Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Cassar
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read the suggestion to take out all of a certain trait and replace it with an expansion trait and not to simply add the cards into the existing deck due to watering down the deck.

But to me this feels like a waste of variety and has its own problems that are just as bad as watering down the deck as it can significantly modify the usefulness of other cards and can heavily impact the amount of food available.

I thought of the following which would give the deck extra variety while keeping a similar balance to the game...

Adding: Insectivore (-1,0,4 food)
Replacing: Nocturnal -1, Cooperation 0, Long neck 4

Adding: Coprophagia (-1,0,5)
Replacing: Fat Tissue -1, Cooling Frills 0, Warning Call 5

Adding: Claws (-1, 0, 5)
Replacing: Intelligence -1, Ambush 0, Intelligence 5

Adding: Trample (1,2,3)
Replacing: Symbiosis 1, Nocturnal 2, Long Neck 3

Adding: Timid (1,2,3)
Replacing: Burrowing 1, Warning Call 2, Burrowing 3

Adding: Mimicry (-1, 3)
Replacing: Heavy Fur -1, Migratory 3

Essentially only 3 of each of the expansion cards will be added in reducing many of the base cards to 5 or 6. The fact that there is only 3 doesn't seem to matter as they are not relying on other cards of the same type to show up and other cards are not relying on them.

This does add a few more cards with heat and cold icons but the balance between then should remain the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
If a game needs it, I feel forced to create and implement some variants.
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, I also like this type of variants and work/apply some similar ones. I think NSG don't propose something like this because it's a bit hard to follow and setup than its official suggestion. They prefer the most simple solutions for good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
North Star Games
United States
Kensington
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would strongly recommend against removing partial amounts of Warning Call and Ambush. It needs to be all or nothing. It's not necessarily that the ratios of the two cards have to be one to one for each other, but rather the ratio of those cards to the deck. If you pull a Warning Call and there are half as many Amubushes out there, that means that Warning Call is inordinately powerful. It makes the game far more luck based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
djcassar wrote:
But to me this feels like a waste of variety...

The boxed game provides more variety then most games on the market. You will not have explored everything CLIMATE has to offer until you've played it about 100 times. I'm more worried that people will stop playing before they've explored a fraction of the variety it has to offer then people not getting enough variety.

I cannot tell you how many times people play the game once and think they have it figured out. Haha!

djcassar wrote:
...and has its own problems that are just as bad as watering down the deck as it can significantly modify the usefulness of other cards and can heavily impact the amount of food available.

Changing the amount of food on the cards is fine. It alters the environment and modifies the best strategies, but it does not break the game.

Chango wrote:

Yeah, I also like this type of variants and work/apply some similar ones. I think NSG don't propose something like this because it's a bit hard to follow and setup than its official suggestion. They prefer the most simple solutions for good.

Yep!

There are thousands of variations that you could create that would provide a fantastic gaming experience. My guess is this suggestion will work wonderfully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cassar
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
You will not have explored everything CLIMATE has to offer until you've played it about 100 times. I'm more worried that people will stop playing before they've explored a fraction of the variety it has to offer then people not getting enough variety.

I am not saying the box doesn't have enough variety and if I didn't have that promo pack I wouldn't be fussed about extra variety. But I do have the pack and was wanting to make use of the extra cards it offers.

Personally, I find the positives certainly don't outway the negatives with that swap in/out technique and was hopeing there was a better way as I will likely never use the cards otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bornschein
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When using the (all??) cards of the promo III pack with climate, "...removing partial amounts of Warning Call and Ambush..." is strongly recommended. Which parts should be removed?

At the moment I have mixed the complete promo III pack into my Climate card deck (where I replaced my original cards with the climate cards).

Is there any rule pdf for the promo III pack cards?

Thanks
-Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kopernikus wrote:
When using the (all??) cards of the promo III pack with climate, "...removing partial amounts of Warning Call and Ambush..." is strongly recommended. Which parts should be removed?

No, no, no! This is exactly what you should NOT do.

Kopernikus wrote:
At the moment I have mixed the complete promo III pack into my Climate card deck (where I replaced my original cards with the climate cards).

This sounds horrible. Please play CLIMATE exactly as you found it in the box. We spent thousands of man hours to make a well balanced set of cards. The game is fantastic and should not be changed until you've played it several times.

Kopernikus wrote:
Is there any rule pdf for the promo III pack cards?

We are working on one. Our plan is to post an update on Kickstarter with the guidelines by the end of next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bornschein
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which traits are in the Promo III pack? I need to get them out of my deck then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bornschein
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found it:

7 Claws cards
7 Coprophagia cards
7 Insectivore cards
7 Mimicry cards
7 Timid cards
7 Trample cards

Would be nice to get a rule for this card since I did not know not to include them.

Thanks for the great game, we love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kopernikus wrote:
Which traits are in the Promo III pack? I need to get them out of my deck then.

They have an LTD on the bottom left corner of the picture. It stands for Limited Edition.

You'll get to enjoy your promo cards soon enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.