Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a lot of ideas when it comes to card games and my latest idea requires players to shuffle their decks together.

Would this be feasible or would sorting through 40 cards to return them to their owners be overly annoying?

Just seen that a similar question has literally just been asked on another forum. Feel free to close this if it offers no extra discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:
I have a lot of ideas when it comes to card games and my latest idea requires players to shuffle their decks together.

Would this be feasible or would sorting through 40 cards to return them to their owners be overly annoying?

If they were clearly marked on all 4 corners, or 2 diagonal corners, which player they belonged to, not annoying at all.

If you have to sort out cards just knowing that there are 4 of this, 3 of that, one of this, then very annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another method might be to keep all the players' decks separate, and use a randomizer to determine whose deck gets drawn from next. The randomizer could be a die, or if the number of cards in each player's deck is important, proxy cards representing each player, with each player's number of proxy cards in the common deck being equal to the number of cards in their own deck. When the proxy card for a given player is drawn from the common deck, the top card in that player's deck is then chosen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my game it is important that players do not know who owns the card whilst drawing.

Would transparent covers or sleeves be a good method, or could that cause more issues Shuffling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you are saying that whose cards they were should be unknown? Then how do players reclaim their cards without revealing whose are whose?

I am not sure what transparent covers does to change any of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:
For my game it is important that players do not know who owns the card whilst drawing.

Would transparent covers or sleeves be a good method, or could that cause more issues Shuffling?

Sleeves generally should not be a required game component. Some people love 'em some people hate 'em. Also, you must mean opaque sleeves, as transparent sleeves wouldn't hide anything. The issue with the sleeves though, is that you would have to slide the card out to see which player it belonged to. Much more annoying than anything else.

But really, a simple mark/symbol/color on each corner is super easy to sort out. Especially if you are only talking 40 total cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:

Is it only important before they draw, or also after they draw?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drdranetz wrote:
So you are saying that whose cards they were should be unknown? Then how do players reclaim their cards without revealing whose are whose?

I mean unknown during the drawing phase, it doesn't matter after they draw.

darthnice wrote:
kirkatronics wrote:

Sleeves generally should not be a required game component. Some people love 'em some people hate 'em. Also, you must mean opaque sleeves, as transparent sleeves wouldn't hide anything. The issue with the sleeves though, is that you would have to slide the card out to see which player it belonged to. Much more annoying than anything else.

But really, a simple mark/symbol/color on each corner is super easy to sort out. Especially if you are only talking 40 total cards.

I meant transparent so you can have some sort of mark without damaging the cards.

darthnice wrote:
kirkatronics wrote:

yes, only during the drawing phase. After they have drawn it doesn't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I am overthinking this, but is this for a single boxed game where players have their own "decks" (that can be marked with colors or other distinguishable patterns on the cards), or are we talking about say a collectible game where players bring their own cards to play?

This would be helpful to know if the cards can be marked at the printing step or if it needs to be done afterwards by the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give the cards different colored backs and draw from the middle of the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
Sleeves generally should not be a required game component.

Tearing up cards shouldn't be a required, either, but it's there.

Anyway, Mystic Vale requires card sleeves, and, at this point of the game design, a designer shouldn't worry about what components they need for the game. By the time the game is finished, sleeves might not even be necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a collectible game, or a stand alone?

Because in Rokoko or Lewis & Clark you don't have this mechanic, but you can permanently trash your starting cards along with any others you hire during the game to thin your deck, and the starting cards have an icon in the front with the corresponding player color to sort them out of the discard pile and return them to their original owners at the end of the game, and it's not a big deal. Just put a small red icon on all the cards fom player one's deck, a yellow one on player two, and so on, they will have identical backs for the drawing phase, buy you'd know who they belog to later during the game or when you need to sort them out.

Now, if it's a collectible game or you can build your own custom deck and you cannot assign a specific color and deck to each of the players, that's a bigger problem. You'll need custom sleeves with identical backs and the player icon or color on the front, but it'd be a hassle to sleeve and unsleeve all the cards for each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:

Smash Up requires each player to shuffle two different decks of cards together to form their deck for the game, and then sort them back out at the end of the game.
Legendary requires players to shuffle up to 10 different sets of cards together for the villain supply deck and up to 8 different sets of cards together for the hero supply deck. At the end of the game the cards in each of those decks will be spread out among each of the players decks and/or victory piles, still in their respective decks, or in KO/escape piles. Additional cards, including starting deck cards, Sidekicks, S.H.I.E.L.D. Officers, and Wounds, may also be mixed in to player decks. All of these need to be sorted back to their original sets at the end of each game.
While the Legendary games do get knocked for their set up and tear down time, it is still generally well liked - including being one of my most played games (not that I've been diligent in recording plays mind you).
In fact every deck-builder has each player starting with starter deck cards and must sort out and put back the cards they acquired for their deck during the game.

Can you explain how your game would be different or more difficult to accomplish this than deck-builders?

kirkatronics wrote:

You will find mixed preferences with regards to shuffling sleeved cards. Some hate it, others, like me, generally prefer shuffling sleeved cards. If, if sleeved cards is the best design solution, then you likely should not worry about this.

kirkatronics wrote:
drdranetz wrote:

I mean unknown during the drawing phase, it doesn't matter after they draw.

I meant transparent so you can have some sort of mark without damaging the cards.
Why would opaque backed sleeves not provide the same benefit. Is there a specific reason that players will need to see the back of the cards? All of these cards will have the same back, won't they?

kirkatronics wrote:
darthnice wrote:
kirkatronics wrote:

yes, only during the drawing phase. After they have drawn it doesn't matter.
Again, I do not understand why opaque backed sleeves could not be used.

Is there some possibility that each player's decks could contain copies of the same cards? Or would similar cards still be differentiated by art or graphic design/faction icon?

If card backs are the same and cards from different decks are easily differentiated (by art, graphic design, and/or faction iconography), then I wouldn't think that you would need sleeves and players should just be able to sort out the cards at the end of a game.
If card backs are the same and cards from different decks are not easily differentiated, then you would likely need to incorporate sleeves into the design (opaque or transparent - funding and options from production houses would likely be the biggest decider here).
If card backs are not the same, I would first urge you to strongly reconsider this design to see if you can make all the card backs the same. If for some reason it is necessary to have different card backs for each players deck, you would likely need to use opaque backed card sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.