Anthony Calabrese
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Just some feedback on this Haunt... it was a good idea, but we came across a problem. The haunt requires the Heroes to acquire a certain number of specific omens in order to win. It's their only victory condition.
There's also a special rule that the Traitor player cannot be attacked.
So the problem comes if the Traitor happens to be holding on to enough of those specific omens. There is literally no way to get them from him (with the rare exception of Pickpocket Gloves, which IF you get them, will possibly get you one of the omens, and there's nothing stopping the Traitor from attacking you to get them back).
The problem is exacerbated by the fact that when the Traitor discovers new rooms in this Haunt, he gets to look at the top 5 room tiles and select one, making it more likely he'll be finding more omens.
This happened in our playthrough, and technically the haunt could have gone on forever with us defeating the monsters in every combat, but unable to win due to not being able to get the omens we needed.

IMO the haunt needs a rules change/update if possible. Either
1) The traitor must drop and cannot pick up omens, or
2) Eliminate the special rule where the traitor cannot be attacked, and change it to the traitor cannot be damaged, so that you can still steal items from him in combat. The purpose of the "Traitor cannot be attacked" rule seems to be because the Traitor needs to be able to explore new rooms to win. Preventing him from being damaged seems to achieve this goal without preventing the players from stealing omens.

Other than that, the haunt seems balanced and fun. Too bad that little rules issue ruined it for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I made a thread for this same haunt, and had the same experience.

I was the traitor, and had 3 of the omens the other team needed.

Someone in the thread suggested that omens be treated as items and can be stolen, and that the player can be attacked for a steal move, but as you say, not take damage.

Love this game a lot, but I wish the wording was more explicit. There never fails to be a point where somebody thinks 'no that can't be right'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
I just read through that haunt, and it doesn't really sound like it would be that big of a problem. The traitor likely won't want to keep exploring and gathering omens because he has to either kill all the heroes or get 4 of his monsters to the ballroom. Gathering omens isn't going to help you do either of those; you'll want to attack heroes to kill them/stop them from stunning your monsters/finding the omens to banish them. Heroes only have to banish a number of monsters equal to half the number of explorers (rounded up), so in a 5 or 6 player game they only need to banish 3 of the 8 possible monsters. The traitor probably won't have all 8 of the specific omens that the heroes need, so you'll be able to explore a little until you find one of the ones the traitor doesn't have, at least one of which is an omen that "can't be stolen." Sure this one seems a bit unbalanced in favor of the traitor, but I haven't come across an equally balanced haunt yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.