Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R Hilton
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone on Consimworld once asked why in August 1914 a Russian unit (presumably the one starting in Warsaw) couldn't march into Berlin (assuming the German player had not moved a unit into Posnania beforehand). Someone replied that doing so would mean the unit would be moving out of supply, which is prohibited by rule 11.4.

I guess I don't understand the supply and control rules well enough to see why such a move would mean the Russian unit is moving out of supply. The supply and control rules are not all that extensive, so I must be missing something fairly obvious.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
The supply and control rules are not all that extensive, so I must be missing something fairly obvious.

I think I must be as well as I can't see anything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Hilton
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I think I understand now.

To answer my own question,
Rule 11.4 holds that no unit may ever deliberately move out of supply.

And Rules 11.2 and 11.5, which outline when a unit is considered in supply and LOS mechanics, together state that a LOS may only go back to a controlled area of a unit's National Territory through other controlled areas, but with the important proviso that a unit is always in supply as long as it is adjacent to an area in which there are friendly units in supply (regardless of control status or the presence of enemy units).

However, Rule 4 states that "For purposes of supply, Control is determined during the Supply segment only."

So on Game Turn 1, the Russian unit in Warsaw could not move to Brandenburg (via Posnania, or any other path for that matter), because the move out of Posnania into Brandenburg means that its LOS would have to be traced back to a Russian contolled area of its own National Territory via Posnania, and Posnania remains under German control until the Russian Supply segment. Thus, no can do.

Interestingly, suppose there were two Russian units in Warsaw (e.g., 2 corps instead of an army). One unit could move into Posnania and remain there, which would then allow the second unit to move into Brandenburg and be in supply, because a unit in Brandenburg would now be adjacent to a friendly unit in supply (i.e., the unit that remained in Posnania).

Anyway, I think that is how it works.

Looks like that guy on Consimworld really knew what he was talking about (not that I ever had any doubt).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.