Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CR7
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I'm playing with the Baratheon's, and I have Robert marshaled out in play, who's card text reads: "Robert Baratheon gets +1 STR for each other kneeling character in play."

Let's say i'm on the defense, and Robert is standing. my opponent then kneels 3 cards to attack me. If I kneel Robert for defense, does his card text ability allow +3 strength for the attackers who just presently knelt, or is it only strength from kneelers prior to the challenge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In most cases (but not all) a vey literal reading of the card text provides your best answer.

In the case of this card, he does indeed gain +1 STR for each other kneeling character in play at the time his ability is resolved (doesn't matter the faction of who's kneeling).

His ability is a "Constant Ability" (see pg 5 of the Rules Reference). Essentially, a Constant Ability is always active. This means that the text on his card applies every second of the game while he's in play! So at the time and every time his strength needs to be referenced, you count the number of kneeling characters (again, at that instant) and add +1 STR to him, for each.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
I Should Live in Salt
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. EVERY OTHER knelt character contributes +1. The only knelt character who doesn't add +1 is Robert himself. This includes the guys who just attacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CR7
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the answers guys. Those were both helpful and informative for this card, and for regarding future understanding of other cards. I was thinking that's how it should work,though wanted to reach out to the community for it. I'm still learning the game and playing through with each faction to get a feel for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.