Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks really interesting and well put together. But why in the world was the decision made to go from the excellent fantasy art style used in TEK & TED to a more "childish" cartoony art? I'm sorry - but this looks like a kids game.

I realize it won't play that way. But I honestly don't understand the decision to go with that art style in a game whose play and depth don't match the artwork. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
František Škoda

Šalgovce
Slovensko
msg tools
I think they were going for the feel of old fantasy questing games - namely Legend of Zelda. I really like it because it does feel like the world in which I was saving the world as Link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
NoBigDeal wrote:
I think they were going for the feel of old fantasy questing games - namely Legend of Zelda. I really like it because it does feel like the world in which I was saving the world as Link

Yup! I find it utterly appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I do share Rahdo's concern that the board is a bit busy, I really like the look of it and I think it captures the feel of game very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
NoBigDeal wrote:
I think they were going for the feel of old fantasy questing games - namely Legend of Zelda.
Yup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aron craig
United States
Cumming
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed.. it's mostly based on the classic era Zelda look with a just a bit of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy thrown into the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:
The game looks really interesting and well put together. But why in the world was the decision made to go from the excellent fantasy art style used in TEK & TED to a more "childish" cartoony art? I'm sorry - but this looks like a kids game.

I realize it won't play that way. But I honestly don't understand the decision to go with that art style in a game whose play and depth don't match the artwork. soblue

Your taste and your choice mate. I, personally, could MARRY that artwork <3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:
[...]

Your taste and your choice mate. I, personally, could MARRY that artwork <3

Agreed.
I, for example, could marry Christmas (in a couple of months).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Herodier
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More childish, sure, but you've got to admit its head and shoulders above in actual quality.

I mean,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
I HATED the art in TEK. I actually did not back it because of it. Later bought at retail. But the art was off-putting to me.

This being more anime/Zelda is fine; imo. And I think you will find more people wanted this style for the supposed "old school rpg"-feel than those who are against it.

If you want proof, start a poll here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Herodier
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knuckles29 wrote:
I HATED the art in TEK. I actually did not back it because of it. Later bought at retail. But the art was off-putting to me.

I still haven't bought because of it :|
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh S
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
Ditto both of the above. The TEQ artwork is a HUGE improvement IMHO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shirezu
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with almost everyone else here, I think it fits the theme well and am looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's the best looking Tiny Epic game yet. The artwork is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Velleman
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
NoBigDeal wrote:

Yup! I find it utterly appropriate.

Same here. And for my part, I think the earlyer "fantasy style" artwork of the previous games was serviceable, at best. I still enjoy them, though, so art is not the be all and end all of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

― C.S. Lewis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the artwork, but I also liked the artwork in TEK. Maybe I am just easy to please. The only thing that worries me is that seeing all the board tiles in position makes everything look/feel cluttered and I worry if it will be AP inducing. Need to watch Rhados video and do the PNP to be sure. I hope it is not though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it is more than just good art. The visual design and layout is top notch too. Tiny Epic Western had cool art, but this is the most beautiful looking Tiny Epic to date. It feels like something CMON would have done, but is still meeples and cool custom wooden markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the artwork but find it hard to separate one card from another (judging solely from Rahdo's videos).

Is it possible for GG to add some kind of border on each card? Maybe a bit darker colour on the border?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NoBigDeal wrote:

Perhaps this explains it. Zelda wasn't my "thing" either. I guess if the Zelda video game players are the target audience for them, that's cool.

I guess artwork is a matter of taste - and clearly mine differs from most on this topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was sold the minute I saw the art style. Watching the gameplay videos and reading through the KS page felt almost like a formality. Still, I wouldn't have backed the game if the gameplay was bad. Happy to see that it looks awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg, I'm glad people were able to disagree with you respectfully.

Personally, I love Zelda and I liked this art style too. But I disagree with the user above who said it had the best art in the Tiny Epic lineup. I love the art for Tiny Epic Western. I think it looks great.

Art is certainly one of those things that's open to interpretation and subject to personal opinion and tastes. I think that's one of the reasons why it's sometimes exciting when the rights to a game change hands and a remake is made. Sometimes I like the new art better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guro Bjerkan
Norway
FLAKTVEIT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:

What's wrong with gorgeous and colourful? I don't get it. Personally I think this is the best looking tiny epic game so far, like others have said it gives off that Legend of Zelda vibe, which is one of my favourite video game series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like everything but the characters. Especially the glassy-eyed blonde girl... She makes my skin crawl. Luckily I don't really have to look at her during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the artwork of TEQ a lot. I also liked TEG and Western. At the same time the illustrations of the Kingdom games didn't attract me at all. I am very happy with what I see in this current campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.