Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Krakoff
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just needed to vent about Amazon's shipping procedures of games. I just received the Pursuit of Happiness from Amazon Logistics without a box! They slapped a shipping label on the shrink and put it in the mail. Obviously the product didn't make it intact. I will say that customer service is replacing the item overnight and said this was the second call of this type that they received today of the same issue. Hopefully this practice is short lived as they said they are forwarding the feedback to the warehouse.

Just a heads up as I've stayed away from amazon in general due their shipping procedures/box damage in the past but this brings it to a whole new level!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you may have missed the discussion threads on this. Apparently there is a box you need to check now to receive it in a box.

A WARNING about Amazon UK Packaging.

Amazon Shipping : Talk About Cheap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully they get enough feedback to stop doing that. Packaging shouldn't even be an option that has to be selected.

After getting several damaged games from them (even the replacements arrived damaged) due to bare minimum packaging, I wrote them a quick email to explain that the box is part of the product, not something that people throw away to get the game that's inside it. But they would probably have to hear from a lot of people (and start losing money) to really care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Krakoff
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
Looks like you may have missed the discussion threads on this. Apparently there is a box you need to check now to receive it in a box.

A WARNING about Amazon UK Packaging.

Amazon Shipping : Talk About Cheap!

Wow. I didn't even think to look at past threads for this as I'd never heard of it happening before. Back to my old strategy of avoiding Amazon. It's not worth the few bucks you might save occasionally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon.de shipping games WITHOUT PUTTING THEM IN A SHIPPING CARTON now! is almost a year old, so this being a short-lived policy seems unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Krakoff
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just went back and put the game in my cart again just to see what options I had for shipping. Low and behold, I needed to check off the box to have them put it in a box! Glad customer service didn't call me out on that.

Looks like the new normal though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But with an outer shipping box, how is your postman supposed to judge your taste in games and brag/laugh about it with his/her postbuddies later? You ever think about that? No, you only think about yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ross
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't happen with all games, just to be clear. I purchase from Amazon about weekly (on average, different items and not just games), and I just received three games that were packaged appropriately and beautifully (Ta-Yu, Guetmala Cafe and Vikings). I did order Pursuit of Happiness today and I saw the new option "SHIP IN AMAZON BOX". I guess I order from them so much that the new information stood out to me right away on the product page (you learn to know where to look). Definitely something to keep an eye out for (though I don't always keep my game boxes, especially expansion boxes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is this a UK thing? I've never had it happen and ordered several from Amazon (including big games, such as Betrayal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Musolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It happens in the US too. I had this happen with a copy of Suburbia. It arrived without a box and slightly dented. I complained about it, and they sent it again the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ross
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jreilly89 wrote:
Is this a UK thing? I've never had it happen and ordered several from Amazon (including big games, such as Betrayal)

No, I'm in the US, but it's not with all games. I can only speak for the US side of this, but some games have the "ship in an Amazon box". That said, I've only seen it with Pursuit of Happiness. The other games I purchased this week were shipping normally! I just wanted to post to clarify so someone doesn't see this and think it's with every game in the US. If you go to purchase Pursuit of Happiness, you'll see on the product page that you can choose to have it ship in an Amazon box. When you actually go to checkout, you'll see that you have a small dropdown box to choose the Amazon box as well. Again, it's not with all games, though (at least in the US).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jreilly89 wrote:

Nope. I live in upstate NY and this has happened to me twice now, but only very recently (for me, anyway). The first time was in September for a Talisman expansion.

Edited to add that I ordered both games (can't remember what the second game was right now but it wasn't Pursuit of Happiness, for the record) via the Amazon phone app and there wasn't an option to choose an Amazon shipping box for either order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, thanks for the heads up, guys. I'll keep an eye out for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted about Amazon US about a month ago: Watch out ordering from Amazon.com! Looks like some items ship without boxes by default!

Unfortunately, it's scrolled off the first page so people don't see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had one shipped this way (to Washington). First time it has happened, but it is disconcerting if this is going to be the new norm. Mine was not labeled right on the shrink as I've seen in other reports, but it was shipped in a bag instead of a box and that treatment didn't do it any favors. Most of the damage ended up looking like extreme shelf wear (no crushing) so I just made a claim for a discount, since it did not appear that I bought a "new" game. They complied, after a bit of negotiating.

At any rate, going forward I will keep in eye out for that box to check...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Grimley
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've purchased probably 100 games from Amazon without damage(had some shelves disappear once, but they took care of me). Never had any show up without a box, very strange they would even consider doing that. I've had far more game boxes come from Coolstuffinc that were damaged than I ever have with Amazon. I still love Coolstuff too, and they remedied any situation I complained about. Swearing off Amazon seems like an extreme measure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe Amazon could just take the game out of the box and put all the components in a zip-lock bag? That'd save them on shipping costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
adamredwoods wrote:
Maybe Amazon could just take the game out of the box and put all the components in a zip-lock bag? That'd save them on shipping costs.

I'm pretty sure there are at least a couple games with a frustration free packaging option where they do almost exactly that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gotten a few games from Amazon, and fortunately they have all been reasonably packaged so far. I'm really hoping I remember to watch for the checkbox every time in the future.

Ironically, we received some cookware from Amazon today. It was in the manufacturer box, which was inside a cardboard box, which they put inside a larger Amazon cardboard box.
shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to see if it was actually shipped by Amazon. I received a package like this that was shipped by the publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didnt know about this until just now ... glad this discussion came up !!
Funny though I just picked up Francis Drake a few days ago from amazon and it showed up in a box ... (does prime make a difference ??)
thanks for the post though !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Krakoff
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barbarianprince wrote:
I didnt know about this until just now ... glad this discussion came up !!
Funny though I just picked up Francis Drake a few days ago from amazon and it showed up in a box ... (does prime make a difference ??)
thanks for the post though !!

Doesn't matter. Mine was prime, shipped by Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Nippon about a month ago. Amazon was the seller, Prime shipping, and they just slapped a label on the shrink. So be careful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
More Woo-Hoo Gamer reviews coming throughout 2017!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen this from Amazon. But instead of checking the box, I just always make sure to order two games at a time.

My gaming shelves that I just got this year are already full! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the policy is stupid, Pursuit of Happiness box is one of the most flimsy I've ever seen. Horrible box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.