The Edge: Dawnfall» Forums » General

Subject: Overpriced for a game where battles have you chucking dice. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Congrats on the Kickstarter money guys, I mean, wow, some people really are suckers for minis, huh. And so am I, usually...

But, really, I was like, yay, a Michal Oracz game! I LOVE Neuroshima Hex! But then I saw the incredible amount of figures and the incredible prices.

Looked at the gameplay video... ok, no. I will not pay that much money for dice chucking. Yes, yes, it's a little deeper than that, but still. It's almost like it's just an overpriced Heroscape/Arena of the Planeswalkers!

Too much is like not enough, right? So much emphasis is put on figures that it'll just be a miniature-miniature show.
-Hey guys, look at my super cool game! Isn't it grand?
-Nice! How does it play?
-[explains rules]
-That's it? And you payed how much for this??

:/
Too bad. Back to Cry Havoc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson

Athens
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll wait to have AR explain more about the game, but the game appears to be more than just everybody run to the center and then have combat. In that, there are other considerations like board position, area control, and resource management. All of these mechanics are streamlined (like combat), but I think that's the point -- simple mechanics that, taken together, create important tactical decisions. Also, combat is modified by decisions of when to shift and when to play action cards.

Again, I'll have to wait until AR gives us some more information, but it seems a bit too early to dismiss this as just a dice chucking game. Also, have some faith in Michal Oracz... the man has earned a nod of confidence at this point in his career!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't agree more, really was hoping for more gameplay, or something original since the minis, board and components look fantastic. They could've actually used the rules for neuroshima hex and expanded on those to make this a very strategic game rather then a glorified Heroscape.

GoldSirius wrote:
Congrats on the Kickstarter money guys, I mean, wow, some people really are suckers for minis, huh. And so am I, usually...

But, really, I was like, yay, a Michal Oracz game! I LOVE Neuroshima Hex! But then I saw the incredible amount of figures and the incredible prices.

Looked at the gameplay video... ok, no. I will not pay that much money for dice chucking. Yes, yes, it's a little deeper than that, but still. It's almost like it's just an overpriced Heroscape/Arena of the Planeswalkers!

Too much is like not enough, right? So much emphasis is put on figures that it'll just be a miniature-miniature show.
-Hey guys, look at my super cool game! Isn't it grand?
-Nice! How does it play?
-[explains rules]
-That's it? And you payed how much for this??

:/
Too bad. Back to Cry Havoc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoldSirius wrote:

I agree. I looked at this and came to a similar conclusion as several posted here. Awesome looking miniatures, graphics and story....then watched the game play video and simply said "oh...this again"

Roll a die, add/subtract modifiers...rinse...repeat. Too bad too - looks really well done, visually. Oh well.

Hope I win the BGG contest though - will likely fetch a lot in the G4GG lotteries!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Aronis
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Looks cheaper than Warhammer. I guess it has that going for it ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's a copy of Case Blue go for these days?

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I S
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What a shame... I liked Oracz games because most did not use dice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian giese
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it was just a random die vs a random die I could accept dice being too much, but it looks like there are modifies based on attack/def and Inititive is important. Not to mention mana and cards to effect things. PLus unique abilities and board position matters.

Maybe I play to many minis games, but I don't see a dice roll being bad when you factor in 4 to 6 other elements to that dice roll.

sidenote. I'm not sure if I'm going to back this, but it looks tempting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gringe Commander
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
$185 for 95 32mm scale minis (including 7 90mm size, and not counting the paperstuff and terrain minis) is overpriced??

GW charges $250 for 21 25mm marines, 2 tanks, a droppod and flyer. And that not even enough to play, since you need at least an opponent army. In the Warchest you get 7 playable armies and lots of szenarios and variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petteri Heino
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GoldSirius wrote:

Looked at the gameplay video... ok, no. I will not pay that much money for dice chucking.

So what's the point?

You don't have to buy it if you don't like it.

But understand that there are others who might like it and not only because the game have beautiful miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GringeCommander wrote:
$185 for 95 32mm scale minis (including 7 90mm size, and not counting the paperstuff and terrain minis) is overpriced??

GW charges $250 for 21 25mm marines, 2 tanks, a droppod and flyer. And that not even enough to play, since you need at least an opponent army. In the Warchest you get 7 playable armies and lots of szenarios and variants.

Pledge levels were different when this was posted. Many of the stretch goals weren't even listed, let alone unlocked. You're jumping onto this thread long after the value balanced out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B

Virginia
msg tools
I must admit, I was drawn to backing this for the models. And I know I do not need more models after over a dozen busy years in Warhammer.
However, I passed on some games that I though were just model grabs for me (namely: Massive Darkness, Deep Madness), so I thought I'd give myself a little secret satisfaction.
I do have faith the the game maker might actually pull it off and make a good game (and if it's a reissue of Planeswalkers - I like that too).
AR seems to really be onto something. I also am waiting for This War of Mine.
Anyway, it's ok to buy a game for the minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.