No Trumpets No Drums» Forums » Rules

Subject: Strategic bombing and inverted units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michel D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is strategic bombing possible against inverted units?

I think the answer is probably "yes" but I'm not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Leto597 wrote:
Is strategic bombing possible against inverted units?

I think the answer is probably "yes" but I'm not sure.

If inverted units could not be bombed, I don't think the game would work, nor would it reflect history. I can't find a specific rules reference to back this up, but I'm sure your gut instinct is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Edward. I also think it would not work without this. About history, I don't know the conflict enough (but I'll read soon the book of John Prado about it).
After reading the rules twice, the game is finaly on the table (and it looks great). I'll probably have a few questions rising again...
The map is great, counters too but the player aids are very short in informations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Leto597 wrote:
Thank you Edward. I also think it would not work without this. About history, I don't know the conflict enough (but I'll read soon the book of John Prado about it).
After reading the rules twice, the game is finaly on the table (and it looks great). I'll probably have a few questions rising again...
The map is great, counters too but the player aids are very short in informations.

I should warn you that the Prados book is extremely biased. When reading it, remember that Mr. Prados leans far to the left in his political views. He also seems to have a personal vendetta against President Nixon and his administration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see that. In fact I tried to read it months ago. And, it spent a lot of time talking about the anti war demonstrations (which is important but...I didn't expect to find that at the begining of the book). The first chapter if I remember well was about some veterans associations against the war. I read about 250 pages and...there was very little about the operations. I would not say it's a bad book, there were very interesting points. But I would have liked a book describing more the operations. Maybe it does later in the book (about 800 pages). I didn't give up with it, just decided to read it later.

Do you have any recommandation for a book about this conflict?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Leto597 wrote:

Do you have any recommandation for a book about this conflict?

Sorry, but no I don't. That's the only general history of the conflict I've ever read. I have read books covering individual battles or campaigns of the war, of which there are many good examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Young
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Stanley Karnow Vietnam book is excellent. But it's a beast. He was a reporter there at the time and gives a good perspective of the American side of the conflict.

To Edward's point there are books that do an excellent job of zooming into specific campaigns or portions of the conflict like Pleiku or Fire in the Streets.

I would also recommend A Vietcong Memoir for a broad overview of the VC perspective (from one man's point of view) which is heartbreaking in many ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Jason for the Amazon links.
Thank you also for the different point of view books.
I just hope that there is a translation French of the first one if it's a beast that big
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, the book ok Karnow has been translated . It's in my list. Thank you again. I didn't know about that book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Young
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leto597 wrote:
Great, the book ok Karnow has been translated . It's in my list. Thank you again. I didn't know about that book.
It's comprehensive, and well written, but definitely has a red, white and blue filter over the writing. It's still worth reading for that overview of the conflict, and it's complete and less political than Fire in the Lake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Geryk
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to break the thread (yes, you can bomb inverted units) but there are several good books about the Vietnam War. Two I would suggest are
America in Vietnam, by Guenther Lewy. The first really balanced account of the war. Came out in 1980 or so but is still very relevant. Recognized as one of the important works of history regarding the game.
Triumph Forsaken, by Mark Moyar. It's actually an account of the beginning of the war, but answers a lot of questions about the background of the US involvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.