GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,742 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Item/spell limit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically it makes sense that you can have unlimited spells and items in your possession but the more I accumulate, the more powerful the characters become. Therefore, I feel like I must have missed a rule or two.

Can an investigator have unlimited spells and items?

Can you use any combination of items and spells in an encounter, combat etc. (as long as card text is meant for specific action)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wolf
msg tools
Yes, your investigators can hold any number of items and spell.

The only limit on using them (and this is important) is that you can only apply one (1) 'gain +X to skill' bonus. Bonuses that says 'gain +X' to a specific skill (or even all skills) do not stack. You only apply the largest bonus.

Other than that, you can use any attributes on a spell/item that apply to your situation (e.g. re-rolls, additional dice). You are only limited by the restrictions on the item/spell (e.g. once per turn)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hendrick Strauss
South Africa
flag msg tools
You can indeed have unlimited items and spells, however their effects don't all stack.

The reference guide covers this in section dealing with Tests;

A crude example. You have 5 items all giving various + X to strength. You can only apply the bonus from one of those items.

To expand on the above a little. Let's one of those cards in addition to granting you +X strength has a secondary effect, you may invoke that cards secondary effect - if allowed - and use another cards + X strength bonus.

Rule of thumb: Only a single +X direct strength bonus does apply.

So yes. While you CAN accumulate a lot of items and spells, generally you'll only use the strongest of the lot for tests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Reis
Brazil
Santos
SP
flag msg tools
If I have 3 items, one '+1 skill', one 'add 1 to 1 die', one 'reroll one die'.
Can I use all three items together in the same test (a combat for example)? Or I am limited to only one item?

Also, there is any kind of limit to use more than one spell in the same test/turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses. I get it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alucardeck wrote:
Can I use all three items together in the same test (a combat for example)? Or I am limited to only one item?
One "Gain +X" bonus. (The highest one.)
Everything else stacks.

alucardeck wrote:
Also, there is any kind of limit to use more than one spell in the same test/turn?
No special limit on spells.

Edit: Got rid of erroneous punctuation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pojopep wrote:
the more I accumulate, the more powerful the characters become.

Yes, exactly!
Which is why it is usually a good idea to acquire assets a lot especially in the early game. Easiest way to make your characters powerful.

As others mentioned, many bonuses (+X skill) don't stack, but others (e.g. rerolls, "additional dice") do stack. And there can be a lot of synergy, for example items that trigger when you rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually find it a little burdensome to have too much stuff. I constantly have to check my stuff. Do I get a bonus for researching a Clue? Am I Blessed? Do I have anything to let me re-roll a die? Under what circumstances? I keep forgetting about this Task! Oh, I could have stopped another player's Sanity loss!

Once you have 5 Spells, 3 Conditions, 3 Weapons, 4 Trinkets, and 2 Tasks, you start getting kind of confused.

It's kind of a relief if my Investigator has 1 Spell, 1 Weapon and 1 Condition. Ahhh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland D
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
alucardeck wrote:
One, highest, "Gain +X" bonus.
Everything else stacks.

Why just one out of these 3?
I thought just 'gain + ' is exclusiv ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azmodan wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
alucardeck wrote:
Everything else stacks.

Why just one out of these 3?
I thought just 'gain + ' is exclusiv ...

"One" in haroth9842's answer is modifying "bonus" (the commas are confusing and ungrammatical). "Everything else stacks" means that yes, you can use all your other items with their other advantages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland D
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great!
I understand now, thanks Emily
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
"One" in haroth9842's answer is modifying "bonus" (the commas are confusing and ungrammatical).
I usually try to avoid offtopics but this matter is very important to me.
So “One highest "Gain +X" bonus” would be correct? It reads unnatural to me.

What I meant was “One (highest) "Gain +X" bonus”. In sentences like this, I've been using commas as an equivalent of parentheses.
I thought it's a legitimate replacement.

Can someone shed some light on this? Punctuation has always been one of my weakest skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
"One" in haroth9842's answer is modifying "bonus" (the commas are confusing and ungrammatical).
I usually try to avoid offtopics but this matter is very important to me.
So “One highest "Gain +X" bonus” would be correct? It reads unnatural to me.

What I meant was “One (highest) "Gain +X" bonus”. In sentences like this, I've been using commas as an equivalent of parentheses.
I thought it's a legitimate replacement.

Can someone shed some light on this? Punctuation has always been one of my weakest skills.

It's not an easy case. One and highest are both adjectives, and it would be correct to say (if a bonus could have a width): Widest, highest "Gain +X" Bonus (I'm going to leave "Gain +X" out for a bit). However, "Highest" is dependent on "One", and One is acting very much like a definite article here - "The highest Bonus" means almost the same thing, while neither "Highest one Bonus" nor "Highest, one Bonus" make sense in English. That suggests the cumulative adjective rule, which means no comma.

The comma after highest is wrong no matter what, because "Gain +X" is not an adjective, it's a name. The only kind of Bonus we're looking at is the "Gain +X" Bonus, and we want the highest one of those.

I think the problem was Azmodan asking a multi-part question that could be partly answered with just a number, and your answer starting with a number that was not meant to be an answer to that part of the question. Putting a comma after One made it look like that was the first answer to the first question.

In trying to confirm my instincts (and come up with the formal name of the cumulative adjective rule, which I didn't know), I came upon an excellent little article:
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/commas-wi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland D
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even I wasn´t creator of the questions, yes, the comma separated answer(s) gave me the feeling of answering one question after the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.