Subject: Stone Archway and Rule 6 [Spoiler] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Stone Archway that we start the game with considered a "Portal of the Ancients"? It looks like the ones on the stickers, but without a defense value to do a Dangerous Waters check ...

If yes, do we just consider it to have a defense of zero and don't do a Dangerous Waters check if warping through that one first?

(We had someone discover our first Portal within three spaces of the Stone Archway, and we all got very confused ...)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Why are you confused?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it isn't ever labeled as a Portal anywhere -- you've got two different terms (Stone Archway vs Portal of the Ancients) that apparently end up being the same thing. Also because no defense value shown. Would have expected Rule 6 to clarify this somehow.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the exact same question. The rules don't mention it, so we weren't sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it's exactly the same symbol I thought the intention was clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Official answer from JR:
Quote:
Yes, it's a portal of the ancients that doesn't require a dangerous waters check to enter... but it does require one in the space you end in if that PotA requires it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This shows the problem with impromptu, off-the-cuff "official" answers. This can't be right, as it directly contradicts Rule 6:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Do not do a Dangerous Waters check for the portal you arrive at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just took him as saying that if you start from another portal and END on the printed stone archway, you do a dangerous waters check (because of the one you entered from).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jesse largent
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
His phrasing is a little foggy. He could also mean if you END your turn on a spot that requires a check?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesselargent81 wrote:
His phrasing is a little foggy. He could also mean if you END your turn on a spot that requires a check?

I'm checking with Rob for clarification, will report back on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, the Portal of the Ancients is a "free" (you don't have to roll the dangerous waters check) way to skip out farther to the sea once you've found other portals.

Of course, you have to follow normal rules and roll the Dangerous Waters checks when you're heading back, since you do so whenever you enter a portal (but not when you exit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Sandhill
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am confused. I understand the rules stated above but on the sticker sheet for the portal of the ancients there is a single 7 strength red defense sticker. It would seem that it should go on the preprinted p.o.t.a. but that is contradictory to what is being said here. Are we just supposed to ignore that sticker until later instructed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you use a sticker from one of the sheets before you are given instructions to use it? That much seems obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Butler
msg tools
josandhill wrote:
I am confused. I understand the rules stated above but on the sticker sheet for the portal of the ancients there is a single 7 strength red defense sticker. It would seem that it should go on the preprinted p.o.t.a. but that is contradictory to what is being said here. Are we just supposed to ignore that sticker until later instructed?

Yes, ignore it. Later on you there is something that will direct you on where/when to place t.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.