15 Posts

Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » Rules

Subject: MBP: Rules Overview rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since i had the chance to play the game several times, and i happen to speak a little english, i'd like to share a summary of the rules of the game, which are pretty simple.

MBP is a confrontational game, playable 1vs1, 3 or 4 players free for all, 2vs1, or 2vs2

The goal is to either kill an opposing God (yes, even in team multiplayer, a single god) or absorb a number of Omphalos (depending on the player count)

It is separated in two major steps: The Draft, and the Battle.

The Draft

According to the numbers of players, each will get X points to draft units that will be under his control.

2 players : 12 points each
3 players : 10 points each
4 players : 08 points each

On top of those points, players will each draft a God for free.

Units value are roughly :

Troops : 1 point each (troops bring several minis that act as a group, more effective when complete, with special abilities and a single health per mini. Thus, a group of 2 centaurs have 1 HP each, 2 total, while 6 h*llhounds have 6 hp total (with slightly lower stats))
Troops can be recalled / brought to its controller's god position using an Art of War card, thus, can be pretty annoying.

Heroes and Monsters range from 2 to 4 points.
All have several HP, special abilities, talents and overall higher stats / effectiveness according to their cost.

To make it short, a 2 point hero is roughly twice as effective as a 1 point troop, but a 4 point Monster (or hero) will be twice as good as the 2 point hero.

Troops range from Hoplites to Spartans, the Aforementioned H*llhounds & centaurs, to Amazons & more

Heroes include Leonidas, the most renowned Spartan King, the Half God Heracles, Atalanta the huntress, Achilles and more (each with their own costs and abilities. For example, Achilles is tough as nails (extra sturdy nails ^^) while Odysseus (yes, he is among the "more" ^^) is pretty smart).

Monsters consist of Medusa (who can turn people to stone, yikes), Cerberus, Guardian of the Underworld, or the multi-headed Hydra previously slain by Heracles - and more
Death didn't hamper their powers much, as the Minautor still furiously charges at people, Cerberus chews on his ennemies with his three heads... or breathes fire.

Every drafted unit brings cards to their player.
Activation cards, to make use of a unit - each unit have a set number of activation cards. Ex, Cerberus has 4, while Leonidas has 3.
Also, SOME heroes (no monsters or troops) give you X Art of War cards which have several uses i'll describe below. Ex: Leonidas gives 2 of them
Gods also bring different numbers of Activation and Art of War cards

The draft happens in a balanced pace, allowing players who get last pick to draft again immediately & draft order reversing (depending on numbers of players.

Once armies are selected, all Art of War / activation cards are shuffled into a draw deck with three cards per player drawn, THEN each player adds three extra Art of War cards to their hands, and the battle begins!

The Battle

At the start of his turn, a player draws a card from his deck.
Trust me, you'll forget that one reaaally important step in your first game a couple times ^^

The active player then has the option to do several things in his turn:

- Use Art of War card(s) for different effects.
- Activate unit(s)
- Use Talents and / or Powers
- Recall Troops

Or they can do nothing of that at all, and draw a card, skipping their turn.

Now, to go deeper in each step:

A player can use 1 Art of War card to:

- Draw 2 cards blindly from their deck
- Search for any one card in their deck (each time one interacts with their deck, it is reshuffled afterwards)
- Activate a second Unit (see below). Max 2 units activated / turn (unless some powers allow to bend that rule)
- At the end of the turn, recall a Troop (not a monster or Hero) unit to its god's position, reviving any fallen mini in the process

Each of these action can only be performed once per turn, but you can do all of them in a single turn if you feel like it.

Activating a unit means discarding from your hand an activation card matching said unit (ex, to activate Ares, discard an Ares card, obviously not a Achilles card).
Please take note that, since in the confrontation mode, minis start out of the board, your first activation for a given mini (meaning its the same rule for each mini's "get on the board" action), you can ONLY bring them to the battlefield. Forget about those shiny powers & abilities, they aren't available when arriving on the board.
That being done (thus, starting from their second activation), the unit can do 2 of 3 things (once each max):

- Move up to their movement value
- Attack something (in that order; Mythological's Greece characters aren't cowards who hit then run away)
- Pick up an Omphalos and physically put it on the mini's base. From here on, it'll move with the mini

Alternatively, a unit can spend all of their action running, in which case they add one to their movement value, but do nothing else.

If the Activated unit is a god and they start their turn in a zone containg an Omphalos, they can absorb its essence, getting closer to victory, removing the stone from the board, and adding an Omphalos card to their hand. And end their activation for said God.
An Omphalos card can either act as either an extra Art of War (thus being used as such then discarded) or removed from the game in order to heal your God 1 HP (removing doesn't mean you have to assimilate an extra stone, it still counts towards victory)

Also, on top of those actions, they can use any or all of their powers if they want to, paying any related cost.

Activating Talents or Powers is usually tied to combat, giving you an edge, or allowing you to do special stuff like releasing Thunder's might on your (un)suspecting foes, or chomp on several enemy units with your many heads, getting extra cards and whatnot...
These can either be free or cost a number of Art of war cards.
I won't go deep in those, because this is the meat of the game, and each unit has several / unique powers so it'll be a hassle in text for you to get.

Considering that, it means, in my turn, i could, if i decided to (and provided i have the matching cards):

- draw at the start of my turn
- Spend an Hades Activation card to make use of Hades (move + attack)
- Spend and Art of war card to have him fry adjacent enemies with his H*llfire power
- Spend an Art of war card to draw two cards
- Spend another one to fetch a cerberus Card from my deck (reshuffle afterwards)
- Spend a FOURTH Art of war card to activate a second unit (which might or might not be Cerberus)
- and so on... (though since that turn will be really costly in resources, so i hope my plan is pretty solid ^^)

Remember, unless you have a trick up your sleeve, no more than two units may be activated in a single turn.

Now... a sample Combat (barring powers & abities to be as general as can be)

Let's assume Ares melee attacks Zeus (both full HP)

Ares has an attack value of 9.
Zeus has a defense value of 9.

That means that to inflict a wound to Zeus, Ares needs to roll at least one 9 (more 9s meaning extra wounds).
And he is expected to achieve that using D6. That range from 0 to 5.
But, Barlimann, are you daft? How could he possibly do that, you dimwit?
Well, courageous readers that still are with me... read on!

Let's say Ares' 9 attack dice roll 0, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4 and 5
First of all, the 0 is a loss, can't do anything (barring powers ) so let's forget that one.
Then, in order to reach higher numbers, the game uses an explosion system. A maxed die will be rolled again, the second result of the roll being added to the first.

That means that, if i were to stop the phase here, i'd have a single 5 to be rerolled, which could range from 5 (+0) to 10. Also take in account that rerolled dice turning to 0 end up at 0 TOTAL, even the previous 5 is lost.

But that's not all!
To mitigate luck factor (and help reach high numbers like some Gods' 9 defenses ^^), you can also exclude any number of non 0 dices to turn them into "+1"s for another die.
in my above example, i could, for example, make my 1 and one of the 2s to "+1"s, and turn my 2 4s into 5s. And thus have THREE dice to reroll as "explosive".
I could even make my other 2 and a 3 into "+1"s, and make the other 3 into a fourth 5 if i wanted to.

But let's say i play it safe, because 9 is not that easy to reach.

So my tally is: three 5s (one "legit", two from renouncing dice to turn 4 into 5s), and a 2 and a three on the side. those have lost their value, and will just be availble as potential +1s for the reroll phase.

*rattle rattle*
boom! 3, 4, and huh... a 0.
That means that my three exploding dice turned into an 8, a 9, and a miss (you can't give +1s to 0s)
Which means a hit!
But wait! i still have my 2 dice on the side! that means i can turn my 8 into a second 9! Yay! Take that, Zeus! Enjoy your lower stats due to being wounded, ha! ...Sadly, the last +1 is lost, reaching 10 (or more) brings nothing to the table.

As a side note, and going further than my sample combat, Zeus could, if he felt like it, and since we're in melee combat, spend a Zeus Card to counterattack. or even spend an Art of War Card to get a Zeus Card from his deck (reshuffle) and Counterattack using the fetched card.

This pretty much covers the general rules.
I voluntarily skipped stuff like landscape, range combat, line of sight, higher ground... since they are either specific (ruins block line of sight and add 1 to melee def) or simple enough not to go in details in my already loooong post (ex, ranged attack use... attack value, and you need to be in range (stated on the unit's board) to fire at someone, with line of sight).

There's one last, but impactful thing.
Let's say the game lasts to the point where i draw the last card from my deck and still need to draw (or i can't draw period).
Then ALL players add their discards piles to their decks, shuffle them, AND draw three cards each (on top of my X "due" cards).
Yes, that means some players will have a zillion cards in their hands.
So bear that in mind, you hungry drawers

edited for typos, rephrasing and adding forgotten stuff
Feel free to mention any mistakes left, or ask questions you have i might have an answer to.
I'll repost this, info on the background of the game, AND gaming sessions in the "sessions" section, once what i typed is validated by BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merci. The dice mechansim is smart.

The Minis are awesome. But the game only offer a "versus mode" and is still about rolling dozens of dice. Can't say I'm in atm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
De rien

I agree with you... to a degree.
This IS a confrontation game. And Combat is resolved via dice.

Neither of these things are really my thing. I'm more a Euro-gamer, or cooperativ...ist(?)

But this game hooked me. Completely.

First, you have to draft. And counter-pick (or strengthen your strategy). These decision will have a huge impact on your game.
Do i focus on art of war cards for freedom of action, or plain monsters for sheer effectiveness? Or Both in cases like Heracles or Achille (for example)? Do i pick this troop now that synergizes so well with (whatever) or do i pick that beast that i love playing, risking to lose the other...

The mechanisms are smart and appealling. The fact that you have to manage your hand (more than that... your deck, because you can activate each unit only "number of activation cards in deck" times (unless you draw your pile completely, which can be a necessity... but is really dangerous)), the way to do it (do i burn lots of resources for a HUGE turn, but will be stripped naked fromp there on? Mmmmh, decisions...)
The placement's meaningfulness - again tied to n° of potential activations), the fact that Art of War provide so much freedom in the way you handle your game (from fetchig cards to using impressive powers, to counterattcking... sometimes BEFORE being attacked (^^) and more)
I really had a Blast playing that game. Each time (i have played 10ish games so far)

Also, the dice mechanism really enables to mitigate luck (to a degree of course... someone who only rolls blanks will have trouble winning via kill... but could still be victorious by assimilating Omphalos. Without ever throwing a single die).
Even better: if you're pretty unlucky, pick a (/some) unit with "projection" (not sure of the final english name) that'll enable you to make use of those 0s you're so good at rolling. Breaking up your enemy's placement, turning tides in YOUR favour.

Also, what i described is the basic setup of the game.
Let's open the box and spar. But the game will provide scenarios with predefined setups, different objectives, unique situations, campaign mode(s <- i hope for that S ^^) and more.

Oh, and of course, those incredibly fine looking PLASTIC minis.
Yes, this is the final product we can see here and there. And God(s) is it impressive, both in detail & size. I mean, no offense to a currently delivered product, but Conan's dragon is nowhere NEAR MBP's Hydra.
And you'll get SEVERAL huge minis in the BASE box (Minotaur, Cerberus... the gods, just to name some). Which probably means more as SG.

I really hope Mythic Games releases a print to play in the KS, because playing it is really, really convincing, even for non confrontontatonal players like myself.

It really goes waaaay beyond great minis and dice chucking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hestis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
poifpoif wrote:

The Minis are awesome. But the game only offer a "versus mode" and is still about rolling dozens of dice. Can't say I'm in atm.

They have said there will be a campaign mode. There will also be a crossover with the Conan boardgame, and an RPG coming out next year that could crossover like they did with Conan and the Modiphius Conan RPG.

And I agree, played at GenCon and loved the game. I also brought some friends who aren't board gamers to play, and they all had fun as well. A few are even planning on pledging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
Le 1er Novembre, ca va etre la fete du slip!

I predict the KS will be epic.

ps: if you want more info, BoW is doing a special this week-end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mention you speak only a little English, but I thought your English was fantastic and easy to read.

Thanks for the write-up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Drapalski
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for a very clear, concise summary of rules. I am very interested in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interested in this game as well... backed. I personally love dice based games. That's why I backed zombicide, conan, etc). Boardgames like blood rage which have card based combat with no dice are less exhilarating imo. This is because you lose chance, which can sway a battle. However, I started as a wargame and have moved to boardgames as I grew older and had kids (time, money, etc). The wargame in me means I need beautiful collectable minis, deadly combat, and dice!!

It's also nice to get detailed minis that I don't have to assemble (time, money, etc).

The rules look great. The maps look great, the minis look great. I am also a fan of the dials. It brings me back to my mage knight days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
But the game only offer a "versus mode" ...

That is not true. There are multiple game modes. Skirmish is the typical "versus mode". There are also scenarios, which can vary wildly (they said there will be fully cooperative scenarios as well, will be interesting to see how that works out). And there is at least one campaign, which links several scenarios together, where the outcome of one has impact on the next.

So it is not just a "versus mode" game.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Groesbeck
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
455_PWR wrote:
I am also a fan of the dials. It brings me back to my mage knight days

They did away with the dials and replaced them with dashboards with sliders on them. After watching the video of them playing, I think that was right choice. Ir seemed like every time a dial was picked up and flipped over, which was a lot since the special powers were on the back, the dial moved and had to be reset to where it was supposed to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
JamesG wrote:
455_PWR wrote:
I am also a fan of the dials. It brings me back to my mage knight days

They did away with the dials and replaced them with dashboards with sliders on them. After watching the video of them playing, I think that was right choice. Ir seemed like every time a dial was picked up and flipped over, which was a lot since the special powers were on the back, the dial moved and had to be reset to where it was supposed to be.

We ran more than 800 demoes of the game. Some people liked the dials, but a fair portion of them underlined the issues you mentioned. The dashboard solves both issues: the stat clips do not flip over and you do not need to flip the dashboard to see the Powers of your characters. In addition, you now know how the stats of the units evolve as they take damage.

At the end, dashboards are more comfortable to play with than the dials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
poifpoif wrote:

As I designed Mythic Battles, I really wanted to make something very tactical, with low impact of randomness. I think that dice is a convenient way to resolve combat and this is why I came up with this dice mechanism : there is randomness of dice rolling but players have a fair control over it.

I think this is a very important aspect of this game: it is all about making (the right) choice: you have limited resources (Art of War cards) that you have to manage, you decide upon the God and Units you draft to build combos, you may manage your cards and the dice…

I saw a couple of time (seasoned) players wining the game without rolling any dice thanks to the Omphalos victory condition…

I allow to make this point because when I designed Mythic Battles, I aimed at not doing "a roll dozens of dice" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

just trying to get the unit types sorted from the pure game mechanics side:

Titan = God -2RP for the draft?

Monster = Hero, just differences in their tendency to rely on brute force?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
msg tools
mbmbmb
You have a scenario mode allowing you to play this game in cooperative mode. And they are releasing different scenarios allowing you to play differently ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.