Subject: java client (with board game) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I tried downloading the java client, which I have to say got me awfully excited, since it opens up the possibility of playing this game more than I thought I would. I'll be playing against my self this weekend to try and get a feel for it and hopefully post on the facebook group once I feel like Im ready to play against a veteran (I dont mind losing so that shouldnt take long!).

I had read that you still need the board game to use the java client, which makes sense, but after playing around with it for just 20-30mins I couldnt really tell why. The client evens shows the cards, which I would imagine would be the best way to force people to buy the game before using the client.

What am I missing? Im assuming there is several key aspects that I havent noticed yet, or else an updated version of the client now means we dont need the board game.

Im not asking because I'd like to use the client without the board game. On the contrary, I'd be quite disappointed if that were so. It would then turn this game into a computer game, which I have zero interest in.

...whilst Im asking about the client, is it possible during a game to log on and make a move whilst your opponent is offline? Then your opponent log on, see your move and counter it. Or is solely designed for both players to be online at the same time?

regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The character cards are missing from the client, to enforce board game ownership.

You can make moves offline and send the log to an opponent who can do their move. However, this is not recommended as it takes a LONG time to play a game like that, there are a lot of interactions in combat etc that make it impractical. Much better to play in real-time whenever you can and save the game in-between sessions if you do not finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
NASA Dawn approaching Ceres
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesJart wrote:
The character cards are missing from the client, to enforce board game ownership.

Thank you!!! I've been looking for those character cards for 30 minutes on the train today, thinking it would be good to play it on the go. I'm a WOTR old schooler but a java newbie and couldn't work out where they were hidden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ah, yes, makes sense.
i saw the event cards but hadnt considered the character cards.
thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.