Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Trading games in Germany aka "The Silent Treatment" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Backes
Germany
flag msg tools
I want to play my way through every soloable tile placement game there is!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My account is now 4 years old, but I only recently started being really "active" on BGG.

I discovered the BGG Trade Manager and I was excited about this feature, so I indexed my collection and proposed lots of trades to other people. I was really looking forward to clear out my collection and get something new for me to play with. But ... it did not work!

I live in Germany. So, to keep shipping costs low, I've tried to make deals mostly with other people also living in Germany.

I made a total of 22 trading proposals over the last few weeks, the first ones using only the "Propose a Trade" feature from the Trade Manager, but now I started sending GMs instead (after reading that people might consider it rude to be contacted directly via the official trade proposal feature ... ...).

Well...

Out of the 22, I traded successfully (strangely enough by only using the rude (... ...) "Propose a Trade" feature):
My copy of Colony for Onirim + Dungeon Petz
My copy of Caverna: The Cave Farmers + both shipping fees for Harbour + Merchants of Venus

I got friendly rejections (*) for:
My Bios: Genesis (like new) for Nations
My Bios: Genesis (like new) + Shipping fees for Burgle Bros.

And then I got absolutely NO feedback whatsoever for all of my other proposals (using the "Propose a Trade" feature or GM), for instance:

My Bios: Genesis (like new) + Rallyman(very good) + I pay all shipping fees for Leaving Earth
My Kashgar: Merchants of the Silk Road (like new) for Sylvion
My Mice and Mystics (very good cond.) for The Big Book of Madness
My Small World (still in shrink) for Quadropolis
My Seasons (very good cond.) for Le Havre
My Bios: Genesis (like new) for Archipelago
My The Palaces of Carrara (still in shrink) for Merchants & Marauders
My Mice and Mystics (very good cond.) for Grand Austria Hotel
My Rallyman (very good cond.) for Flash Point: Fire Rescue
My [...and so forth...]

(*) The rejections I got came from the only two guys I asked for trades outside of Germany (UK+Denmark).

And I get it, nobody wants to have Bios: Genesis, even if I would pay them ... and that's fine, but here are my questions:

- Is it common for Germans not to react to inquiries?
- Or is the same common in other countries as well? Maybe it was just a lucky coincidence that I've got instant reactions from Denmark and the UK?
- Or are these all such lousy deals that my offers didn't deserve anything better than a silent treatment?

PS: Before you ask: All the people I've contacted are frequently online and have been online afterwards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would trade with you if we had any matches!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
It is a world-wide phenomenom - this not responding to trade requests.

Also, what about math-trades in your area? Perhaps it is time to organize one, as it seems you have a bit to trade.

Good luck.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf
Germany
KY
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't give up, I'm sure there is a number of reasons why this doesn't work out for you...
As has been mentioned, a large number of people just don't reply to trade offers. If they are offended by what they consider a bad deal or if they just can't use the system or if they don't know they have been contacted, you will never know. Try not to worry and move on.

(There are lots and lots of threads about the site being somewhat hard to handle for people not familiar with html, especially all the amazing features users sometimes find out about years later, OTOH a lot of people don't like the Web 2.0 style of hammering unwanted info into users.)

Maybe try an auction.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Backes
Germany
flag msg tools
I want to play my way through every soloable tile placement game there is!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nodens wrote:
Don't give up, I'm sure there is a number of reasons why this doesn't work out for you...
As has been mentioned, a large number of people just don't reply to trade offers. If they are offended by what they consider a bad deal or if they just can't use the system or if they don't know they have been contacted, you will never know. Try not to worry and move on.

(There are lots and lots of threads about the site being somewhat hard to handle for people not familiar with html, especially all the amazing features users sometimes find out about years later, OTOH a lot of people don't like the Web 2.0 style of hammering unwanted info into users.)

That's a shame. Well, I will wait patiently for other people to discover my trade offers and then I will completely ignore their inquiries!

Nodens wrote:
Maybe try an auction.

Somehow I find the idea of trading much more appealing. And I'm not in a hurry to get rid of my games. I was just a bit puzzled and annoyed.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Backes
Germany
flag msg tools
I want to play my way through every soloable tile placement game there is!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
It is a world-wide phenomenom - this not responding to trade requests.

Also, what about math-trades in your area? Perhaps it is time to organize one, as it seems you have a bit to trade.

Good luck.

That might be a good idea. I just have to figure out what would be the best way to organize such a thing. I think I have some reading to do...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Winnefeld
Germany
Hannover
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not have to organize one yourself, there is a German Math Trade usually every two months or so

You can find the last regular one from August 2016 here to get a first impression of what is going on: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/213086/german-math-trade-...

Edit: Actually the last regular one so far should be this one:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/214022/german-math-trade-...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Backes
Germany
flag msg tools
I want to play my way through every soloable tile placement game there is!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gatekeeper86 wrote:
You do not have to organize one yourself, there is a German Math Trade usually every two months or so

You can find the last regular one from August 2016 here to get a first impression of what is going on: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/213086/german-math-trade-...


Oh, okay, that's cool! Then I'm very much looking forward to the next one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuparyk wrote:

- Is it common for Germans not to react to inquiries?
- Or is the same common in other countries as well? Maybe it was just a lucky coincidence that I've got instant reactions from Denmark and the UK?
- Or are these all such lousy deals that my offers didn't deserve anything better than a silent treatment?


Most people never respond to trade requests either way. It's a numbers game - I used to never offer the same game out more once, but now I offer it anywhere there seems to be an interesting trade, and I've never had one double-accepted...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Around 1/3 of my trade offers amount to nothing, and I always contact the person through geekmail first.

I also tend to offer what I think is slightly greater value on my end (in terms of BGG Marketplace, eBay prices) to add some incentive to complete a trade and that seems to help. Sometimes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I note too that the OP's trade feedback is "1", so I'd work on building up that number, perhaps by joining some local Math Trades and then "pestering" your trade partners (through geekmail) to offer feedback.

I'm a bit hesitant to offer trades if someone has a low feedback rating unless I know the person through another means (e.g. a gaming meetup, local convention).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While we are on this:
I am one of the people who is not very familiar with BGG functions outside the game pages, forum and geeklists.
How would I see when someone makes me a trade offer? (With the official function, not Geekmail -- I know how to see that.)

I'm pretty sure it hasn't happened, because I have nothing listed as "For Trade", so I assume people couldn't even make me an offer. I have once received a geekmail suggesting me to trade one of my favourite games, which I politely declined -- and if I received more in the future, I'd definitely at least answer the geekmail, even if I don't want the trade.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll refer you to an article I did awhile back about this: https://boardgamedialog.com/2011/06/09/a-guide-to-trading-ga...

It's not just a Germany thing. I do the same thing as you do with the direct messages. When it comes to trade proposals and to a lesser extent, proposals, a lot of people don't respond.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Backes
Germany
flag msg tools
I want to play my way through every soloable tile placement game there is!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
While we are on this:
I am one of the people who is not very familiar with BGG functions outside the game pages, forum and geeklists.
How would I see when someone makes me a trade offer? (With the official function, not Geekmail -- I know how to see that.)

It looks the same, you simply get a Geekmail with the subject "BGG Trade Proposal".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Backes
Germany
flag msg tools
I want to play my way through every soloable tile placement game there is!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
monstrooper wrote:
I note too that the OP's trade feedback is "1", so I'd work on building up that number, perhaps by joining some local Math Trades and then "pestering" your trade partners (through geekmail) to offer feedback.

I'm a bit hesitant to offer trades if someone has a low feedback rating unless I know the person through another means (e.g. a gaming meetup, local convention).

Yes, I'm trying to boost my score
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuparyk wrote:

And I get it, nobody wants to have Bios: Genesis, even if I would pay them ;)

While it's not on my wish list, I'd totally be up for a trade if I had something from your want list. ;)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Backes
Germany
flag msg tools
I want to play my way through every soloable tile placement game there is!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mike6423 wrote:
I'll refer you to an article I did awhile back about this: https://boardgamedialog.com/2011/06/09/a-guide-to-trading-ga...

It's not just a Germany thing. I do the same thing as you do with the direct messages. When it comes to trade proposals and to a lesser extent, proposals, a lot of people don't respond.


Your article is dead-on! And I second the recommendations you've made. A method to see if a proposal (or any other GM) has been read would be a great feature for BGG.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Backes
Germany
flag msg tools
I want to play my way through every soloable tile placement game there is!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
miruki wrote:
Cuparyk wrote:

And I get it, nobody wants to have Bios: Genesis, even if I would pay them

While it's not on my wish list, I'd totally be up for a trade if I had something from your want list.

Good to know that at least someone is interested in this game

I looked at your list, well, no, there is not really anything on it that I'm particularly interested in. But I see that you own Martians: A Story of Civilization. Send me a GM if you ever want to get rid of this
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
miruki wrote:
Cuparyk wrote:

And I get it, nobody wants to have Bios: Genesis, even if I would pay them

While it's not on my wish list, I'd totally be up for a trade if I had something from your want list.
I really want Bios: Genesis, I just don't have anything right now that I'd want or be able to trade for it (with most of my collection being in storage after a move abroad for a limited amount of time).
I am sure there are takers for it somewhere; probably a math trade would be a good way of finding them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.