Karsten Duffert
Germany
Emden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi.

As the subject states I would like to replace the monster cup with selfmade pokersize cards to determine which monster I draw.
Does anyone has a good solution for this?
I only need a program where I could insert the picture of the monster and then print them on paper.

Kind regards, Karsten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
no, I don't know of any program you could that with but I do have a question; why do you want to do this?

I use an oversize 24 oz coffee cup for my monsters (Mike Wazowski from Monsters, Inc.), it works pretty good but maybe it's a bit more wear & tear on the monster tokens so make you idea would help preserve them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
like there isn't enough cards already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not make your own without the picture - still can't really see why you would want to do this. If it is the wear and tear - you could protect them with 1 1/2" coin pockets (available from Amazon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerdy Octopus
United States
flag msg tools
I guess if you want more cards because prefer cards, that's cool.. but I feel like poker size cards would be cumbersome on the board.

Also, I have never felt like the cup I use is lacking in randomness. I just use a sock monkey coffee mug. =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernardo Gonzalez
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The statistics change if you move to a deck. Something similar was done with Catan, but it did not hold up.

What happens is that the cup, will get 'shuffled' every time you return a monster, thus the same monster can come up again once is added to the cup. For example, in a simplistic way if there are 10 tiles, and you pick one up you have 1/10 probability to pick it up. However, if you have a deck of cards and you have a discard pile, then you know that that monster is no longer a possibility on the next draw, basically 1/9, so you can card-count to figure out which monster might or not might come (thinking of it, if you don't have a discard pile and you reshuffle the card into the deck every time you kill one will solve most of the stats problem).

However, on the other hand, once you draw a monster, then you have to find the tile that correspond to the monster to move it to the board. It will slow down the game.

I personally thought of doing a randomizer as an phone app, but I hated the idea of going through all tiles to find the monster.

Ultimately I think the cup/bag works just fine.

BAG

kduffert wrote:
Hi.

As the subject states I would like to replace the monster cup with selfmade pokersize cards to determine which monster I draw.
I only need a program where I could insert the picture of the monster and then print them on paper.

Kind regards, Karsten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerdy Octopus
United States
flag msg tools
Jasnis wrote:
The statistics change if you move to a deck. Something similar was done with Catan, but it did not hold up.

What happens is that the cup, will get 'shuffled' every time you return a monster, thus the same monster can come up again once is added to the cup. For example, in a simplistic way if there are 10 tiles, and you pick one up you have 1/10 probability to pick it up. However, if you have a deck of cards and you have a discard pile, then you know that that monster is no longer a possibility on the next draw, basically 1/9, so you can card-count to figure out which monster might or not might come (thinking of it, if you don't have a discard pile and you reshuffle the card into the deck every time you kill one will solve most of the stats problem).

However, on the other hand, once you draw a monster, then you have to find the tile that correspond to the monster to move it to the board. It will slow down the game.

I personally thought of doing a randomizer as an phone app, but I hated the idea of going through all tiles to find the monster.

Ultimately I think the cup/bag works just fine.

BAG

kduffert wrote:
Hi.

Kind regards, Karsten.

Maybe I've been doing it wrong but my understanding was you discard the tiles, like you would with the clues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernardo Gonzalez
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just double checked the rules (at least the ones we have here in BGG) and you return the monster to the cup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also note that you can return a card to the deck and shuffle it, so it should work just as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy some Crown Royal, enjoy that, and boom, monster bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Maybe I've been doing it wrong but my understanding was you discard the tiles, like you would with the clues.

Defeated monsters go back to the cup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduffert wrote:
I would like to replace the monster cup with selfmade pokersize cards to determine which monster I draw.
You might be interested in this:
Monster Cards Project
Monster Cards Project #2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested to know why you want to use cards for randomizing the monsters. Are you trying to solve a problem, or do you just like cards better than reaching into a bag of tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can create new AH and EH game component with the Strange Aeons application : http://cgjennings.ca/eons/

Wouldn't poker-sized cards be too big to put onto the map? I guess they'd be a solution if you have players who can't read the small font on the cards. Or you could replace the monster tiles with mini-encounters that involve monsters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My impression from the OP was that he isn't trying to replace the Monster tokens, but just how they are randomized. So he would have the tokens arranged alphabetically somewhere nearby, and he would draw a card from his Monster Deck. If it said Goat Spawn, he would find the Goat Spawn token and put that on the board.

I think he just doesn't like throwing all the tokens into a bag, mixing them up, and reaching in and grabbing them. I think he just wants to have a deck of cards he can shuffle to determine which Monster token to put on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.