$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Drawing from the bottom: small decks question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read in the rules that when you are "looking/searching" for a condition card or spell card that you are to draw the cards from the bottom of the deck, right?

I understand that when you are suppose to draw a random spell card that drawing from the bottom of the deck seems like the right thing to do but when you are "looking/searching" for a specific card does it have to be drawn from the bottom?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what specific card you are "looking/searching" for.

If it is a named card then just go through the deck until you find it, and then re-shuffle. If, however, you are required to search for a type of card, eg Weapon, then you can draw from the bottom until you find the first Weapon card. Same thing applies with Conditions, draw from the bottom until you find the first one with the named Condition
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
when you are "looking/searching" for a specific card does it have to be drawn from the bottom?
By the rules, yes. From what I understand, you already know that.
But if you want, you can houserule it anyway you like. I suppose you already know this too.

I guess you wanted to ask "If I'm looking for a specific card, does it matter if I search from the bottom?"
No, it doesn't.

As long as you're following the other rules (e.g. shuffle the deck after searching), direction of the search changes nothing.
If there is only one copy of the specific card, you'll find this same copy no matter where you started the search.
If there is more than one copy, then technically you'll find a different one when you search from the bottom, and a different one if you search from the top, but in both cases it will be a random copy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wolf
msg tools
This rule is about limiting the knowledge you have.

Consider this example. An encounter card gives you two options, one of which requires you to gain a DEAL condition.

If the top of the conditions deck is a DEAL condition, you can see which type of deal it is and decide to not do it because it is a dark pact or conversely do it because it is a funding condition.

Of course, if the top card isn't a DEAL at all, then it doesn't matter.

Having you always draw from the bottom removes scenarios like this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ibwolf wrote:
This rule is about limiting the knowledge you have.

Consider this example. An encounter card gives you two options, one of which requires you to gain a DEAL condition.

If the top of the conditions deck is a DEAL condition, you can see which type of deal it is and decide to not do it because it is a dark pact or conversely do it because it is a funding condition.

Of course, if the top card isn't a DEAL at all, then it doesn't matter.

Having you always draw from the bottom removes scenarios like this.


Yes that is the one problem, but it is simply solved by cutting the deck first, so you don't get the card you see on top, rather than fiddly drawing from the bottom.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
ibwolf wrote:
This rule is about limiting the knowledge you have.

Consider this example. An encounter card gives you two options, one of which requires you to gain a DEAL condition.

If the top of the conditions deck is a DEAL condition, you can see which type of deal it is and decide to not do it because it is a dark pact or conversely do it because it is a funding condition.

Of course, if the top card isn't a DEAL at all, then it doesn't matter.

Having you always draw from the bottom removes scenarios like this.


Yes that is the one problem, but it is simply solved by cutting the deck first, so you don't get the card you see on top, rather than fiddly drawing from the bottom.
Cutting is more fiddly for me, but this isn't on topic anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I separate the conditions and spells into stacks of each type. If I need a random ritual I draw from the bottom of the ritual stack. If I need a random spell, I roll a die to determine which spell stack to draw from then take one from the bottom. I do it this way just because from my experience the random of a specific type cards seem to come up way more often than random of any type.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you draw from the top, Cthulhu will claim your first-born.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
If you draw from the top, Cthulhu will claim your first-born.


Good, will that include paying for her college tuition?
whistle
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mangis
United States
Medical Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was ridiculously sad when I found out about this rule! Not being able to choose your spells removes so much strategy from the game, imo, so I just house rule it now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahelmang wrote:
I was ridiculously sad when I found out about this rule! Not being able to choose your spells removes so much strategy from the game, imo, so I just house rule it now.


EH is a luck based game (Thematic/AmeriTrash) so making "choices" like one does for Euro/Strategy games, to me, somehow lessens the game play for EH, but that's just my opinion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahelmang wrote:
I was ridiculously sad when I found out about this rule! Not being able to choose your spells removes so much strategy from the game, imo, so I just house rule it now.


So you look through the Spell deck and choose the one you want? Do you do the same with Assets?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mangis
United States
Medical Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
No no no assets you have several to choose from anyway. Why would I go looking through the deck?
I really dislike the term ameritrash... It seems to be a dismissive way of referring to any game with dice. But there is still lots of strategy in EH, I just enjoy it more when I can do more character building.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahelmang wrote:
No no no assets you have several to choose from anyway. Why would I go looking through the deck?
I really dislike the term ameritrash... It seems to be a dismissive way of referring to any game with dice. But there is still lots of strategy in EH, I just enjoy it more when I can do more character building.


Don't get hung up on the term AmeriTrash, we who love thematically immersive games with unexpected twists and great art wear it with pride.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Character building is already built into the characters on their character cards. Don't get me wrong, I can see your point (getting spells of your choice to help your investigator succeed) but I hope you can understand why folks might see that as a way of "breaking" the game.

When I first started to play EH I, too, tried to twist the rules to make sense to me until I started to realize that the designers took the time to make the game and explored all their options (though the FAQ really goes over stuff with a fine toothed comb).

As for "AmeriTrash", its an endearing term used by many (myself included) and I do not take offense to it but if you do then don't use the term but understand what it really means (in context) when others do.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mangis
United States
Medical Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I suppose if I wasn't playing solo so often, I wouldn't have to rely on mages so much. It was the only strategy I could think of for one or two investigators. And it's more fun this isn't AH after all
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.