$35.00
Daniel Solis
United States
Durham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been self-publishing some small card games on DriveThruCards for a little over three years now. The service and print quality are consistently really good, but the one thing I've missed is some kind of branded packaging. You've always been able to add on a plastic deckbox to an order, but it doesn't have the same shelf presence as a proper box.

Thankfully they're finally ready to show off these new tuckboxes they've been engineering all these months. These are unusual boxes with some features I don't think I've seen in any other tuckbox on the market. Photos and details below:

First off, the print quality is great as always. The print is smooth, the colors are vibrant, and the consistency is top notch. I can forgive the scratches along the edges here. I've been putting these boxes through their paces while traveling and they held up really well so far.

When you take a closer look, you notice this seam along the edges of one of the panels. This is because these boxes use no glue in their construction. They're entirely secured with folds and flaps, like origami. This has the additional benefit of making the box very sturdy because some sides are as thick as three layers of card stock.

When you open the box, you'll see the deck of cards you ordered without the usual order # card or cellophane band that comes with no-box or plastic box decks.

The rear hinge of the top lid needs a crease here to open properly, which is why I designed the back of my box to be on this panel. I set up the info bar to be just above that crease so it looks more intentional. I also made sure not to put any important text along this crease.

Unlike typical tuckboxes, there's no bottom flap sticking up, pushing against the cards. It makes returning the cards to the box an easy breeze.

This big interior flap is the key to the whole box's construction. That flap sticking into the side a bit creates a gentle pressure against the deck keeping it nice and snug.

I think I'm still the guinea pig for low-volume orders of tuckboxes, but they'll be available for all creators very soon (if not already). These boxes add $2 to an order, but they're entirely optional. When you're in the checkout page, just select the third option for the item. I'm very curious to see the sales numbers in a few weeks to see how many people opted for a plain deck or including a box.

Hope you all found this useful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Larchenko
Russia
Ivanteevka
Moscow region
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Life time of such tuckboxes is very short.

It would be better if they used no glue telescoping paper boxes, like me:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pard wrote:
Life time of such tuckboxes is very short.

It would be better if they used no glue telescoping paper boxes, like me:

I made one of your paper boxes and immediately tossed it out - incredibly unstable. I sincerely hope you were joking about the lifetime of a tuckbox if you are comparing it to how these paper boxes last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Huber Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hi-diddly-ho, neighborino!
badge
"I'll have a Shirley... No, a virgin... No, a children's... Oh, what the heck? You only live once. Give me a white wine spritzer! "
mbmbmbmbmb
$2 extra seems like a small increase for a nice looking tuckbox! The interior flap is a great idea, and the lack of the bottom flap inside the tuckbox is nice to hear. There are always those couple of cards that get stuck...

I have a couple sets of cards from them (After Pablo and Carolina Death Crawl Deck, and soon I'll be a proud owner of Up Front thanks to the crew there) and I've been pleased with the quality.

Thanks for the pictures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Larchenko
Russia
Ivanteevka
Moscow region
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
I sincerely hope you were joking about the lifetime of a tuckbox if you are comparing it to how these paper boxes last.

Telescoping box uses 2 paper sheets (tuckbox - only 1) and everywhere has 2-4 times thicker walls. It hasn't bending parts (which tear off) also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pard wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
I sincerely hope you were joking about the lifetime of a tuckbox if you are comparing it to how these paper boxes last.

Telescoping box uses 2 paper sheets (tuckbox - only 1) and everywhere has 2-4 times thicker walls. It hasn't bending parts (which tear off) also.

These are quite clearly not paper tuckboxes though. They are definitely thicker - look to be as thick as a standard retail tuck box at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.