13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: Origins Event Listings Up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pre-registration isn't online yet, but it looks like it will be anyday. The event listings ARE up, and the pre-reg book should be out soon too.

http://www.originsgames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Pfeffer
United States
Bellefonte
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if we don't have Excel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
End the Shutdown!
mbmbmbmbmb
enfanta wrote:

OpenOffice.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
enfanta wrote:

OpenOffice.org

I think the real question is, what kind of idiot thinks .xls is a usable format for disseminating such important and platform-neutral information?

Sure, if you want to go to the trouble to install OpenOffice, you can do that. But are they really so hard up for decent web jockeys that they couldn't put the whole mess in a decent database and provide some sort of usable query frontend for it? Has anyone else tried to slog through that crappy excuse for a document yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I take back most of my previous post. I can see why they don't use an online database: their website is slow enough as it is.

I'm already frustrated with Origins, though, before it's even started. I've never gone before, and I've heard from everyone about how wonderful it's supposed to be, but all I'm seeing is an organization with an ugly website and no organizational skills.

And to top it all off, there doesn't seem to be any sort of guide to what I'm supposed to do before I get there or when I arrive. The "Newbie's Guide" only goes so far. It tells me why I should want ribbons, for example, but not how or when I'm supposed to go about getting the one I need, nor how much it will cost. The Origins organization happily took my credit card number to sell me some generic tokens, but I have no idea how or where I'm supposed to pick those up. For that matter, I don't even know what I'm going to need to pick up my badge, or whether it's supposed to have been mailed to me and I just never got it. And I have a million other questions just like that, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to get them answered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
End the Shutdown!
mbmbmbmbmb
parkrrrr wrote:
Okay, I take back most of my previous post. I can see why they don't use an online database: their website is slow enough as it is.

I'm already frustrated with Origins, though, before it's even started. I've never gone before, and I've heard from everyone about how wonderful it's supposed to be, but all I'm seeing is an organization with an ugly website and no organizational skills.

And to top it all off, there doesn't seem to be any sort of guide to what I'm supposed to do before I get there or when I arrive. The "Newbie's Guide" only goes so far. It tells me why I should want ribbons, for example, but not how or when I'm supposed to go about getting the one I need, nor how much it will cost. The Origins organization happily took my credit card number to sell me some generic tokens, but I have no idea how or where I'm supposed to pick those up. For that matter, I don't even know what I'm going to need to pick up my badge, or whether it's supposed to have been mailed to me and I just never got it. And I have a million other questions just like that, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to get them answered.

Even though I am an Origins veteran I share your frustration. Every year it seems they have to start from scratch on their web site and event process. From what I've heard the guy in charge of organizing the events got another job within GAMA and is doing his old job part-time.

To your other questions, you can order ribbons and tickets on their web-site once they open the registration area (maybe next week). The event costs are on the event listing. The ribbons cost are usually aroung $20 to $30 IIRC.

You can pick up your badge and any preordered tickets, tokens, and ribbons at the convention center (in the main hallway in areas B & C) starting Wednesday afternoon. They ask for a picture ID though if you have your e-mail receipt they might take that.

In spite of the disorganization by GAMA I always manage to have a great deal of fun at Origins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pretentious? Moi?
United States
Pocomoke
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
parkrrrr wrote:

Yes, their website is terrible & waay behind. In fact, the early-bird registration has just been extended from its May 25 deadline to June 18, because they're so behind.

To answer a few questions:

They never mail out badges, you have to pick them up at the Con. When you arrive at the convention center, look for the "Pre-purchased Badges" ticket counters--they'll have *much* shorter lines. Bring your photo ID & happily wait for your badge to be located, while 90% of the other people in the hall stand in the looonnnnnggg line.

You can purchase tokens from most of the 'ticket' counters, such as where you sign-up for events or purchase badges. The same is true for some ribbons (others are awarded or won through various games).

Purchased Ribbons get you into some events, often in lieu of paying with tokens--although, it never hurts to have a few tokens extra in your pocket, in case you're next to a 'filled' game which suddenly has an opening for one more player--this happens quite a bit in my experience, normally due to no-shows. Plus, sometimes in the middle of a busy Saturday, tokens can become scarce at the ticket windows & it takes them a while to scrounge up enough to sell you. So in the above scenario, you'd have probably ended up missing that game, had you stepped out to buy a few.

If you purchased tokens, along with your badge, they should have a record of it & should present them to you along with your badge. (Your confirmation email should have that info--print a copy & bring it!).

Feel free to ask more, I've been going there for years, too.

Also, for everyone else, the Event Listings are also now available as pdf's, just scroll down below the .xls files.

-R³
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Logan and Todd. You have both been very helpful.

Short note to everyone else: event registration starts at noon tomorrow.

I do have a couple more questions.

Does anyone know what the "Ribbon Request" column in the spreadsheet is supposed to mean? Is it useful at all? For example, is there any utility in buying a "Board Room" ribbon when there are only four distinct events that list that ribbon under "Ribbon Request?"

Also, can anyone tell me what the difference between "repeated" and "ongoing" is? Does "ongoing" mean that there are multiple sessions of a game more-or-less one after the other and that the specific date and time listed are only representative?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
End the Shutdown!
mbmbmbmbmb
parkrrrr wrote:
Thanks, Logan and Todd. You have both been very helpful.

Short note to everyone else: event registration starts at noon tomorrow.

I do have a couple more questions.

Does anyone know what the "Ribbon Request" column in the spreadsheet is supposed to mean? Is it useful at all? For example, is there any utility in buying a "Board Room" ribbon when there are only four distinct events that list that ribbon under "Ribbon Request?"

Also, can anyone tell me what the difference between "repeated" and "ongoing" is? Does "ongoing" mean that there are multiple sessions of a game more-or-less one after the other and that the specific date and time listed are only representative?

I'll try and answer your questions. The Ribbon column shows if an event is covered by a ribbon. There are very few covered by the boardroom ribbon because it is mainly a place for open gaming. Repeated means the event is scheduled at other times. I think ongoing refers to events where you can drop in anytime during the scheduled hours to play. The Starfleet Battles Tourney is that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again, Todd.

I managed to complete the "Event Preregistration" game with 14 victory points out of a possible 15, so I'll call that a success. I didn't even wear out the "retry" button on my error page, though it was a rather close shave at that. (The fifteenth VP was a seminar I wanted to attend that slightly overlapped a game I also wanted to play; apparently it's not possible to sneak out of a seminar early, so they don't allow you to double-register like that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Duggan
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My questions/issues

1. Is there a "war room" ribbon? Or is that only covered by the strategicorps ribbon? Or the War college?

2. Why do the Memoir '44 tournaments say they have a max players of "2"? Is it expected that two guys will show up, play a game, and leave? No round robin vs other players. Something seems wrong.

2.5 I hope there is a grand battlelore tourney

3. The carcasssone tournaments say minimum age 10+. How strict is that? My 8 and 6 year old can play carc, and I hope they can do something. Shoudl i volunteer to run an "all ages" session?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Board Room Ribbon is Event 400

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hacke
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Web sites designed by committee and redeveloped every hour never really look good.

Don't Make Me Think: The Origins website has devolved since it's initial design to the point where to do anything you need to know everything up front. Making visitors think sends them away. We want simple.

Information Architecture: Use a clean and simple concept. It doesn't matter of the concept is a wide structure without much depth or a narrow but deep structure, as long as people can reasonably determine where they are and what they are doing.

Words: Remove half the words from EVERYTHING you write on the web, then remove half of what remains. We browse at 60 miles an hour, don't make me spend an hour reading your page. Remember, I don't want to think!

And yes, if you look in the code, I am listed as the original author so I am not speaking without some knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.