danish known already.

There are several children's games based on learning Danish - but this also might be too low-tech for most people wanting to play of cause.

I've seen a wonderful German game which was about learning languages (English, Spanish, French, Italian, and more versions were made) - but yeah; this require German - and there was no Danish made.

A way to start - if you are at 0 or so is to find a picture lottery with names on; some of the old versions usually did (but they can be hard to come by). But again the level of the game is still quite low and therefore wont be much good for playing.

Most learning games are pretty low complexity as they are designed for small children, where there is (as far as I know), not so many higher complexity games with learning as key (with might be a good idea to make as Denmark have a fair share of expats, immigrants, and more that could learn easier through fun and social activities). A game like Matador have a few technical words, but apart from this it is pretty low-level language but also not really useful as learning tool: The difference between Matador and Monopoly also makes it not good as "Compare English to Danish", as there are some diffirences in the game despite many think otherwise; Monopoly IS possible to get in Denmark, but Matador have always been the favourite among Danes so Monopoly have never really gained a marked, and I think you mainly find them in the "upgraded" versions with credit cards or new pimped rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can sent you some rules in Danish, if you want to read them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bezzerwizzer or any of the games in that lineup. If he got "pretty good", I'm pretty sure he can play it. I'm originally Dutch and can easily play it (lived here for 7 years).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the danish version of King of Tokyo could be a good way of learning some simple danish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalco wrote:
I think that the danish version of King of Tokyo could be a good way of learning some simple danish.

I was about to mention this; one of the most language-heavy "gamers games" translated into Danish. (Fair note: I work for the publisher of this version).

Otherwise, If you're in the market for quiz-games, there's the obligatory Trivial Pursuit (Master, Family, Party & 2000's have all been translated), as well as Bezzerwizzer. (Once again, I make money off distributing these titles).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danica S.
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I have a few ideas now. I should probably clarify, my brother's level of Danish is (in my opinion) quite high. He watches movies in Danish, listens to music and as he drives for a living I believe he also listens to Danish audio books in the car. These are all ways to keep learning and improving. So my line of thinking was that a board game might be a better way to actually actively use the language rather than just watch/listen.

For this reason, I'm thinking maybe a trivia game would probably be a good idea. Or something that requires plenty of Danish reading throughout the game. So, is Bezzerwizzer actually fun?

I would obviously like to play too but I simply dont know enough Danish. Id either need a game super simple or super familiar, which is why I was originally thinking Monopoly. Are there actually many differences between Matador and Monopoly? I may get Matador anyway...

And just lastly, I think regardless of how much Danish the game contained, my brother would probably still appreciate it all the same. (provided its enjoyable!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You play in a square with Monopoly, but Matador is a circle.
Not sure about Monopoly, but in Matador you buy the ground when you land on it. When you own all three ground in the color (the most expensive only have two grounds) you can buy houses. When you have four house in each ground, you can buy a hotel.
And when the opponents land on your ground, they have to pay you rent depending on how many house you have on the ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I don't really play quiz games any more, but Bezzerwizzer is a good one in that genre. Though I do prefere the onces which have a board to move on (not strictly needed, since you can just keep track of the score on paper, as is done in some versions of it, but a board is nice).

Matador is really not a great game. It was fun as a child, but once we had other games, we never went back to it. There are cards you need to read in Danish, so in that way it is fine for your purpose, but there are hardly any decissions for the players to make. Pretty much all is determined by rolling the dice to move your marker forward on the fixed track. Where you land determines what you need or can do (but it is nearly always good to buy what you land on, if it is not owned already, so not a big decission).

What types of games do you brother actually like?

There is a lot of Danish in Hero Quest (of course if you get a Danish version) - one of the early dungeon crawler games. Though a bit expensive to get now with about 500 kr. for a used but complete copy.

Danish: On lots of different cards
Time: Maybe 1-1½ hour for each quest? Though you usually play a campaign lasting several quests (so you split it over some days).

If we are going old games, then Fuldrigger was fun for much longer than Matador, even if there is also quite a bit of luck in that game. Much cheaper to get than Hero Quest - I think around 100 kr., is what I have seen it put up for sale at. Today I would much rather play Merchants & Marauders, but there is no Danish version of that.

Danish: One card must be read each turn. Goods in the different ports.
Time: Up to the players, but as I recall it makes most sence with 1½-2 hours? Could be longer or shorter. Depends on the number of players too.

Of the games already mentioned, I'll second King of Tokyo. Even if there are some errors in the Danish translations (or so I have been told). If some of you playing are not that good in Danish, just have a website open with the cards in English next to you - should be possible to find.

Danish: Three cards for sale. A new must be drawn and read everytime a card is bought
Time: 30 min or so

If you want to buy them used, there are groups for it on fb:

Brætspil - Køb/Salg/Bytte: https://www.facebook.com/groups/181908475251516/

Nørdbrætspil -Køb/Salg/Bytte: https://www.facebook.com/groups/braetspilsmarkedsplads/

The first one is for all boardgame related, while the second is only for "geeky" boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like European football aka Soccer, perhaps Behind Football is a game for you. A bit like Matador/Monopoly with a twist of football/soccer.
And it's a Danish game.

Buy it here: http://www.nordiskspil.dk/produkt/behind-football/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Thyssen
Denmark
Gedved
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zalco wrote:

It really would. Except the danish version is full of bad translations and even untranslated card-text. I was really disappointed in the quality of the danish edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would keep in mind that Monopoly is one of the worst rated (yet mainstream popular) games on this site with a score of just 4.4 out of 10. So it's not exactly recommended overall by people who's more engaged in the hobby of playing board games.

Here's some games I think you should look into. I think it might be very difficult to find a shop that will ship them to Australia. If you get stuck I can assist by getting them shipped to me in Denmark first and then ship them to you. It will be very costly with the postage for a 2 kg tracked and insured package at around 100 AUD (75 USD) but somewhat cheap without tracking and insureance at 20 AUD (15 USD). On top you might have to pay import fees - I don't know the rules in Australia?

The shop http://hyggeonkel.dk has all of these in stock, but they don't ship outside EU. I've included the prices for reference.

Anomia 24 AUD (Danish Version is "Ordet fanger")
You basicly flip over cards simultaneously and if two or more cards match, you have to be the first to name a thing from that category. So for example, if the cards show the category "Fruits", you have to be the first to name any friut like "Apple" or "Orange" (in this case it's "Æble" or "Appelsin" in Danish)

Alias 35 AUD (original) / 39 AUD (family ed.) / 14 AUD (family, travel ed.)
This is played in teams and comes in an easier family friendly version - and even a family friendly travel edition (to keep shipping costs to a minimum).
You play in teams and must explain words/sentences without saying the words/sentences but anything else that will make your team mates guess the words before a timer runs out.

Det dårlige selskab 53 AUD (Danish version of Cards Against Humanity)
I'd say this is for advanced learners, but included it as it contains alot of foul language that you will probably not hear otherwise - if your brother finds that kind of thing interesting and funny. Check out Cards Against Humanity to get an idea about what this is.

Codenames 33 AUD
Also in the more advanced area, but it just won the Spiel Des Jahres - basically "The Oscar" of board gaming. It contains many words with multiple meanings and that is part of the gameplay, but it can be played by starting off with an explanation of all the cards. It will take a little of the depth out of the game, but in your case that sounds like an advantage.

Hope this is usefull
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Bostrup
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
For a strategy game, I suggest the Danish version of El Grande if you can find a used copy somewhere.

(As I remember it, there are errors in the translation of the rules, but the text on the cards is fine.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paphoved wrote:
Zalco wrote:

It really would. Except the danish version is full of bad translations and even untranslated card-text. I was really disappointed in the quality of the danish edition.

Ah, but there's a second edition now. I hear that is much better (however I have not actually checked it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.