Subject: Component Upgrade - tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
So, I've seen a lot of people with painted miniatures (and I've painted mine as well), but I've yet to see anything else with significant changes.

I purchased a bunch of mini poker chips, and decided to start replacing some parts of games I really enjoy. I also purchased a 0.6 inch circle punch, and a pack of printer label sheets.

I took a picture of the credit and success tokens, did a little editing in paint, and printed them out on the label sheets. I cut them out with the circle punch, then removed the backing and stuck them onto the mini poker chips. This will make dealing with the money much easier, and they feel a lot better than the cardboard.

I'm still thinking about what to do with the other tokens, once the expansion comes out I'll decide whether to replace those as well with something different. The continent markers are too big to stick on the mini poker chips, and other than that there are very few, so we'll see if that ever happens, but right now I'm really happy with these upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boucher
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh shiny. I might steal your idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Truly wonderful indeed... these are things that increase the feeling and quality of the game but if they had to give these chips and print all of that stuff the game would cost a lot lot more.

I think ... sales-wise, they should have thought about doing 2 separate editions and, also, sell separately pre-painted soldiers and UFOs.

I would love to paint mine a-la X-Com1 (yellow armor... basic, not carapace or titan style.

However... if the sales for the expansion go well as I expect and if the computer game franchise keeps going on, I'm sure we'll see more expansions coming.

There are very important undeveloped ideas in the psychic compartment... and that's BEFORE even considering X-Com2 into the boardgame (avatar, drones, etc.).

This game has been so beautifully converted everything's really possible...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, I'd really love to see another expansion after this upcoming one. The game is great, and hopefully it sticks around for a while. I haven't played Xcom2, but the more variety to add to this, the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's still content that may be added... a mini-game for the squad leader (tactical, with miniatures), an extra section with a tech tree that REQUIRES the interrogation of aliens to get to the road to the final mission, a narrow path of required techs to take that bear no fruits but advance you to psychics, etc. etc.

And it's so easy... so terribly easy... We can't propose anything to the DEVs right now because they're all focused on this launch but I hope they'll participate to the forums next year and take the ideas for the future of this marvellous board game.

(every new player I show it to becomes an immediate enthusiast)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GShock112 wrote:
There are very important undeveloped ideas in the psychic compartment...

The main issue with psionics and TBG is that TBG has a very flat progression - the only distinction between early game and late game is whether the final missions has unlocked yet (okay, and some minor differences in what the app throws at you each round). Meanwhile, psionics are very much a mid-to-late-game thing in XCOM video games. Any attempt to incorporate psionics into the game would pretty much need additional structure in the game to keep psionics from being available from the start, and to provide some additional challenge once psionics is unlocked.

Early-game psionics would need to be balanced against officer training and have to account for the fact that only the Squad Leader really benefits from them - there's already a tendency for the Squad Leader to get more of the action than other players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are ways to funnel the technology and even the manufacturing of the stuff required to get on a "path" that ends with psionics.

For example, it's possible to build the assets cards instead of giving them for free and all it takes is an update and rebalancing of the app (and its difficulty levels).

Also, the psychic could be made a new soldier class and cost 3 credits but only to be purchased if the psionic tech is researched (and you make it worth 5 successes to succeed in the research).

It's just an example, the possibilities are truly infinite but it all depends on what they want to do. I think one such expansion with the mere psionics would be the same as Evolution. At this point, I would revamp the game by adding the tactical engagements but this yea is really needing a whole new board. On this board you could give a soldier to each player and let the app manage the composition of the battlefield... again... there's a lot of "unexplored" for this boardgame to develop.

Lang is a genius... I'm sure they're looking at how Evo sells before setting out on a second expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.