Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on a companion app for HexCrawl. If anybody is interested in helping out or following along, the code is here:

https://github.com/rbhaddon/sobapp

It's a Unity3D project, with which I am a total newbie, but I'm learning. It's a lot of fun.

The project's current status is very-rough-not-even-alpha yet!

Binaries:
<Removed for now. There's little point in downloading them at this time.>

For more info on current/future features, check the readme on github.

P.S.
I understand that board game companion apps are not everyone's cup of tea. If this applies to you, that's fine, move along, this is not the thread you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve de Vries
msg tools
This is great! I didn't know I wanted something like this until now .

Subscribed and bookmarked!
If you need some QA work done on this, gimme a shout out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice! subscribed. thx!
i cant help much exc w playtested (no tech brain) so best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pierce
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed. I am techy and have graphics chops. Not a real coder though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Not sure how to work with Binaries, but wasn't able to open the Mac one on my Mac just by clicking on it (is some other program required to open it?). Could also be work firewalls or some other security thing. I'll try the .exe out when I get home).

Sounds awesome though, let me know if you need anything else to make this happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious, but not curious enough to run some random binary on my computer just yet.

You should post screenshots!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Belcher
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:
I'm curious, but not curious enough to run some random binary on my computer just yet.

I concur!

I can't run it (at work), and I can't really contribute (not code savvy), but I'm very interested in seeing how something like this turns out. I haven't started a Hexcrawl campaign yet, partly because I don't want to deal with the bookkeeping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:

Of course, that makes a lot of sense given the rough state of the project--it's not yet worth the download time. I'll get some pics put up after work tonight.

I could definitely use some of that help offered; it's too soon for QA, but I need graphics help like yesterday.

Edit: I updated the top post with a link to a YouTube video of me doing a few things in the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I took the plunge and ran your random binaries. Windows version seems to work!

• It's still an early build, but it's always weird to see something I worked on pushed even further by other people. Looks good so far!
• It auto-generates all locations for all the towns and even the Town Types, though the Traits seemed to be filled with placeholder names. Just having it auto-generate the locations seems pretty badass a feature that would cut down on the amount of rolling needed.
• Apart from Load and Save, not sure what some of the buttons on the left-hand side of the screen do, Dev buttons used by Unity?
• Some of the text at the top refers to the Posse Name and then a bunch of Town stats. Is the plan to have that provide info on your current location or is that some sort of toolbar for generating new towns/town traits?
• Saving your game seems to save the position of the Hero marker between sessions.
• Moving around via arrow keys works.
• Almost missed the day tracker at the bottom. Clicks and progresses the days.
• Looks like you already have a good list of features you're looking to add on Github, the only basic one I didn't see on there that came to mind was being able to click to drag around the map (instead of using the arrow keys).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:

• It auto-generates all locations for all the towns and even the Town Types, though the Traits seemed to be filled with placeholder names. Just having it auto-generate the locations seems pretty badass a feature that would cut down on the amount of rolling needed.

I have all of your charts in filler text, stored in simple JSON files to make it easy for people to update. It's going to be some time before I start working on replacing the filler text. I need to finalize the format of the data, then hopefully others can chip in with the text and just send me pull requests on github.

Quote:

• Apart from Load and Save, not sure what some of the buttons on the left-hand side of the screen do, Dev buttons used by Unity?

All the background text and buttons there in the upper left are debug stuff. They'll go away eventually.

Quote:

• Some of the text at the top refers to the Posse Name and then a bunch of Town stats. Is the plan to have that provide info on your current location or is that some sort of toolbar for generating new towns/town traits?

Again, that's all debug stuff. I'd love to have the map actually be a true hex map so that the correct type of terrain encounter can be figured, but I totally failed at that. I gave up after about two weeks of struggling. So no info on current location at this time, just the position of the posse marker.

Quote:

• Saving your game seems to save the position of the Hero marker between sessions.
• Moving around via arrow keys works.

Yep. I've also added WASD keys back for scrolling, and hope to have mouse scrolling and zooming at some point, and a clickable minimap for positioning as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Again, that's all debug stuff. I'd love to have the map actually be a true hex map so that the correct type of terrain encounter can be figured, but I totally failed at that. I gave up after about two weeks of struggling. So no info on current location at this time, just the position of the posse marker.

Sorry to hear that. I had thought it'd be neat to be able have it work as a hex map as well where it could actually track traveling. So you'd have 6 Move points (+/- whatever modifiers you might have) and then the app only lets you move as far in a day as you're actually able to (also handling terrain encounters and such), but I have no idea what's actually possible when it comes to programming stuff like that out. Sounds like you've put in a crap ton of time as it is on this, I can't even describe how weirdly awesome that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome. I'm a software dev as well, and have a released a few apps that use unity. I'll try to have a look and see if I can contribute.

Thank you for contributing to the community, this makes the already excellent HexCrawl even better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murteas wrote:
I'm a software dev as well, and have a released a few apps that use unity. I'll try to have a look and see if I can contribute.

Fantastic! I'm new to Unity and C#, so that will be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much time to work on this, but I did manage to add some new features.

Town panel is looking a little bit better and has more stuff to do:

HexCrawl Injury rolling, for convenience:

HexCrawl Madness rolling, for convenience:

Mutations are there as well, but I think you get the point by now. All of the data is still using placeholder text.

These charts, plus a Jobs panel, are accessible via buttons along the right side of the screen. I think a pop-up radial button might be nicer, but I'll save that for the future.

Everything is still fairly ugly at this point, both in terms of UI and the project's code. I suck at the former but am getting better with the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm liking this the more and more I see it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL MCGUIRE
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this still being worked on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Slabbert
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Please say this is still being worked on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.