Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excerpted from https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1611155/pre-ordered-and-rea...

Xapi wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:
Personally, I think joke names are just fine.
According to the blurb, "the world is starting to claw its way out of a dark age and has begun to rediscover seafaring technology".
Which, to me, implies that there could be a far future post-apocalyptic vibe.
We won't be sure until the Legacy story elements start to unfold.
Maybe I've just been looking forward to the Dark Tower movie for too long as well

But "Boaty McBoatface" could be misunderstood ancient lore from the World That Was, and perfectly respectful...

And so it was, in the age of Internet Democracy, whatever either of those words ment, that the vessel was to be named Boaty McBoatFace, as it was decreed by the virtous people of the Britanic Empire.

However, the tiranic members of the Queen's council, a Queen that had increased her lifespan through unspeakable means, burnt the wooden boxes that the people had put their votes on, and renamed the vessel with a name now lost to the tides of time. This action is widely considered by scholars to have caused the Brexit revolution, that ended all life in the island, or at least caused mild inconvenience to it's inhabitants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Boone
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I named my smaller ship Scooty Bird Junior and I love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the old British names for their ships like Indomitable, Dauntless, and Redoubtable.

So I named my ship the Unremarkable.

Then I mis-identified which ship i was naming and thought I was naming the Big Ship "Fat Tony." But then realized I actually named the small ship that, but it's fine. It's just like when you meet a 6.5 foot tall monster of a man named "tiny."

We also had an Island where there was tons of spice being produced, so naturally I named it Arrakis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My favorite is the Saucy Mare of course, but we have some good ship names in our group:

The Gates and the Buffet (of the Province R'lyeh)
The Penzance and the Enterprise (of the Province Leicester)
The Nick and the Nate (of the Province Arrakeen)
The Phoenix and the Ermine (of the Province Prenderthale)
The Saucy Mare and the SS Doyle (of the Province Mainframe)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing special but being a child of the 80's I named my large ship Echo-1 and my small ship DMC-12
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Haag
United States
Hamburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My province is Florin (I tried to get someone else in the group to name their province Guilder, but no luck) and my ships are The Sea Monkey (large) and The Obra Dinn (small).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary g
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SS Pinkie Pie
and
SS Apple Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaha, I also named my brig Boaty McBoatface as it's technically not a ship.

I named my ship the "UNSINKABLE TOUCH WOOD".

We've just finished the prologue, looking forward to the rest of the game, however long it takes to play....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
OutOfHabit wrote:
We have a boat named Boaty McBoatface.
What's your proudest boat name?

In my game with Aldie my ships are named "Vindication" and "Silence"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
My ships are the Pegasus and the Galactica.

Prologue spoilers:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
My province, which I didn't get around to naming until after the prologue, is the "Joel Robinson Memorial Province," named after their dearly departed leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dennard
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far only one of my ships has earned a name, and that's because it sank by rolling all blanks on 7 dice in a 3-strength endeavor. I named it Sinky McSinkface.

We also have an island of Arrakis, named for all the spice it produces.

One of our players has also been thoroughly enjoying naming his advisors after adult film stars...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Tryhard
msg tools
The Cudyll Gwyrdd.

A cudyll coch ("red falcon") is a kestrel, and an actual Welsh battleship from the 1890s was called the "Cydyll" (an archaic spelling of the same word)

So, Cudyll Gwyrdd ("green falcon" - I am the green province) implies an only slightly divergent parallel natural history and parallel military history.

My little one is the Gwalch y Penwaig -- "gwalch" is an osprey or sea eagle, and the Gweilch was also a battleship from the same line as the Cydyll, but a "gwalch y penwaig" is just a razorbill, which is a goofy-looking puffin-ish thing.

I RESEARCHED THESE NAMES I'M NOT TEARING UP MY F%#KING LEADER CARD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My ships are the Herring and the Haddock. My province is Wangland, as I believe that's what the UK will be called a little while after Brexit when Scotland and N Ireland go independant, and my province capital is Wangtown.

In the Prologue, luckily each of us (4P) got to namean island. I named one Mankini Atoll.

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My ships are named Boardsides and Gamesail of the province Boreas Fortuna.

In addition we have:

Da Funk and Lollipop of province Ruckus
Carlton and Lassitor of the province Hanna Barbera
Roach and Roache of the province Hyrule

I nipped the boaty mcboatface name in the bud early.

We also have an island which is all spice and a single wood. We named it Dune Atoll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I explored a new island. It had a "special power" on it that
if a ship is there in winter, it takes 2 damage. I was there with both of my ships, both of which got 2 damage that round. This was round 6 of the year.

So I named the island "Damn It!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridger wrote:
We also had an Island where there was tons of spice being produced, so naturally I named it Arrakis.

Given the implication that 'spice' is more of a drug than a culinary ingredient, we named our spice-heavy island Colombia.

...or at least that's what we intended; Columbia is not the same thing at all, is it?

OutOfHabit wrote:
Yesterday I explored a new island. It had a "special power" on it that
if a ship is there in winter, it takes 2 damage. I was there with both of my ships, both of which got 2 damage that round. This was round 6 of the year.

So I named the island "Damn It!"

I named that one Winterfell, so I'd never forget that Winter is Coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyone knows what kind of ships these are ? The naval terms for this type of ships ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osuniev wrote:
Anyone knows what kind of ships these are ? The naval terms for this type of ships ?

I'm not a naval expert, but the larger ship looks like an East Indiaman to me, and the smaller ship might be a fluyt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Sassycat wrote:
My ships are the Pegasus and the Galactica.

Prologue spoilers:
My province, which I didn't get around to naming until after the prologue, is the "Joel Robinson Memorial Province," named after their dearly departed leader.

One of our group is going with the BSG naming system too. His ships are Viper and Scar of the Galactica Province. Of course, we also have Adama (The Captain).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucus Trout
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akden wrote:
So far only one of my ships has earned a name, and that's because it sank by rolling all blanks on 7 dice in a 3-strength endeavor. I named it Sinky McSinkface.

We also have an island of Arrakis, named for all the spice it produces.

One of our players has also been thoroughly enjoying naming his advisors after adult film stars...

I based by entire province on Dune, naming it Caladan and my Leader Leto I, basically as if all the events were how Leto came to rule Caladan.

Just to spite me during the prologue as soon as one of the islands became able to produce 3 spice my buddy's wife named it...

Spice World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.