GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,046 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: If I Create a Geek List Auction, Should I Promote It? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gimo Barrera
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
We should take Bikini Bottom
badge
and push it somewhere else
mbmbmbmbmb
As in, should I post the link in the General forum, or like Hot Deals forum? Or will people find it without me having to supply a link?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you create an auction within the auctions portion of the forums, it generally self promotes. A clear or witty title or highlighting your top item can help. Those looking to browse auctions look through them pretty regularly.

The Hot Deals and General forums are for other purposes. I would think a mod would take down any cross-promotional posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Englewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hi-diddly-ho, neighborino!
badge
"I'll have a Shirley... No, a virgin... No, a children's... Oh, what the heck? You only live once. Give me a white wine spritzer! "
mbmbmbmbmb
You should absolutely promote it! In the correct places, at least. There is a sub-forum dedicated to auctions here where you can find guides and tips, along with a place to post a thread announcing your auction.

Two great resources I use are: The MetaList for Geeklist Auctions here is amazing, as is the Auction Subscription Thread here. The rules for each are posted in the header, and I advise on a thorough read through. Many people, like myself, subscribe to both of those to keep an eye out for new auctions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gimodude wrote:
As in, should I post the link in the General forum, or like Hot Deals forum? Or will people find it without me having to supply a link?

Thanks!

You can post it into GeekBay - once when it kicks off, once before it closes (your choice of when before close).

Also, don't forget to do the auction metalist thingy. Many people just subscribe to that list, and have their wants keyed from it, so whenever an auction has a game that is indexed by that metalist, a trigger goes off to the BGGer who wants that game. In short, not everyone plows through GL auction lists.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (AFK/Away)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
You may promote it but only in the Geekbay forum, promotion outside of here is not welcome.

See the Community Rules:
Quote:
Promoting a current geeklist auction is permitted in the Geekbay forum. The geeklist itself must include language stating that you will pay the 3% commission on sales facilitated by the site, as required by the Terms of Service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Answered above, but handy links and other info on the wiki page:

GeekList auction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gimo Barrera
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
We should take Bikini Bottom
badge
and push it somewhere else
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.