Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A co-worker of mine has been very nice and has let me borrow her complete collection of Game of Thrones so I can catch up.

I want to give her a gift bag to show my thanks. I'll be giving her a gift card to my wife's favorite vegetarian restaurant in town (she's a vegetarian), but also want to include a small game...because I like to force my hobbies on others.

I'm looking for a game that plays well as a two player game, less than $20-ish, is easy enough to be quickly understood by non game enthusiasts, but also is a good example of the hobby.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan S.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
For a strictly 2 player that fits the description, I'd go with Jaipur or Lost Cities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tides of Time I think its the most attractive cheap 2 player game out there that should easy on new gamers. Hive would be my 2nd suggestion but both players should have some (or at least the same level of) abstract affinity .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios...

GAME OVER!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios and Agricola All Creatures Big and Small have very little chance of appealing to non gamers.

Lost Cities and Jaipur are decent suggestions.

But I would throw in Sushi Go!. You can find that at Target for around $10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Game of Thrones card game - not the LCG but the 2 player HBO one, would seem appropriate?

Game of Thrones: The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Genechten
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork maybe? U fun 2 player puzzle which plays rather fast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wavretzio wrote:
A Game of Thrones card game - not the LCG but the 2 player HBO one, would seem appropriate?

That is really not easy... I second Tides of Time. Biblios and Jaipur good as well but less immediate to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Jaipur is good. I also suggest Coloretto, which plays surprisingly well with 2 but can also add more players, and is extremely simple to explain and play. I think it's around $10.

One thing to consider about Sushi Go is that if she's a hardcore vegetarian for ethical reasons, a game that is about eating things like raw fish might not appeal (EDIT: though you might say the same thing about the leather in Jaipur too!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities is good and easy.
Jaipur is equally good and is easy but less so.
Battleline is better and still easy but a tad less so.
Patchwork is also better but even less easy than Battleline.

I think that you could give her Lost Cities or Battleline and she could easily read the rules and play the game with little frustration. To an uninterested uninitiated party Jaipur and Patchwork could be frustrating to learn without a teacher.

I loathed Biblios so can't imagine why newbies would dig it but am totally biased.

Agricola ACB&S is a very good game but is at least medium weight and not a gateway at all IMHO.

~Redward

PS Onitama could be good if you think she would be down for an abstract style game. It is beautiful as well so the aesthetic could really work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Flower
United States
San Francisco Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something that scales up would allow her to share this amazing game, given to her by her brilliant co-worker, with more people and thus bring more gamers into the fold.

Bananagrams is easy and fast and would look cute tucked into a gift bag. Simultaneous scrabble, it's such an eye-opener to people who only know "old" Scrabble that they often come back eager to know what other "new" games are out there.

Fill or Bust is Farkle with a twist. It takes the familiar dice-roller and adds a deck of challenge cards for another level of push-your-luck temptation. It will also fit in a gift bag.

Qwirkle is an SdJ winner so it has gamer's cred. It's a fun, colorful and visually appealing abstract.

These are all available on Amazon for under 20.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
Jaipur is good. I also suggest Coloretto, which plays surprisingly well with 2 but can also add more players, and is extremely simple to explain and play. I think it's around $10.

One thing to consider about Sushi Go is that if she's a hardcore vegetarian for ethical reasons, a game that is about eating things like raw fish might not appeal (EDIT: though you might say the same thing about the leather in Jaipur too!)

I think Coloretto is a good option. It can be played with two players but also more if they if they have company over. I would go out of your way to anniversary edition with the much (much much much) better art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
Scattle - Knock Knock.mp3
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jaipur

E Game for 2, very easy rules, low price, small box, language-independent, great components, short playtime. The cardboard tokens are even already punched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Ron
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
I'd go with Jaipur.

A fun, light, simple game with a lot of replay value for gamers and non-gamers alike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with others here, definitely Lost Cities or Jaipur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to stick to the Game of Thrones theme you could give Game of Thrones: Westeros Intrigue. It's really shallow though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good advice everyone. I'm leaning towards Jaipur for a strictly 2 player game or Sushi Go for a second option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Biblios and Agricola All Creatures Big and Small have very little chance of appealing to non gamers.

Lost Cities and Jaipur are decent suggestions.

But I would throw in Sushi Go!. You can find that at Target for around $10.

I have given Biblios as a gift three times, each time was to non-gamers. All of them LOVE the game. Never played Biblios with anyone that didn't really like the game when it was done.

Alternatively, I had a very intelligent family member pick up my copy of Lost Cities from the seller and they had the game at their house for over a month and didn't bother playing it because they couldn't get past the rule book. That family member owns and loves Biblios, which was a gift from me.

But who am I to talk?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.