GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,822 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Card with instant effect when dealing hands rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Bourdin
France
flag msg tools
Hi, I've been following this forum since a while, and I'm currently having a problem that I have trouble to solve.

I apologize if some terms aren't well used, english isn't my native language.

I'm currently creating a card game where you have two draw piles, both with different kind of cards. At the beginning of the game, cards from the two draw piles are dealt to all players. The thing is, there's some really interesting things that I want to do with cards having an instant effect (used when drawn then). But I can't take the risk to have them dealt at the start of the game.

So one solution is to deal cards from only one draw pile and have the instant effect cards in the other draw pile. (What I'm currently doing).

Another one is to simply remove those cards (it's not breaking the game, but it loses interesting possibilities).

So I wanted to share this with you, to see if you have other working solutions, or had similar problems.

Thanks in advance for your feedback !

Edit : I forgot to mention the thing that I really want to do with those cards. The first one, is to have effect that wouldn't be possible to have with other cards (for example, because the card wouldn't be worth to play for the player), and the second one, is to add risk when drawing for a certain pile (greater reward, but greater risk).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick and choose:

Deal from 'acceptable' cards, then shuffle everything in.

Deal from 'acceptable' cards, then see 1/x of the 'acceptable' cards with 1/x of the 'instants', shuffle each mini deck and stack them (ensures even-ish distribution)

Deal from a combined deck, discarding any 'instants' received. Let them come back around in the reshuffle.

Deal from a combined deck and force any 'instants' to be played immediately (and then be replaced).

Deal from a combined deck and force any 'instants' to be played on a player's first opportunity (normally).

When creating the decks, separate into 'acceptable' and 'not acceptable'. Deal off some number of 'acceptable'. Shuffle the rest into the 'not acceptable'. Stack the short acceptable deck on top of the combined deck.

You can control when the cards appear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Deal from 'acceptable' cards, then see 1/x of the 'acceptable' cards with 1/x of the 'instants', shuffle each mini deck and stack them (ensures even-ish distribution)

When creating the decks, separate into 'acceptable' and 'not acceptable'. Deal off some number of 'acceptable'. Shuffle the rest into the 'not acceptable'. Stack the short acceptable deck on top of the combined deck.

Just a possible addition: Make the "acceptable" cards (ones without instant effects and geared towards the beginning of the game) with a different color/pattern border so that they are easily separated out before the next game. The backs will still make them match their respective decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You could make the non-startable cards conditional on some other game state. For example 'Do if the turn counter is 4 or more'. or 'If you have at least 3VP then....' Or 'if any player has at least 4 of a resource then...'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Deal from 'acceptable' cards, then shuffle everything in

This seems fairly simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Bourdin
France
flag msg tools
Thanks for all of your answers. I thought of most of them, and some of the others are too complicated for the kind of game I'm making. Anyway, it's always nice to know them, so thank you =).

I'll stick to my solution for now because I only have one kind of card with an instant effect and because it's possible for me to deal cards from only one draw pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crispin Moakler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
1 - Split cards, so the instants do something different on turn one.

1a - A game rule that says any instant in an opening hand is used to get a different effect at the start of the game.

2 - Players must discard and replace them

3 - Instants can not be played until every player has completed a full turn.

3a - Penalise early play (big penalty for playing them T1 (maybe discard 2 other cards at random??), lesser penalty on turn 2 (discard 1 card?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Herodier
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrispinTheGoblinKing wrote:

3a - Penalise early play (big penalty for playing them T1 (maybe discard 2 other cards at random??), lesser penalty on turn 2 (discard 1 card?).

I think what he's trying to say is these cards have draw-triggers - as in, you don't choose when to play them, they automatically go off when you draw them.

Quote:

This is by far the simplest answer. Deal, then shuffle - done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.