Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Written just now:
Ok so up front caveat, this is a first play opinion and I fully appreciate that its a very narrow experience to form any view on the game. But this is just what I think after the play and I thought I'd share it to see what people think. I'm still unsure about keeping it but I would play it again for sure. Just when you look at your game collection at what to pick in an evening, I can see myself not choosing this over others.

Written after the game last night:
PostHuman tonight was OK, but that's it. It was as I expected tho really. A lot of nice things about the game but the game itself really doesn't feel the same. The tons of equipment is cool. The character skills are cool. The events and encounters are cool. The mutant side is cool. But the lot put together is just really lackluster. I think its just over complicated. Massively ameritrash but not strictly saying that's a bad thing.

Even at 3 players the downtime between rounds if everyone is having a combat encounter is too long (like 5 mins a player max which is quite a lot). I wouldn't want to try it past 4 players. But i feel that it would only be good at higher player counts where people turning mutant is more likely. I'd sort of love to play it more and experiment a bit. But I'm so much more likely to pick something else every time. Just don't see the need to keep it and get into it. Overall I think the game looks really good and it sounds quality. Its just too fiddly and doesn't live up to its impression.

The best part was right at the end where Kris and I made it to the fortress on the last turn, with Stu also on the 9 spot attempting his entry too. He had a 2 encounter zone and the first card was a fight with 2 minions. So it was 3 on 1. Although Kris and I were eagerly rolling to win the fight against Stu. We kinda hoped he would make it too. Stu fought through all that and won. But then he turned an event card where he had to give up 2 food, or finish the guy off and lose 3 morale. He didn't have the 2 food to pay, or have more than 3 morale though. So unfortunately he lost the morale and was knocked out on the final spot! Quite thematic really, he was so distraught, he just gave up to the chaos in the world and I imagine became PostHuman.

Its odd tho. I'm probably going to sell it. But I keep thinking about how RPG the game is and that i love RPGs. Love collecting gear, setting up my character and leveling up, and exploring to finding cool shit. Just in a board game that takes a good 45 mins per player I reckon, its not viable.

We didn't touch the mutant side so perhaps have missed a ton of what the game can offer. I had 4 scars once but was able to use a camp ability to heal one away. I never got a 4th again but that was the closest we came a mutant. I was always up with the journey track so didn't consider turning mutant on purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
I played it about ten times with up to 3 players. I really gave it a few chances but it's way too much dice rolling and way too limited relevant player choices. The encounters get repetitive after the third game.
To be honest 99 % of the time a turn is flat out boring dice rolling. The downtime is horrible even with 3 players.

Not a fan of it anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played Posthuman over 40 times so far and it is still in our top 5 games (out of about 100). Really good solo too. I know most people will disagree, but I way prefer it to Robinson Crusoe (they have some similar elements), so much so that I'm trying to sell RC.

I don't find it getting repetitive at all (no more than other games). Player time with more than 3 players is indeed an issue but we normally play with less. I wouldn't recommend playing with 4.

Great combat system. Awesome stuff to find. The semi co-op mechanics work well. But overall, I think the theme is what makes it for me. The tension in fights is really good.

Anyway, just my personal opinion. Rated number 2 at the moment (after Tales of the Arabian Nights and before Skull Tales).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorado69 wrote:
We've played Posthuman over 40 times so far and it is still in our top 5 games (out of about 100). Really good solo too. I know most people will disagree, but I way prefer it to Robinson Crusoe (they have some similar elements), so much so that I'm trying to sell RC.

I don't find it getting repetitive at all (no more than other games). Player time with more than 3 players is indeed an issue but we normally play with less. I wouldn't recommend playing with 4.

Great combat system. Awesome stuff to find. The semi co-op mechanics work well. But overall, I think the theme is what makes it for me. The tension in fights is really good.

Anyway, just my personal opinion. Rated number 2 at the moment (after Tales of the Arabian Nights and before Skull Tales).

I always find comments like yours fascinating as they are a complete polar opposite to what I would say.

Had to compare game collections, just to see if there was any common ground. Turns out, we literally only have one crossover game and that's Robinson Crusoe, which you're looking to get rid of, and I consider one of the best in the genre. So I can see why we would differ so much.

This isn't to belittle your post, of course, I just still find it interesting how different people can be. I don't think we would agree with anything Board game related.

For me, Posthuman is probably one of the worst board games I've ever played (and I've played a fair few). It's currently top of my list to sell once I get round to culling some titles.

From the length, to the poorly thought out (read: incredibly boring) Mutant play and the needlessly complicated combat system. It's just not a very good game at all. There are many games I would play instead of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Zeliec
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love to give games a try, I'm really open minded.

After playing Posthuman twice solo when I was learning it and once with my GF this is my impression:

1) Takes a table for 10 to play 2+ players.
2) The game is all about dice rolls, no real decisions on player's behalf.
3) It feels like solitaire with dice, not much strategy there... Either you pass 10 encounters or you don't and you get back and you pass the same encounters again. Nothing bad happens when you get KO-d.
4) The setup takes forever, sorting things out after - takes forever.
5) TYPOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6) Rules have multiple mistakes and discrepancies apart from typos.
7) The experience is very poor
8) Playing with more players only lowers the experience because it takes forever to finish, but you don't really interact help or mess up other players that much or you don't need to ....
9) I like the mutation idea, that's a good one.
10) I like the variety of cards.

I rated it 5 out of 10 for the theme, the design and the unique mutation mechanics.

It's a good solo game, but the game ends there, everything else is random, you can have the same fun by rolling a pair of dice the entire afternoon for the sake of rolling them.

I'm not a fan of selling board games, but I really don't feel I want to see this on my shelf, it reminds me of the disappointment it brought me when I bought it. I was so pumped up......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies all. I have since sold it and I hope the new owner enjoys it more than I would have.

Fortunately we live in a world with 1000s of board games and there is something out there every one of us will enjoy. I OK with not taking to this one. Part of the fun is trying as many and getting your own personal collection the best it can be

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Borg
Sweden
flag msg tools
It's so strange to read these opinions on the game! How can you say that a game with so many different possible outcomes is always the same. If there are things that you can criticize the game for, surely this is not one of them.

Like Lenny, me and my group have played this game many many times. It's one of our top 3 games for sure. I also find it really strange that you say there are no choices. There were some posts about this when the game launched which made no sense to me. Once you understand the repercussions of your action, every little choice you make is going to matter further down the line. And the choices you make are not trivial at all!

To say this is just a game about die-rolling makes it clear you don't understand how the game works - and that might be the worst critique you can level at the game: that it is not immediately apparent to all players what the repercussions of their decisions are. And in that way new players have a hard time with it when playing with experienced ones. But then again a LOT of meatier games are like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I agree with your points. Ill just note you are talking about other peoples comments rather than my own

I really do think if your group can get into this, it will be awesome having repeat plays. But like I said, for me, I have a lot of choices Id put over this simply because of the time vs player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.