Subject: One of the coolest finishes I've ever played! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: This report contains minor spoilers for a base-game Headline and a base-game Science Building encounter.

The other weekend I sat down for a solo game of base-only Arkham, and it ended up being one of the most memorable endings I've ever been involved with.

Some of the pertinent details: I was playing a four-investigator game with Gloria Goldberg, Dexter Drake, Mandy Thompson and Joe Diamond. I had five seals down on the board, at the Woods, the Witch House, the Unvisited Isle, Independence Square, and the Historical Society if I remember correctly.

I was playing against Shub-Niggurath, and struggling against a lot of four-toughness monsters because of it. During the mid-game, there was a pretty memorable turn. Nearly every street was clogged with a monster, and the great majority were all of the four-toughness variety: a couple Gugs, a Flying Polyp, a Star Spawn, and perhaps even some others if I remember right. Then out of nowhere, the Feds decided to raid Arkham during the Mythos phase and cleared out the streets! It was an unbelievable thrill and relief that really opened up some much-needed elbow room to get around the board and take care of a few things!

I didn't have enough clues to make another seal, but there was only one gate open due to some lucky drawing: at the Black Cave. So, since I had some gate trophies to spare, I decided to send Mandy Thompson through the gate and try for a rare gate close victory!

As the cards would have it, and as Arkham so often seems to "know" just what to do to foil you, during that Mythos phase of course another gate popped open at the Graveyard. Sighing, I sent Gloria Goldberg over to the Science Building to use the location encounter and trade in a gate trophy for a couple of clues to hopefully make it through and get a sixth seal set down.

Problem was, as sometimes is the case with me, when I got in the middle of the Arkham encounter phase, I totally spaced on why I had gone there and drew an encounter by accident! This was a big problem because when I play solo I go with no takebacks. Slapping my metaphorical forehead, I read the encounter only to discover that a student was messing around with some sort of dimensional device, and if I could roll successes for any open gates, they would close!

So, I rolled once, and got a 5 for the gate at the Graveyard. Yes! Now, Mandy Thompson would be once again free to return and close up that last gate because there was no way I was going to hit a success on the next roll too. But you know what? I rolled, and a 6 stared back at me! The Science Building encounter I had mistakenly drawn ended up winning me the game! It was a thrilling finish and a great memory from a game that is a true classic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I love the way that this game can sometimes give you that great thrilling victory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what i love in Arkham Horror, the game can give us most memorable moments!
That headline with the feds cleaning the streets is really a gem!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a similar game end this way with a blessed investigator drawing that encounter and rolling successes on 3 gates to end the game. Since that time players have suggested going to the Science Building if we are in desperate straits in hopes of getting that encounter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic ending to a truly fantastic game. Thank you for sharing with us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfpack48 wrote:
We had a similar game end this way with a blessed investigator drawing that encounter and rolling successes on 3 gates to end the game. Since that time players have suggested going to the Science Building if we are in desperate straits in hopes of getting that encounter!

Yeah, I really love how with each play minor bits of strategy can evolve as you become more and more familiar with what can happen at each location. Like many games, it's one that truly rewards depth and exploration rather than simply skimming the surface and moving on. I've owned the game for many years and am still just scratching the surface in some ways, after what has to be close to 100 plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.