Hide
6 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Which expansion first? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris nelson
msg tools
I was wanting a recommendation on which expansions I should get first after playing with the base game and it's lieutenants for a while? Should I go in order or release or are there some that I should pickup first.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The big expansions (Labyrinth of Ruin and Shadow of Nerekhall) are the best bang for your buck, and of these two, Nerekhall is definitely the best. I'd go with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
It depends on what you want. The big boxes are best for general stuff. Are you playing for the whole game or just the app?

If you play with the App alone then a large part of the content in each box will go unused. Notably: Quests, Overlord cards, Travel cards, most of the Relics (Only five of them are in use by the app right now, that I know of)

If you play for the whole game every expansion offers something substantial. The Hero and Monster collections give you four new heroes and three new monsters plus a side quest that you can play from any campaign or as a one-shot.

The Lieutenant Packs give you a plastic figure to replace the lieutenant tokens and each comes with a unique Plot Deck that the overlord can use (the heroes get Fortune Tokens out of it, which are handy but this is definitely in favour of the overlord if they know what they're doing)

The first three Small Box expansions (Lair of the Wyrm, Manor of Ravens, Trollfens) each come with a smaller selection of what the big box expansions do. Heroes, hero classes, overlord class, new monsters.

The two more recent small box expansions (Mists of Bilehall, Chains that Rust) come with a lot more for the Overlord to play with than the heroes. Each has a full act worth of quests that you can play as one big campaign if you want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
My personal recommendations, for each:

Small Box:
I personally like Manor of Ravens the best for flavour. The monsters (Bandits, Wraiths) are unique and interesting to me. The heroes I have little experience with overall for most expansions. I also don't have Mists of Bilehall or Chains of Rust.

Hero and Monster expansion:
Aesthetically speaking, I like quite a few of these. The sculpts are mostly updates from first edition with more balanced stat lines/abilities on both sides than what was presented before (as determined by FFG's quality control department, and I agree with them so far). If you're an Overlord, then the Blood Apes from Stewards of the Secret will provide powerful support. Kobolds from Bonds of the Wild will overrun your heroes in a hurry if left unchecked.
On the hero side? Can't help you there. I've been overlord almost exclusively.

Big Box:
I've owned Labyrinth of Ruin longer, but I like Shadow of Nerekhall a LOT more for what it offers. Not just the monsters and heroes, but the campaign just seems so much more interesting to me.

Lieutenant Packs:
Most of these probably aren't worth the cost, unless you want to complete your collection. In which case, pick them up sooner than later.
My personal pick for Lieutenant Pack:
I like the Baron Zachareth plot deck because it manipulates the game at every turn. It doesn't care what kind of monsters you have on the field. You won't see his figure used very often unless you use the Summon Zachareth plot card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
I'd suggest looking at the descent wiki to see what you'd like. The big boxes give you the most stuff for the money. I don't really like the heroes in either box but LoR has a couple of excellent classes and the hero Logan who's decent. I like the monsters in SoN a little better and it's an awesome campaign.

*Shrug* you'll probably end up buying both eventually, in the mean time take a look get whatever you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to highlight: class decks are not in the Hero and Monster collections. You need box sets for those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.