10 Posts

Conan» Forums » General

Subject: Barbarian Pledge vs King Pledge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks to me like most people paid extra to get the King Pledge. And I'm really curious if someone who got the Barbarian Pledge can chime in here. I'd really understand some of the differences.

1st Question: How does the box look? I ask because during the kickstarter, the description for the KING pledge is that it is a DELUXE BOX that will ONLY be available during the kickstarter campaign. I'm confused by this because during all the unboxing videos I've seen, (preview copies I think, they've sent to various board game reviewers) their box looks identical to my box, which is a King Pledge and it's supposed to be a special deluxe box - but it seems exactly the same.

2nd Question: How did you receive your stretch goals? I ask this, because I'm guessing that there actually is no deluxe game box for the King Pledge... I suspect that the only deluxe box is the box that our stretch goals came in. So if this second box is the true "King pledge deluxe box", then what about the barbarian pledge folks? Did they simply get loose miniatures in a bag or something?

3rd Question: If they simply lied about a deluxe box for the King Pledge... and it turns out everyone got both boxes and everyone's boxes are identical.... Are the only differences in the King Pledge those few extras labeled "Exclusive King Content", which is basically just 7 extra items and a few extra dice? Is that actually worth bumping up a pledge from $90 up to $135? That's an extra 50% pledge for like 1% extra content?

I've known all long which miniatures were exclusive to the King Pledge, but I was hoping to have a deluxe game box - and now I'm really wondering if everyone got the same box as me. Feels a little bit like false advertising if that is the case. Just really confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the "deluxe box" description referred to the contents and not the outside.

there was the collectors box upgrade stretch goal, which basically did the move from sack of goodies to box of goodies - that was pledge level independent if I remember correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asgorn wrote:
I think the "deluxe box" description referred to the contents and not the outside.

there was the collectors box upgrade stretch goal, which basically did the move from sack of goodies to box of goodies - that was pledge level independent if I remember correctly.

This is pretty much what I suspect - and why I'd love confirmation from someone with a Barbarian Pledge. I'll admit that this was a game I pledged and pretty much ignored until now, so I'm unaware of many finer points, but one thing I've kinda been expecting all along was to get a fancy box that was exclusive for the King Pledge and that would look different from retail.
Oh well it's a cool looking game regardless. Gonna try to play it this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Groesbeck
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The back of the Barbarian box pictures the minis included and the back of the King box does not. There may be other differences, I don't know. But I've seen the mini picture difference confirmed here on forum.

And with King you get 1 Monster mini, 4 Hero minis (2 with an animal ally), 2 sets of Mummy minis, and 3 sets of Skeleton minis. Plus the tiles and extra dice.

Since the lowest priced mini or mini set is $10 as an add on, that is at least $80 in value just in the minis. Probably a little more since the Monster and Hero plus Ally minis would be $12-$15 (or more depending on how big the monster is). Whether that is "worth it" is a personal decision but I don't think $80+ of content for $45 could be considered a rip off by any objective standard. (And I realize you never said you were ripped off).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King's Pledge also comes with 4 extra scenarios.

Also, something to consider regarding price. Monolith undervalued the retail price in the KS campaign. The retail box (with no stretch goals or KSE) was supposed to be $100. As it turns out, the MSRP for retail is $120, with it being $102 at Miniature Market and Cool Stuff. So, as far as I'm concerned backers got a hell of a good deal when compared to retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I got Barbarian and received two full boxes; the base game and the stretch goals (the stretch goal box was also a stretch goal). I thought it was fairly clear during the campaign what the differences were for the pledge levels. The extras included in the King Pledge may not seem as good value due to the huge amount of free stretch goals unlocked, but as highlighted I think they are. The big difference is that the art/campaign book uses the extras in the Kings pledge, so I knew if I wanted to get that I needed to upgrade to King pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
multifish wrote:
I got Barbarian and received two full boxes; the base game and the stretch goals (the stretch goal box was also a stretch goal). I thought it was fairly clear during the campaign what the differences were for the pledge levels. The extras included in the King Pledge may not seem as good value due to the huge amount of free stretch goals unlocked, but as highlighted I think they are. The big difference is that the art/campaign book uses the extras in the Kings pledge, so I knew if I wanted to get that I needed to upgrade to King pledge.

Thanks for confirming this. And thanks to everyone else who has offered good input. Not complaining much here, just trying to better understand.

I think Paul F hit the nail on the head here, in that the King Pledge extras don't SEEM like as much a value when you consider all the other stretch goal miniatures we all unlocked. That's kinda what got me here also, aside of my misconception about box art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Crabbok wrote:
multifish wrote:

Thanks for confirming this. And thanks to everyone else who has offered good input. Not complaining much here, just trying to better understand.

I think Paul F hit the nail on the head here, in that the King Pledge extras don't SEEM like as much a value when you consider all the other stretch goal miniatures we all unlocked. That's kinda what got me here also, aside of my misconception about box art.

Good point, and I can see that if I zoom out and look at the total package minus the King bonuses. But if I compare basic Barbarian vs basic King, it looks like a better deal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
Can somebody tell me how many scenarios are in the King's pledge and how many in the Barbarian pledge?

I have the Barbarian pledge and have 8 scenarios in one booklet and 4 more in another. However, two of the extra four use Valeria which is not included in the Barbarian Pledge.

How many scenarios are included in the King's pledge? 8+4 or 8+4+4 for a total of 16?

P.S. Can somebody provide us with a scan of Valeria's character sheet so we can play the other two scenarios?

Thnx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King pledge has 8+4+4 for a total of 16.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.