Power Grid: The Robots» Forums » Rules

Subject: Step 5: "Bureaucracy". How many cities to provide? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lev Matiushenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
Must the Robot provide all it's cities with electricity or it can keep some resourses?
For example, Robot has two plants
30 (3 garbage)(6)
31 (3 coal)(6)
and seven cities. Current coal price is 2, current garbage price is 7.

It's clear that Robot will provide six cities with cheap coal. But must it also provide seventh city with garbage what will definetly reduce profit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's clear that Robot will provide six cities with cheap coal. But must it also provide seventh city with garbage what will definetly reduce profit?

Power Grid: The Robots rules wrote:

Phase 5: Bureaucracy

Quote:
When supplying cities with energy, the robot follows the same rules as when buying resources. He always uses the resources to earn the most money with his power plants. If in doubt, he always uses the cheapest resources, etc.

This does appear a bit ambiguous. It would depend on if "earning" the most money means gross revenue (use everything) or net profit (only use stuff that makes money).

However, the rules for buying resources says that the robot buys resources according to the rule on their tile and only stops when they either have filled normal production of ALL their plants, or they run out of money. So if they buy for all the plants, presumably they power everything, as if they power "the same way as when buying resources," would they not power what they bought?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it all depends upon what it must do as listed for its Phase 3: Buying resources. If it has enough money then it must follow what it says.

I then always play that if it can power to its max then it does regardless of whether it makes profit or not because the resources were so expensive for what it gets.

I believe there is a statement somewhere in the rules that says something like not everything will make sense from a human player viewpoint, but do it anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW there was a previous thread discussing/debating this:

Phase 5 Bureaucracy clarification (cheapest resources)

(Found in Power Grid: The Robots FAQ.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev Matiushenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
russ wrote:

No, this thread doesn't answer my question. Not even in the slightest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Univanger wrote:
russ wrote:

I only meant that the previous discussion might be of interest. I agree that the question remains open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev Matiushenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
russ wrote:
Univanger wrote:
russ wrote:

I only meant that the previous discussion might be of interest. I agree that the question remains open.
I looked through FAQ before asking, but thank you anyway. And sorry for being maybe a bit rude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any ambiguity.

"He always uses the resources to earn the most money with his power plants."

Powering 7 cities earns 82 bucks, 6 cities only 73. 82 is more than 73, and we were just told we *must* choose the most. So, 7 cities it is.

We're in the Bureaucracy phase, resource cost is irrelevant to us now, that was in a prior phase (when we followed whatever rules were needed for buying resources). Bureaucracy phase is simply concerned with income as depicted on the chart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.