Popular Tags: [View All]
Francis Kan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello,

I bought this game, and just to realise that this is in German!
For those who are not into German, it is nearly impossible to play this game. Is there any translation or any link to the translation for this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Brown
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted my attempt at an English translation of the cards this morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Ray's translation, and the only thing it needs is turning into a sleeved/sheets-of-paper, RGG, or whoever-deck. It's not nearly as lame as it seems to be.

I was getting crap, almost all game, so I was passing my best card to Ray, rarely the Dragon or Phoenix. Ray called two GTs, so I exercised (I forget the name--clairvoyant?--but) name how many cards you have of X (Aces). Both times they happened to be all in one hand, and I got the reclaim a special card from the discard pile, so I got to play the, "How many aces have you?" twice. This was far more help to my partner's GTs than my hand was. I also played a cat (intercept the dog) and passed off to my partner another time.

So, the expansion provides another way to be useful to your partnership. You might argue that the dregs of the selection of booster cards should not have been so useful, and perhsps experience would change decisions.

However, judgement on when to use booster card does remain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis Papaioannou
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats @raybrn (Raymond Brown) for the translation.

I have some questions concerning the translation:

Instructions - Brown Booster : “Can only be played between two tricks or just before a trick”. If I understand correctly after a player wins a trick and before the same player begins a new trick combination, any of the 4 player can play a brown booster card. So, what is the difference in the description “between two tricks” OR “just before a trick” ?

Cards:

(blue booster) – COURAGE IS REWARDED: I would like please to clarify the following: I draw the ninth, tenth, eleventh and twelfth card. Do I randomly choose 2 of them (2 out of the 4 drawn cards) and have a look at them? Then, I keep 1 card, and the other card I pass it to the player in the right. The question is, I choose a face down card from my right neighbor, or my right neighbor gives me a face down card of his preference? (do my neighbor have a look to the card that he/she gives me ?)

(yellow booster) MOUSE: Clarification: Lets say that the dragon is on the table, and it is my turn to play. I play the Mah Jong card on top of the dragon, but I do not win the trick. The next player can play the number 2 on top of the mouse, and the higher number card wins the trick?

(green booster) SKAT: Clarification: Does this mean that the ACE now is the lowest number card? ACE<2<3<4 etc? Please give an example

(red booster) EXTEND: Clarification: “You are allowed to add up to four cards to a play (not your own)”. Example: An opponent is playing 3344, I use the EXTEND card, and I add 5566 to my oppents trick, hence now it is 33445566 on the table? I no other player can beat 33445566, my opponent who initially played 3344 wins the trick?

(red booster) CAT: I have the right to play, however who had initially the dog and who keeps it? I do not understand. Please clarify with a given example.

(green booster) FLOWERS: Could you please give an example?

(brown booster) SECURITY LEVEL RED: No more bombs can be played (crystal clear). However it says next that “Four-of-a kind bombs can be played as three-of-a-kinds (4 for 3), street bombs can be played as streets.” This is a little bit confusing. For example I can play 5555, but instead of count as an bomb, it will count as a three-of-a-kind 555? Same with street bombs? If I have 23456 (same color), it will not count as a bomb but as if I had played 23456 (different colours) ?

Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michi Hostettler
Switzerland
CERN
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tweetious wrote:

Instructions - Brown Booster [...] So, what is the difference in the description “between two tricks” OR “just before a trick” ?

The 'just before a trick' wording is just to clarify that brown boosters may also be played before after passing cards, just before the first trick (after any blue boosters have been handled).

tweetious wrote:

(blue booster) – COURAGE IS REWARDED: I would like please to clarify the following: I draw the ninth, tenth, eleventh and twelfth card. Do I randomly choose 2 of them (2 out of the 4 drawn cards) and have a look at them?

I think you misunderstood. COURAGE IS REWARDED lets you draw 2 cards (instead of 1) when you draw your 9th card, just after calling the Grand Tichu. Then, you choose one of the two cards and pass the other one on to your right neighbor, who takes it instead of drawing a card from the draw pile. Then your partner and opponent to the left both draw a card as usual.
When it's your turn again to draw your 10th card, you do the same (draw 2, choose and keep 1), and for the 11th and 12th card likewise.

tweetious wrote:
(yellow booster) MOUSE: Clarification: Lets say that the dragon is on the table, and it is my turn to play. I play the Mah Jong card on top of the dragon, but I do not win the trick. The next player can play the number 2 on top of the mouse, and the higher number card wins the trick?

Correct. The trick is effectively 'reset' to a singleton '1' when you play the Mah Jong with the mouse booster.

tweetious wrote:
(green booster) SKAT: Clarification: Does this mean that the ACE now is the lowest number card? ACE<2<3<4 etc? Please give an example

No, the correct order, from high to low, with SKAT in effect is
(Dragon), A, 10, K, Q, J, 9, 8, ..., 3, 2, (Mah Jong), (Dog)
Note that this rank order also applies to straights and all other combinations, so [Q, J, 9, 8, 7] IS a valid straight under SKAT, but [10, 9, 8, 7, 6] is not.

tweetious wrote:
(red booster) EXTEND: Clarification: “You are allowed to add up to four cards to a play (not your own)”. Example: An opponent is playing 3344, I use the EXTEND card, and I add 5566 to my oppents trick, hence now it is 33445566 on the table? I no other player can beat 33445566, my opponent who initially played 3344 wins the trick?

Correct.

tweetious wrote:
(red booster) CAT: I have the right to play, however who had initially the dog and who keeps it? I do not understand. Please clarify with a given example.

You get the right to play AND take the dog card into your hand.

tweetious wrote:
(green booster) FLOWERS: Could you please give an example?

Thats one of the more complex ones I have to admit. A 'flower' is a green card plus a pair or three-of-a-kind of the next higher rank, e.g.
[5 (green), 6, 6] or [Q (green), K, K, K]. These become valid combos when FLOWERS is in effect.
Additionally, when it's your turn, you can 'upgrade' a pair or three-of-a-kind to a 'flower' by adding the next lower green card. By doing so, you take ownership of the resulting flower (i.e. if it wins the trick, it's yours).

tweetious wrote:
(brown booster) SECURITY LEVEL RED: [...] For example I can play 5555, but instead of count as an bomb, it will count as a three-of-a-kind 555? Same with street bombs? If I have 23456 (same color), it will not count as a bomb but as if I had played 23456 (different colours) ?

Indeed. Of course, you're still free to choose to play 5555 as two pairs of 55 instead, or as singletons, instead (which may be a good idea in particular for high-rank four-of-a-kind bombs). But if you decide to play 5555, it counts as if you played 555.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.