Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Clothing manufacturing game idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Mason
msg tools
I'm just going to throw my game idea out here.

I've always wanted to have a clothing manufacturing themed game as I've been in the garments manufacturing industry for more than a decade. I've thought of getting Pret-a-porter, but felt it was too convoluted for my tastes. After seeing how Happy Pigs play, I thought why not make a clothing manufacturing game that is as simple?

The goal of the game would be to have the most money. Clothes would need to go through multiple "processes", i.e. machines, in order to be produced. Clothes would be divided into seasons, and each type of clothing will need to go through varying "hours" of multiple steps, with some steps having a prerequisite step. All types of clothes are available for production by all players.

In order to get the manufacturing engine going, players would need to buy machines, raw materials, hire workers, and produce the clothes. Players would get a chance to do that at the beginning, using their available money. On subsequent purchase of raw materials or hiring of workers, players would need expend worker cubes. Each worker has only 8 cubes (hours) that can be allocated to the machines. Clothes would need to go through the needed steps, restricted by the number of available worker hours. Machines will have a exactly the same number of cubes, but would vary in size as some machines are more efficient (a faster more expensive machine would cover more hours with a single cube than a slower one), and these cubes need to be paired with workers in order to complete a step. If all steps are finished, then the batch of garments is ready for sale.

Each season, there will also be specialty retail stores that will to buy limited quantities of a certain "in season" clothes for a premium price, but there is always a thrift shop that buys out of season clothes for a cheap price.

The game would go through 4 seasons, and each season also would alter the prices of materials, worker wages, and machines. Also, if a lot of players buy one type of material in a season, the price of that material will go up on the next season, but it will come back down if fewer players buy it.

I didn't really attempt to organize my ideas as I haven't given much thought to it. I'm sure a lot has to be ironed out, but hopefully I've managed to describe the gist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brassomason wrote:
I'm sure a lot has to be ironed out, but hopefully I've managed to describe the gist.

shake

Look at Power Grid: Factory Manager

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Twu
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
while "sweatshop: the game" is an unexplored theme, i think it'd be more interesting to move it up a level where the player is in charge of a clothing brand, rather than a contract manufacturer.

There'd still be the production part, but the player would also have to anticipate/influence fashion trends (i.e. our research shows that blue is trending, but we got a great deal on red fabric - let's sponsor some models and designers to make it the "it" color next spring), dealing with PR scandals and changing politics, exchange rates, and trade deals, and deciding what segment of the industry to go after (mass market? fast fashion? luxury?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
firstcultural wrote:
while "sweatshop: the game" is an unexplored theme, i think it'd be more interesting to move it up a level where the player is in charge of a clothing brand, rather than a contract manufacturer.

There'd still be the production part, but the player would also have to anticipate/influence fashion trends (i.e. our research shows that blue is trending, but we got a great deal on red fabric - let's sponsor some models and designers to make it the "it" color next spring), dealing with PR scandals and changing politics, exchange rates, and trade deals, and deciding what segment of the industry to go after (mass market? fast fashion? luxury?)

If you are going to go this route, well, my sister is a fashion designer, so there are some interesting things you could do:

Clothing is designed 9 months ahead of when it is out in stores. Fashion week in January determines the fall collection of that upcoming year.

Patterns on fabric is a huge sub-industry, especially with children's clothing. A lot of places will poach fabric designs from other design houses, making those who create their own designs a rare breed.

The first outfit is always made in-house, and only if it gets chosen during fashion week will it go out to the sweatshops to be manufactured. So most fashion design companies have a collection of seamstresses on hand.

I could go on and on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Kline
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
www.MysticTigerGames.com
badge
www.MysticTigerGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You game description somehow reminded me of Automobile. (Because cars and clothes are totally the same thing? ) Sort of a similar concept, buying factories and powering them up to produce cars, then trying to sell the cars.

One of the innovative things about the game, though, is that it's impossible to exactly predict the amount of demand for cars. Each player draws some number of 'demand' tiles, which are summed up during the sell phase to create the total demand, but during the turn you can only look at the tile you drew. So, you might know that demand for mid-size cars is going to ramp up next year, but you don't exactly know by how much. Will there be demand for 3 cars, or 10? If you under-produce, then your opponents will be able to take advantage of the extra demand to sell their card. Over-produce, and you waste money on cars you can't sell.

Give the game a look. Perhaps you might get some more inspiration there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bukata
United States
Amherst
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pi-Shu
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18565/what-shall-i-w...

ok so the link I am posting is loosely based on similarity (clothing).

I've just been dying to post this for at least a decade and your post gave me the opportunity - so sorry in advance

-dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.