Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone wants to trade me Myth. I'm pretty sure it's not the 2.0 version, but I know you can download the 2.0 rules online for free (right?). Are there any other differences between original and 2.0? And how can you tell which version it is? And is it worth to just buy the 2.0 version, or trade for the regular and upgrade?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
St. Paul
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
threepointthed wrote:
Someone wants to trade me Myth. I'm pretty sure it's not the 2.0 version, but I know you can download the 2.0 rules online for free (right?). Are there any other differences between original and 2.0? And how can you tell which version it is? And is it worth to just buy the 2.0 version, or trade for the regular and upgrade?

There are a few subtle differences between 1.0 and 2.0. You should be able to tell if it's 1.0 vs 2.0.

The 2.0 downloads are available on the megacongames website. I also think you can purchase a 2.0 upgrade.

The differences are subtle, but important.

As for is it worth a trade? Well, that depends on what you're giving up and how much it's worth it to you, and a whole host of other things. If you're thinking of buying Myth, and someone wants to trade you for a fair trade, then I'd make the trade. If you like the game and the free download, you can then decide to make purchases off the website for 2.0 materials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Cammeray
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
I bought a 1.0 retail box, downloaded the 2.0 rules and watched a couple of instructional videos and I didn't have any trouble understanding it.

The 2.0 cards make the game clearer (I'm told), and improve the Archer, who can go through dry periods where he/she can't do much.

It's still a complicated game, though. It's not something you can just break out and play. You have to want to immerse yourself in it. I'd recommend playing it several times solo to get an idea of its nuances before you even try to play it with friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schmidt
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quickest way to tell if it is 2.0 is to look at the quest cards. 2.0 quests are double sided. Also, traps have cards that were not available in 1.0. Traps were listed in the rule book for 1.0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been discussed in other threads but I agree that 1.0 and 2.0 are pretty similar. Keep the old rulebook because there are some useful things in there that aren't in the new rulebook.

Learning the game isn't any easier with 2.0, it's still quite a steep learning curve but worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Schellenberger
Canada
Carp
Ontario
flag msg tools
12from1 wrote:
I also think you can purchase a 2.0 upgrade.

Note, however, that the upgrade is stupidly expensive to ship outside of the United States. (The OP appears to be a fellow Canadian.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DryHumourist wrote:
12from1 wrote:
I also think you can purchase a 2.0 upgrade.

Note, however, that the upgrade is stupidly expensive to ship outside of the United States. (The OP appears to be a fellow Canadian.)

Note, this comment is stupidly outdated, the price pf shipping dzcreaszd a lot for most countries went down a lot with the store change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Cammeray
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what Canada's new shipping charges are like but shipping seems just as bad or worse to Australia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Schellenberger
Canada
Carp
Ontario
flag msg tools
I hadn't checked recently, but shipping to Canada is apparently a lot cheaper now than it used to be. It seems to be USD 12 now to my address (which merely doubles the USD 10 price) whereas it was IIRC USD 57 before -- which I hope we can all agree was insane for a USD 7 upgrade consisting of a softcover booklet and some playing cards....

In any case, I stand corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmb
DryHumourist wrote:
I hadn't checked recently, but shipping to Canada is apparently a lot cheaper now than it used to be. It seems to be USD 12 now to my address (which merely doubles the USD 10 price) whereas it was IIRC USD 57 before -- which I hope we can all agree was insane for a USD 7 upgrade consisting of a softcover booklet and some playing cards....

That's the difference between doing what amounts to shipping out of your garage vs a distribution company that has a volume agreement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Schellenberger
Canada
Carp
Ontario
flag msg tools
zogre wrote:
DryHumourist wrote:

That's the difference between doing what amounts to shipping out of your garage vs a distribution company that has a volume agreement.

I have to say I still find it hard to believe that a booklet and a few playing cards could have cost USD 57 to ship from any room in the house. cool

Checking the USPS web site, I find that a "First Class International Large Envelope" with appropriate dimensions is USD 5.83 from Megacon's zip to my post code. They could have sent five upgrade sets that way and even if, somehow, four were lost or damaged I would still have broken even.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can confirm that shipping to Australia still priced at "bizarro insane" rates, despite improvements to other countries.

E.g. https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23912122#23912122 ($45 to ship a single pack of sleeves)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmb
DryHumourist wrote:
zogre wrote:

I have to say I still find it hard to believe that a booklet and a few playing cards could have cost USD 57 to ship from any room in the house. cool

Checking the USPS web site, I find that a "First Class International Large Envelope" with appropriate dimensions is USD 5.83 from Megacon's zip to my post code. They could have sent five upgrade sets that way and even if, somehow, four were lost or damaged I would still have broken even.

/rant on
How much do you pay per month for rent and electricity for your warehouse? How much per hour does your shipping/packing/inventory guy make? How about your receptionist/customer relations goddess, how much per hour does she make? (whatever it is, it's not enough)

Oh, that's right. You don't have any of those.
/rant off

Apologies if I come off a little annoyed - the strawman combined with the fancy smilies got under my skin, but I assume that was the point.

I'm not saying that they were charging a reasonable amount for shipping, because the shipping was damned expensive, even domestically. You might consider that they might have had a reason for it, that they didn't do it just to prevent you from buying their product?

If you thought the shipping costs were too high, you were right not to pay it. Lots of people felt that way, so they made a change. Your shipping costs went down after they got rid of their warehouse, moved inventory to a third party, and laid off the shipping guy and the receptionist. The guys in AUS aren't so lucky, it seems.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Schellenberger
Canada
Carp
Ontario
flag msg tools
zogre wrote:
DryHumourist wrote:
zogre wrote:

/rant on
How much do you pay per month for rent and electricity for your warehouse? How much per hour does your shipping/packing/inventory guy make? How about your receptionist/customer relations goddess, how much per hour does she make? (whatever it is, it's not enough)

Oh, that's right. You don't have any of those.
/rant off

Apologies if I come off a little annoyed - the strawman combined with the fancy smilies got under my skin, but I assume that was the point.

I'm not saying that they were charging a reasonable amount for shipping, because the shipping was damned expensive, even domestically. You might consider that they might have had a reason for it, that they didn't do it just to prevent you from buying their product?

If you thought the shipping costs were too high, you were right not to pay it. Lots of people felt that way, so they made a change. Your shipping costs went down after they got rid of their warehouse, moved inventory to a third party, and laid off the shipping guy and the receptionist. The guys in AUS aren't so lucky, it seems.

Cheers.

I had no intention of getting under your skin, and I apologize if you believe I was intentionally needling you, personally. I was simply expressing my own dismay at what I felt to be the indefensible nature of an eightfold increase in total item cost as a result of shipping charges, when it was plainly obvious that there were cheaper alternatives.

For my part, I doubt very much that the rate had anything whatsoever to do with their overheads as you suggest. The amount is much more likely explained by shipping at a international priority parcel rate with fast delivery, tracking, and insurance. (The USPS, for example, offers just such a service at precisely that price.) That is probably eminently suitable for shipments of their usual products -- just not for a small, light, non-fragile collection of paper costing USD 7. There really ought to have been more flexibility in choosing a sensible shipping option rather than "one size fits all". Anecdotally, I gather some who contacted them directly apparently were able to negotiate something more reasonable; others apparently weren't. (This is, of course, hearsay -- based on posts here and on KS -- and should be weighed accordingly.)

As you correctly inferred, I opted not to pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United Kingdom
Crawley
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Guys.

Just to let you know i just purchased the version 2.0 upgrade pack from the website and shipping to the UK was just $12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.