Popular Tags: [View All]
Luiz Paulo Salgado Jr
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

The text in circular strike states: "...kills an enemy with a 2-handed melee attack..."; are there any lines or clues in the manual that diferentiates 1-handed and 2-handed melee weapons?
I uesd this rule trying to aply common sense (if you´re using a shield, you can´t be using your weapon 2-hamded, and nothing bizarre as a 2-handed dagger attack, or halberks with shields), but is there an icon or manual text that I´m missing here?

Thank you in advance,

LePe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes you missed it
All weapons that have an encumbrance value of 3 or more are considered 2-handed.
BUT! you can carry and us as many weapons as you want (respecting your encumbrance of course). The only time where it is important is with the ambidexterity skill. otherwise you can use a gem to attack with your sword, then another gem for a second attack with your bow. then in the OL phase use your shield to protect from incoming arrows. You can also switch back and forth between armors. Conan is not meant as a "RPG" type of game or as a reality simulator. It's more like an arcade game, where you switch weapons by pressing "1" to "9"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Paulo Salgado Jr
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you on your quick reply, could you direct me tô the page where this rule came from? I only remeber seen reference to encumbrence value to determine if an item could be thrown pé not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hoffman
United Kingdom
Abbey Wood
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 18 of rules, under Equipment Cards:

3) Encumberance Value: A weapon that has an encumberance value of 2 or less is considered a one-handed weapon. A weapon that has an encumberance of 3 or more is considered a two-handed weapon.

LePe wrote:
Thank you on your quick reply, could you direct me tô the page where this rule came from? I only remeber seen reference to encumbrence value to determine if an item could be thrown pé not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScarletJester wrote:
On page 18 of rules, under Equipment Cards:

3) Encumberance Value: A weapon that has an encumberance value of 2 or less is considered a one-handed weapon. A weapon that has an encumberance of 3 or more is considered a two-handed weapon.

LePe wrote:

And to preempt your next question: yes, you may use a 2H-weapon and a shield. It has been pointed out elsewhere that "2h" is a bit of a misnomer: "heavy weapon" would likely have been a more appropriate term. Also, you can use a shield together with a bow/crossbow in this game (as has been clarified in other threads). Likewise, you can switch weapons between attacks, e.g. a battle axe, then your crossbow, then your knives, if you so choose. Combat isn't a precision RPG-like system, but an abstract one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played a game in which Conan was in the same area with the Giant Snake, a Pict Warrior, and Zogar Sag. When he used his circular strike, he designated the snake as his target. With the excess damage (he rolled 12 damage...) he went after the next target. Does Conan get to choose the second target for the excess damage, or does the overlord? In this situation, it could have made the difference of Zogar Sag dying or not that round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Favre
Switzerland
Sion
Valais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no reason why Conan can't choose the second target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dYnkYn wrote:
There is no reason why Conan can't choose the second target.

Yeah, I agree that probably makes the most sense. Would be nice to have some clarity on this in the forthcoming FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, one more question that came up in another game tonight. If Conan attack an enemy and rolls, say 12 damage. The enemy has 1 armor, so it comes to 11 damage. The OL chooses to guard, rolling 6 on the attempt. So when the remaining damage goes to the next enemy in the area, do you subtract 6 from the guard attempt and the remaining 5 is applied to the next enemy, or does the guard attempt simply fail, and the remaining 10 is applied to the next enemy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aubaine wrote:
Sorry, one more question that came up in another game tonight. If Conan attack an enemy and rolls, say 12 damage. The enemy has 1 armor, so it comes to 11 damage. The OL chooses to guard, rolling 6 on the attempt. So when the remaining damage goes to the next enemy in the area, do you subtract 6 from the guard attempt and the remaining 5 is applied to the next enemy, or does the guard attempt simply fail, and the remaining 10 is applied to the next enemy?

If the enemy has 1 armor, you roll 12 damage, and the OL guards 6, then you need 2 damage to kill the monster (1 for armor plus 1 hit point), leaving:

12 damage
- 6 dodge
- 1 armor
- 1 HP
= 4

(not 5) damage to spread to the next target. Don't forget to subtract the single HP which most minions have (all have at least 1 and some have more, depending on the scenario).

Guarding is not an all-or-nothing thing: it blocks damage equal to the number of successes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
aubaine wrote:

If the enemy has 1 armor, you roll 12 damage, and the OL guards 6, then you need 2 damage to kill the monster (1 for armor plus 1 hit point), leaving:

12 damage
- 6 dodge
- 1 armor
- 1 HP
= 4

(not 5) damage to spread to the next target. Don't forget to subtract the single HP which most minions have (all have at least 1 and some have more, depending on the scenario).

Guarding is not an all-or-nothing thing: it blocks damage equal to the number of successes.

Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommaso Sammataro
Italy
Lucca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the next enemies guard themselves with new dice rolls (of course after that the OL has spent the necessary gems to perform a guard attempt) ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tommy82pi wrote:
Can the next enemies guard themselves with new dice rolls (of course after that the OL has spent the necessary gems to perform a guard attempt) ?

i think we have to assume "yes" because otherwise Circular Strike could be used to "bypass" an OL's defense. e.g. let's say we have a Hyena and the Giant Snake in a zone. Conan hits the Hyena for 6, which the OL decides not to block because Hyenas are low-value units (not worth the gems to defend them). Hyenas have no armor, so a single points kills them, leaving 5 left for the Snake. If the OL cannot block it, the Snake will take 2 damage. If, however, Conan had directly attacked the Snake, the OL would most like have chosen to spend gems to block it (assuming gems were available). To avoid this type of "gaming the system," i think we must assume (though it is not explicit) that each "follow-up unit" gets a chance to defend itself.

That said, a literally reading of Circular Strike (in English) implies that the damage is simply taken, with no defense. i suspect (but don't know for certain) that that is not the intent.

Good question. i'll be on the lookout for an answer. (This is the kind of interesting detail which Monolith, with their rushed schedule on the new manual, has probably not yet noticed, and therefor will not have time to get into the new manual (the French version of which is due "any day now").)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommaso Sammataro
Italy
Lucca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Stephan! I thought exactly the same.

I applied the rule "OL can defend each enemy by spending gems for guard action if he wants", otherwise I feel Circular Strike is very unbalanced especially when there are a lot of units with only one life point.

Anyhow, I've learned the hard way not to pack many units onto the same area of Conan eheh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tommy82pi wrote:

Yes.

sgbeal wrote:
i think we have to assume "yes" because otherwise Circular Strike could be used to "bypass" an OL's defense. e.g. let's say we have a Hyena and the Giant Snake in a zone. Conan hits the Hyena for 6, which the OL decides not to block because Hyenas are low-value units (not worth the gems to defend them). Hyenas have no armor, so a single points kills them, leaving 5 left for the Snake. If the OL cannot block it, the Snake will take 2 damage. If, however, Conan had directly attacked the Snake, the OL would most like have chosen to spend gems to block it (assuming gems were available). To avoid this type of "gaming the system," i think we must assume (though it is not explicit) that each "follow-up unit" gets a chance to defend itself.

Everything is clearly understood and explained by Stephan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.