Subject: Unattackable patroler rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Balsiger
Switzerland
Langnau am Albis
Zürich
flag msg tools
If you have something patrolling that is "unattackable" can you ignore it? Must you ignore it? Must you NOT ignore it?

Same question for invisible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't attack a patroller, you can attack other targets. For example, if the only patroller is flying, your non-flying non-anti-air units can just walk under it and attack other things. In fact, if they attack, they must do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If an invisible thing patrols it becomes attackable (it doesn't lose the other benefits of being invisible though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been caught out in the past by patrolling with a Tiny Basilisk, which is "unattackable by Tech 0 units". That means my opponent's Tech 0s can waltz straight past the Basilisk and attack whatever other patroller they like, or all the way into my base if there are no other patrollers. Oops.

As Joshua said, invisible has a special exception in its reminder text: when an invisible thing patrols, it is attackable, but still not targetable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Balsiger
Switzerland
Langnau am Albis
Zürich
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies. But if an invisible thing is patrolling, does that mean that you have to attack it, or can you choose to ignore it?
(I guess with unattackable, you can't attack it regardless of where it is, right?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRobin wrote:
Thanks for the replies. But if an invisible thing is patrolling, does that mean that you have to attack it, or can you choose to ignore it?
(I guess with unattackable, you can't attack it regardless of where it is, right?)

You can't ignore it, as it's attackable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRobin wrote:

It is written in the description of invisible that if it patrols, it becomes attackable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
If you can't attack a patroller, you can attack other targets. For example, if the only patroller is flying, your non-flying non-anti-air units can just walk under it and attack other things. In fact, if they attack, they must do so.

Can you expand on this? I looked through the rulebook and the gathering of rulings in the Google docs spreadsheet and couldn't quite find the support for this.

Example 1: Defender has a Gargoyle which was activated and now has Flying. The Gargoyle is sitting in the Squad Leader patrol area (has Taunt). Attacker has no flying units or anti-air units. The attacking units can all ignore the Gargoyle and put damage directly on the base?

Example 2: Now give one of the attacking units Flying. I assume the Flying unit must now either attack the Gargoyle or not attack at all. But the other units can still pass the Gargoyle and attack the base?

In our most recent game, we had played that 1) you have to deal with the Gargoyle before attacking anything else because it's a Squad Leader with Taunt, and 2) if you don't have Flying or Anti-Air, you can't attack the Gargoyle, so 3) none of the attacker's units could attack at all. I'd like to be able to point to a ruling or a part of the rulebook somewhere to show my friend that maybe we played it wrong.

EDIT: I saw sharpobject's comment here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21905053#21905053

Quote:
If a flying unit is patrolling, ground forces do not have to attack it. They can attack the stuff behind it instead. (Most ground forces also can't attack the flying patroller, because they don't have anti-air)

Is that where this ruling comes from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigtex01 wrote:
Example 1: Defender has a Gargoyle which was activated and now has Flying. The Gargoyle is sitting in the Squad Leader patrol area (has Taunt). Attacker has no flying units or anti-air units. The attacking units can all ignore the Gargoyle and put damage directly on the base?

Yes. In fact, Anti-Air is even better, in that it gives the option but not the requirement to attack the flying patroller. Basically, the only thing that has to attack a flying patroller is a flying attacker.

Flying: great on offense, weak on defense except vs. other flyers.

Quote:
Example 2: Now give one of the attacking units Flying. I assume the Flying unit must now either attack the Gargoyle or not attack at all. But the other units can still pass the Gargoyle and attack the base?

Yup.

Quote:
In our most recent game, we had played that 1) you have to deal with the Gargoyle before attacking anything else because it's a Squad Leader with Taunt, and 2) if you don't have Flying or Anti-Air, you can't attack the Gargoyle, so 3) none of the attacker's units could attack at all. I'd like to be able to point to a ruling or a part of the rulebook somewhere to show my friend that maybe we played it wrong.

Right from the rulebook:

Quote:
To attack, exhaust your attacker (turn it sideways) and say what it attacks. Your attacker can attack anything of your opponent’s that has hit points: any unit, hero, or building. However, if it CAN attack the opponent’s SQUAD LEADER, then it can't attack anything else. Otherwise, if your attacker CAN attack any other PATROLLER, then it can't attack a non- PATROLLER (you can choose which patroller you want to attack).

If your attacker CAN’T attack a certain patroller, that attacker can just ignore that particular patroller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
If your attacker CAN’T attack a certain patroller, that attacker can just ignore that particular patroller.

Yep, it's right there in the rulebook. That's exactly what I missed. Thanks for pointing it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.