Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
at the beginning of every generation draw a card:
number 1-70 : decrease 02 one rank
71-140 : decrease T° one rank
141-208 : remove a ocean (randomly choosed)

ok, it will lenghthen the game, but the idea of the planet resisting the terraformation is seductive :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is thematically appealing, and by end game production is pretty high so the few steps back won't add much time to the game - I'd guess typically one, maybe two generations.

For a 7 generation game (5 players can do that) it would subtract 6 stops, likely no more than 3 from a single parameter. With late game play that's not much to overcome.

This comes with some complexity. Would the bonus boosts (free heat production and ocean from temperature rise, free temperature rise from O2) get repeated? If so, a player could really leverage that by collecting it two turns in a row, which is a bit too much. From a physical standpoint the effect causing the bonus should only be paid out once anyway.

I would think that played cards with related requirements would not be destroyed or made unavailable since that is the rule for cards with "max" requirements now. The physics are marginal in either case, but for game play purposes the rule keeps things more simple.

The ~1/3 possibility of a card with a max requirement that was just exceeded could become playable is kind of fun.

When adding something new, it is good to ask how it improves the game or the experience of playing. I'm not sold on such a rule adding to game play, but the thematic drama is appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.